PDA

View Full Version : Gluten free anyone?

SherryZoned
08-05-2010, 06:27 PM
So we are trying to go gluten free again. We attempted this 2 years ago and just did not work out for various reasons.
My oldest son was diagnosed with bi polar years ago and thankfully we have it under control with no medication. However, he is hitting puberty soon and I am very fearful of what will happen. My 5 year old is kind of a whiny child lol plus he is so sensitive to chemicals and everything else.
Actually will be easier this time around. A lot has changed since 2 years ago and the products are a lot more available on amazon and regular grocery stores.
I know that even if we do not have a gluten intolerance problem that it still says it makes your blood cleaner.
Healthier is better, plus always a great excuse to never eat out again HAHAHA

Anyone else doing this? I know there are a couple of you out there.

dbmamaz
08-05-2010, 06:34 PM
The boys and I have been gluten free for . . maybe 2 years now. I have a few recipes on my blog. I actually have a lot of food allergies and yeast even bothers me, so I cant eat much of the gluten free products on the market, tho the boys can if they are dairy-free. The boys are off gluten and dairy, Orion is off of tomatoes, Raven is off dyes and eggs. My husband cant eat onions and I cant have tapioca or sorghum flour or xanthan gum, or green peas or turmeric. we all have trouble with beef. urggg.

QueenBee
08-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Hi there! I am completely gluten-free (I am a Celiac). There are definitely more products available even at the local grocer than a few years ago. I live in a rural area and even we have gluten-free products in the local market. And there are wonderful blogs with great recipes. I'm happy to share anything if you have any questions!

schwartzkari
08-05-2010, 07:56 PM
I don't have any recipes to share BUT you live in Texas (and I'm pretty sure in my general area). Have you visited Sprouts Market? They carry a ton of gluten free products. Infact, they sell this delicious orange chicken that is gluten free (I could eat it every day! lol). Every couple of months they have a big sale on all their gluten free groceries, plus Wednesdays is their "double ad" day, so you can save a bunch of money.

SherryZoned
08-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Yes I have been to Sprouts. They just opened one in Cedar Hill which is a lot closer then the other one! I will have to check out their gluten section when I get there again. Mostly I am an amazon shopper. lol

oh wow Cara..that sounds rough with everyone and their food issues..

Anything you can share QueenBee would be great! We are going to be doing this for a minimum of 3 months to see if there are any noticeable differences..

I do try and keep my kids away from dyes, preservatives.. I have not been able to keep them from dairy though. My oldest loves cheese and the middle child loves yogurt. We do not drink cows milk at all. I usually make almond milk when I am not being lazy about it.

dbmamaz
08-05-2010, 11:23 PM
I miss cheese almost every day. some days its really painful. Dh and i have agreed that some day when I have a 3 day break from all responsibilities, we'll go back to the Melting Pot and have fondue, and then i'll spend 3 days sick in bed. but it will be worth it! (that was our favorite date spot)

Gwenhwyfar
08-08-2010, 07:36 AM
We don't follow a gf diet here, but a friend of mine does and I just sent these blogs to her the other day (recipes/photos)

Gluten-Free Goddess (http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/)
I Am Gluten Free (http://iamglutenfree.blogspot.com/)
Cindalou's Kitchen Blues (http://cindalouskitchenblues.blogspot.com/)