PDA

View Full Version : Long roadtrip coming up, got any tips?

summer94
11-25-2013, 04:10 PM
So I have decided to go "home" for the holidays in a few weeks. I live in Washington state (Vancouver, just north of Portland, OR) and am driving to Austin, then over to Shreveport, LA, then over to Birmingham, AL.
Just me and my 3 kids ages almost 15, 12 & 10.

I've done it before, but they were younger.

Now, I'm wanting to stop over at interesting places, would love some "oddities". Not sure of our route just yet, it totally depends on the weather, one way could have us driving in a lot of mt passes with snow (going over Id, to WY, and down, or ID, to UT, CO, NM across TX) or the other way which is longer straight down I5 through CA, across AZ, NM, TX which is less potential for snow, but yea, longer.

I'm good on electronics, so any fun apps, free preferably, and computer games, educational or not that you're older kids like?

Also any fun educational activities that don't seem "lame"... as my unimpressed kids are unimpressed. lol (I sooo wish they could see the "wonder" in things like I do).

Or any random tips in general?

I've moved my 2 homeschool kids "workboxes" into one of those multi file folders so we can do some school on the road.

Take2
11-25-2013, 04:52 PM
My tip: take wine.

summer94
11-25-2013, 08:28 PM
hahaha, Well, I don't drink wine and I'm a mega lightweight, so no drinking for me! lol

They will all each have a laptop and I think our route will change during the trip depending on weather, so maybe as/if it changes I'll have them fine cool places on the route.

As for earbuds, oh, that's definitely covered! I make all of them wear headphones, I don't want to hear any of their games and such! lol

We aren't doing a full school schedule for the workboxes. Just the basics like math and some grammar stuff. I also have some educational "games" from Critical Thinking Co that I'll have them do, as well as online ed games and curricula (I have mobile tethering on my phone, so they'll be able to get online).

Thanks! Keep the tips coming!

ksb427
11-25-2013, 08:33 PM
We love listening to podcasts when we travel.

Car Talk
NPR: TED Radio Hour
One Species at at Time
Science Friday
StarTalk Radio

I'd love to take a road trip like that!

murphs_mom
11-26-2013, 09:45 PM
Have you asked them to research things they might be interested in seeing or doing along the route?