PDA

View Full Version : Artistic Pursuits

Shoe
08-06-2010, 12:36 PM
I ordered the Junior High books for Artistic Pursuits (http://www.artisticpursuits.com/) thanks to Ann (aka Wilma) bringing them to my attention (after I lost my previous art textbook), and just got them yesterday.

It's a self-guided curriculum that incorporates hands on art projects, as well as art history and art appreciation. It looks to me like a good program and I'm excited to use it, but I'd be interested to hear anyone else's opinion who has used it in the past.

StartingOver
08-06-2010, 01:16 PM
I am going to start Artistic Pursuits with the little ones early next year. I can't wait !

Kylie
08-07-2010, 04:33 AM
I have the first one (for littlies) and we love it, although we haven't used it in ages. I would assume that the layout would be similar for all ages. It is easy to get going, little prep and we all enjoy the lessons.

Shoe
08-07-2010, 10:59 AM
It is easy to get going, little prep and we all enjoy the lessons.

That''s my impression of it. It looks like something that the kids can do with minimal oversight, which is nice, and seems to be pretty well-rounded.

Fiddler
08-21-2010, 10:56 AM
Shoe, I'd be very interested to hear more of what you think of the junior high book. I'm considering it for Jazz, but he feels very incapable when it comes to all things art. I disagree but don't know how to talk him 'round on this issue. I don't know if it would be better to go with the 4th-6th grade books instead. I know the junior high one would appeal to him more, just because it's got a kid his age (or a bit older) on the cover. :rolleyes:

Teri
08-21-2010, 11:07 AM
I taught the youngest Artistic Pursuit level (the second one with the art history) and it was wonderful!
It went so well that our co-op bought the senior high books for our big kids and they enjoyed them also.

Fiddler
08-21-2010, 11:24 AM
Teri, I'm sold on the series--it looks fabulous! I just don't know where to start my 12.5 year-old who thinks he's "bad" at art. I'm guessing I can't walk into Barnes and Noble and page through the different levels. I like the looks of the Jr. High book especially because the focus is world art instead of American art (we are studying the Eastern Hemisphere) this year, plus Jazz is adamant that, if he has to do an art program, he's not going to do it with his younger siblings.

Shoe
08-21-2010, 12:13 PM
Shoe, I'd be very interested to hear more of what you think of the junior high book. I'm considering it for Jazz, but he feels very incapable when it comes to all things art. I disagree but don't know how to talk him 'round on this issue. I don't know if it would be better to go with the 4th-6th grade books instead. I know the junior high one would appeal to him more, just because it's got a kid his age (or a bit older) on the cover. :rolleyes:I don't know what the 4th-6th grade books are like, but it seems to me that the junior high books should be workable whether he is good at art or not. My son is not very artistic, but my daughter is, and I think it will be appropriate for both of them. The instructions seem clear and easy to follow, and I don't think the concepts are overly confusing either. I'll be able to give you some better thoughts in a few weeks when my kids actually have gotten into it a bit.

Fiddler
08-21-2010, 02:17 PM
Thanks, Shoe!

BPier12
08-21-2010, 08:05 PM
I had bookmarked these books months ago and then promptly forgot about them.. Thanks for the reminder and the good feedback above. They look great and perhaps I can get my son excited about them as he is getting more interested in drawing.

Riceball_Mommy
08-22-2010, 12:13 PM
I'd really like to get these, I've looked at them before. I love that they include a bit of art history. For as much as I love art myself, and do my own artwork; I have no idea how to organize a lesson for art.