PDA

View Full Version : New to this, not so worried about curriculm BUT

miatalvr
08-06-2010, 12:45 AM
a little panicked about being the only fish (with feet) in my general area. We were actually inspired to hs by our neighbors, who have been doing it forever and have great kids and, more importantly to us, are very close with their kids. However, they are pretty religious and that's not our thing. What's making me a little nervous is having to deal with our school system (we're in MD, in Balto Co) and finding a group that we could maybe do activities with once in awhile. Any suggestions on where I can stumble upon one?
Thanks!

Shoe
08-06-2010, 12:54 AM
Welcome to the site. Feeling a little panicked at first is definitely a normal reaction. But keep in mind that it's hard to go wrong when your kids are as young as yours-and even if you do, kids are remarkably resilient and you have plenty of time to fix things! So relax and enjoy it. As for finding a group, maybe someone else here can help...I am sadly ignorant on this part.

As far as dealing with the school system, first it is helpful to know your state law...here's a summary of MD law from the HSLDA (http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/Maryland.pdf).

I think you'll find too that you can get a lot of support from this site-it's a great community with a lot of friendly, experienced and knowledgeable people who have been very supportive and informative for me.

Cheers.

QueenBee
08-06-2010, 09:49 AM
I don't know where in Baltimore County you are, but I used to live in Montgomery County and we drove to the CHC in Columbia... There are some groups in Harford - I'm not familiar with those, however.

As far as dealing with the school system - join an umbrella! I have gone through the school system and I've gone through an umbrella. I didn't want to "have" to do the umbrella, but in all honesty, it is so much simpler. If you join Conowingo Rising Sun (which does require "religion" or "bible", but will take any form of that - e.g., world religions, etc.) you can do a peer review with a friend that is also in Conowingo. Much better imho than my experiences with the school system, which were basically laughable.

Good luck!

pandahoneybee
08-06-2010, 03:33 PM
Welcome to the site! We have been homeschooling for over 3 years now after I pulled the boys out of PS, and i have to tell you that we are a much closer family for it! we have a teenager who loves to be by himself and with us so it is has been great for us to grow as a family and I believe that homeschooling was the key! Have you checked the resource page (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/203-Secular-Homeschool-Support-Groups-by-State) yet to see if there is a group by you? I have to say that I think that everyone needs a local group that they can click with, we are lucky enough to be by a major city so we had a couple of secular groups to check in to. Feel free to use us as an online support group!

StartingOver
08-06-2010, 05:28 PM
I am amazed at how many activities there are in my tiny town. We have a clay shop, sewing shop, karate, gymnastics, 13 parks, & etc. Most of the places I have taken the time to go in to talk with have homeschool kids that come in too. Or tons of activities in the summer. Of course I am just waiting for Quince to be 5.... as they have age limits on some of the things. Of course little siblings are welcome to tag along ! With my older children we did tons of volunteer things, and made many new friends that way.

Ask around, I bet you will find stuff to do. And many chances to spend time with people of all ages.

Kylie
08-06-2010, 07:43 PM
Welcome!

I agree that everyone needs support and friends. Being in Oz your situation maybe slightly different but I bet you will find some secular folk in those local groups, they probably just keep to themselves and it may take you awhile to 'seek them out'. In my first 18 months of homeschooling all I had was religious friends, I tried to steer towards the more open minded ones (there are some out there) and eventually word got around and now our core group is 80% secular (but we do not advertise as that in anyway). Good luck. :)

InstinctiveMom
08-08-2010, 01:58 AM
Welcome to the site, Miatalvr!

I don't have much to offer by way of specific info to your area, but we've found that the library is a good place to meet people. Parks, local charities - all kinds of places have opportunities to get involved that are not so faith based. Good luck!
~h