PDA

View Full Version : Record Keeping.

ercswf
08-05-2010, 08:58 PM
So I checked out Homschool Tracker and while I thought it looked interesting from the pictures of pages I ran into one problem. I use a mac. While my husband has windows on his computer, it is often out of the state/country.

Currently I am thinking of setting up a paper system or something on my computer that I make myself but was wanting to know if any of you know of or use a program for mac.

laundrycrisis
08-05-2010, 09:04 PM
I use a Google Docs spreadsheet.

Wilma
08-06-2010, 09:43 PM
I have just gotten Homeschool Tracker. It looks really neat but I had to have a friend come over and show me the ropes. It has a lot of options. And then I forgot how to get to one of the coolest features, so I'll have to call her tomorrow.

StartingOver
08-06-2010, 10:13 PM
I have just gotten Homeschool Tracker. It looks really neat but I had to have a friend come over and show me the ropes. It has a lot of options. And then I forgot how to get to one of the coolest features, so I'll have to call her tomorrow.

Homeschool Tracker has a HUGE learning curve. It is very difficult to get started, but is amazing when you get it figured out. I almost gave up totally. I am thrilled that I didn't !!!

JinxieFox
08-06-2010, 10:40 PM
For MACs there are a few programs, such as Homeschool Planner 2.1 (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macos/1997) and Homeschool Solutions (http://www.homeschoolsolutions.com/download.html).

I'm not sure what either of them are like (I am a PC user), but I found them by Googling "homeschool software" and Mac. Hope that helps!

Ed Ditto
08-07-2010, 08:53 AM
We keep running journal in Word -- one or two paragraphs a day describing what we did and for how long. It's simple, but our state doesn't require much in the way of record-keeping.

Wilma
08-07-2010, 10:28 AM
Homeschool Tracker has a HUGE learning curve. It is very difficult to get started, but is amazing when you get it figured out. I almost gave up totally. I am thrilled that I didn't !!!

Well, that's encouraging! Thanks!

Bellanina
08-07-2010, 10:38 AM
According to their website (http://www.homeschoolsolutions.com/faq.html), Homeschool Solutions is NOT supported on the Mac platform. Which is unfortunate, I use a Mac too!!

edit: actually if the Mac user has Virtual PC or Parallels software, then the Mac can run HomeSchool Solutions within those apps.

hockeymom
08-07-2010, 12:41 PM
We keep running journal in Word -- one or two paragraphs a day describing what we did and for how long. It's simple, but our state doesn't require much in the way of record-keeping.

We just keep a journal; often I jot things down as we do them so I don't forget. I just took a look at HT online and nearly had a panic attack. A journal is more applicable for our homeschool-of-1 and our generally interest led learning. I can see how HT would be very beneficial if you are keeping records for multiple kids though, and had the time and inclination to input everything you do every day. I'm sure it makes it easy in states that require a lot of information, too.

ercswf
08-07-2010, 03:27 PM
My state does not require much. My husband and I on the other hand love to keep records of everything to make sure we always have everything in order. (We even have full copies of our families medical and dental records at the house just in case for some reason we need our files quick)

Riceball_Mommy
01-24-2011, 10:04 AM
I found a few helpful templates through Microsoft word myself. There were templates for planners, report cards and transcripts, so if you have word you might just want to poke around the templates and if see if some of it could work for you.

Sam
01-24-2011, 11:09 AM
My area doesn't require reporting at all, but I *need* to keep records for myself. I have a paper dayplanner type of thing that I mark all the different subjects, workbooks, worksheets, crafts, whatever. For more detail I also keep a blog.

alexdk
01-24-2011, 02:50 PM
Every day I keep track of what gets done in a planner I found at a teacher's store. I like it because it's all blank, so I just add the date. I colour-code my kids (don't laugh at me now!!) and write down what they have done. I also record what we have done together and any field trips or unique activites.

At the end of the year, I make my own report cards. I don't need to supply the province with anything, but I like to keep track for my kids and myself.

MrsLOLcat
01-24-2011, 09:32 PM
I have a notebook that allows me to keep track of everything, picked it up at a local store. I write down the dates at the top of the page, and then it gives me several columns for LA, then columns for Math, Science, Social Studies/History, Art, Music, etc. I can write down what we do without getting into a lot of detail, which is totally fine because I don't technically have to record anything. I just do because I'm anal that way.

ercswf
01-25-2011, 09:21 AM
[QUOTE]I like it because it's all blank, so I just add the date. I colour-code my kids (don't laugh at me now!!) and write down what they have done./QUOTE] My boys are color coded but they actually color coded them selves. They are weird like that.

missourimom
01-25-2011, 11:02 AM
I'm using the free version of Homeschool Tracker this year but it doesn't seem to be the best fit for me. I only have one child for records at this point and I use a wide array of source material so inputting every single thing & the allotting a specific amount of time per resource annoys me. I'd rather be able to blanket Lang Arts as 1 hour & be able to attribute it to multiple resources instead of having to make 2-3 entries for 20/30 minutes each.
MO requires a specific amount of hours, a daily log, a portfolio & evaluations if you are ever called upon by the Prosecuting Atty. Most people I've met say 'less is more' as far as records & to not offer up anything more than you have to so I'm on the fence with HT. Plus, even with the amount of time we're on the computer I find myself forgetting to enter all the times we spent on this & that. As technologically inclined as our family is...I'm leaning towards creating a binder for each year to contain an attendance sheet with hours, a book log, a resource log, a portfolio, etc... I just haven't quite figured out how I want to put it all together.

Sam
01-25-2011, 01:40 PM
donnayoung.org has some great tracking sheets if you want to go the binder route.