PDA

View Full Version : Sewing machine recommendations

LAR
12-02-2013, 01:32 PM
Our 10 year old wants a sewing machine, and my answer to sewing is duct tape. So, I welcome any recommendations on a sewing machine. Thanks!

Take2
12-02-2013, 02:52 PM
We bought me dd a Brother sewing machine a few years back. It was about $80 at Walmart. Honestly, one of the best gifts ever (she is now 10).
Here's my theory on sewing abilities/talents. It is an every-other-generation thing. My mom sewed EVERYTHING. I know how to sew but hate it. I have 4 sisters, none of us sew. On the other hand, I have several friends who claim their moms could not thread a needle and they are great at sewing.

murphs_mom
12-02-2013, 04:23 PM
I vote for getting anything that's basic and old school. It forces one to learn how to make a button hole manually. :p

My parents got me a Singer when I was about 14yo. Never took home ec, so my machine sat in the closet until I was maybe 19yo. An older sister taught me the basics, and I can do curtains/costume sewing now. It's a zillion years later and I'm still using that first Singer. IF I had the $ to spend, I'd upgrade only because mine is starting to act wonky. I think it's from too many moves. Anyway, it would probably cost me more to repair the thing than to buy a new one. Singer is good, Bernina is considered one of the better...if you want to get a feel for what's out there, try visiting a JoAnn's Fabrics or other fabric store that sells machines. You can even play around with some of them. It will give you an idea of the features, the price, and (more than anything) the quality. SO many of the machines now are made from really lightweight plastics. They feel really flimsy to me, but that could mean nothing. I've only got my 40# metal workhorse to compare it to. :p

DD wanted to learn sewing last spring so we got her a VERY basic, $30 Singer machine that only does a straight stitch. I wanted to see how serious she was about sewing before committing to a better machine. I told DH that if she took to the sewing stuff, I'd give her mine, and then invest in a newer machine for me. When she hits the point she's outsewing me (which wouldn't take much), I'd just let her have the newer one. So far, she's used her $30 machine to do 2 projects. She decided it was too much hassle. We'll probably revisit the idea when she's 10 or 12yo. Her call.

Epiphany
12-02-2013, 10:47 PM
I bought a Shark Europro for less than 150 a few years ago. Is a good heavy machine. Heavier than my brother was. And capable of taking a bit of a beating. Lots of features available, but I mostly just use it for the basics. No complaints.

MrsLOLcat
12-03-2013, 10:13 AM
Thanks for this thread! My DD wants a sewing machine, too. It's kind of got me irritated because my stepmother has apparently already purchased one for her, but she 'doesn't want to give it to her yet.' The kid is going to start taking sewing classes this spring - she needs the machine NOW! I'm about to go out and get another one and give it to DD and stick my tongue out at my stepmother. She's a nice woman, but... ugh.

I'm not a seamstress, either. My mom is. Her mom was. My sister is an amazing designer/seamstress - she designed and made her own wedding dress. Now my daughter's taking it up. I am the oddball in my family. I cross-stitch. End of story lol

LAR
12-03-2013, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the recommendations. I really like the recommendation to visit a Joann's to check them out. Singer is the only name I know, so I'll check out the Brother brand as well. Thanks again.

crunchynerd
12-04-2013, 12:41 AM
We bought me dd a Brother sewing machine a few years back. It was about $80 at Walmart. Honestly, one of the best gifts ever (she is now 10).
Here's my theory on sewing abilities/talents. It is an every-other-generation thing. My mom sewed EVERYTHING. I know how to sew but hate it. I have 4 sisters, none of us sew. On the other hand, I have several friends who claim their moms could not thread a needle and they are great at sewing.

I can vouch that in my case, watching my mother do battle with an antique treadle-Singer, and come out with truly excrable results (noting with disgust that the spellchecker isn't sophisticated enough to recognize words like 'excrable'), made me think sewing must be an awful chore, and I thought it amazing that anyone found it worthwhile. My mother still suggests that "we" sew once in a while, and I remind her that if she's so hot to do it, she can do it on her own. But when I use my Swedish-made workhorse Husqvarna Viking Jeansmaker, I actually enjoy what I can do with it. The hard part is not having a workshop where you can leave projects in progress, laid out. I don't have the luxury, so I don't tend to do anything too involved, because I have little kids about, and have to pack everything carefully away no matter what stage I am in. My grandmother was one who could draft patterns in her head from storefront mannequins, go home that night, and sew expensive-looking garments. Her daughter was, and still is, pretty terrible at it, and claims her fear of machines and lack of spatial sense is to blame, and I can't argue.

I like machines and have good spatial sense, and enjoy sewing when I can do it without it being a big hassle, but only when it makes sense and is of real value, and gives me something of better quality than what I could buy mass-manufactured.

So you might be onto something!

Starkspack
12-04-2013, 06:10 AM
DH of all people, bought a Brother from Walmart about 12 years ago for some long forgotten project. Since then, I took a sewing class and a quilting class, during which time I used the machine a bunch. After that, I have pulled it out from time to time, but I don't have a dedicated space, so I'm often unmotivated to clear a space, get it all set up, and commit to finishing a project in short order so that I can put it all away. Bummer, as I enjoy sewing when I do it!

All that is to say that our Brother machine is simple (I think it was around $80 when purchased) and works like a champ still.

Fairielover
12-08-2013, 01:26 PM
Singer used to be the name to go with for sewing machines. But not so much any more. I have a Brother that I really like. I also have a Brother that I don't like at all. I think it was made on a Friday afternoon because it is constantly breaking down. I also have a Singer serger. In the past I have had Kenmores and Singers. I would recommend the Brother over any of the rest of them as far as cheaper models go. Of course, for me, I would love to have a Janome but that's not in my budget. I saw a list of the top ten machines. Four of them were Brothers. My daughter has one that has an adjustable speed. That would be great for a beginner.

Aandwsmom
12-08-2013, 10:25 PM
Singer or Brother brand. Those are both great for starters.
DO NOT GO CHEAP! A $40 deal online might seem like a good deal but you get what you pay for. I learned that the hard way. I also bought an expensive WHITE brand a long time ago and fought it for years until my Mom bought me a Singer when my boys were small. I wore it out!LOL
You can get a decent Brother or Singer at Walmart for $80.
And if you find one, check reviews on it FIRST! I saw a deal for a small machine online. I went and checked reviews and they were BAD. It was not worth it to me, because overall it had like 2 good reviews out of 50 bad.
Good luck and hope she really loves sewing! I do! I really got into it when boys were little and made them costumes!

Misha
12-08-2013, 11:06 PM
I'd agree with the posters who suggested Singer or Brother. I'm interested in reading more of this thread myself since my 7 year old pressures me daily to let her use my sewing machine. If I were in the market for a new machine, I would definitely go with a Brother.

I also agree that it must be a thing that skips a generation - my mother sews beautifully - she used to make the majority of my young childhood clothes and dolls and I can barely sew a straight line. :rolleyes:

paul.will8
12-09-2013, 04:31 AM
can u recommend a good starter embroidery machine?

bibiche
12-10-2013, 01:38 AM