considering to start homeschooling our children in the near
future. I'm looking to exchange information and/or
ideas/methods with experienced parents.

Also, What can anybody recommend as far as curriculum is
concerned? Maybe I'm jumping the gun? I'm really new to
this. any help is appreciated. Thanks!

schwartzkari
08-04-2010, 08:59 PM
Hi Bob, what grades will your kiddos be in?
I have a 1st grader and a "pre" preschooler. LOL.
One book I always like to recommend is "Home Learning Year by Year" by Rebecca Rupp.
Otherwise, I piece together my daughter's curriculum, so I can't really recommend a boxed-set BUT I know there are plenty of others on this site with knowledge about curriculum :)

Topsy
08-04-2010, 09:40 PM
Bob, welcome to the site!! It's really tough to make any recommendations unless we know a little more about your kids. But this is a GREAT place to come for advice and support...we have an incredible group of homeschooling parents around SHS!! :)

camaro
08-04-2010, 09:58 PM
Hi, Bob. My wife and I started homeschooling our kids a year ago and found the choices of curriculum almost overwhelming. There's just so much to choose from. A lot of it depends on how best your children so if you have any ideas on that it does help a little, but sometimes you end of making a few changes as time goes by and you and your children adjust to homeschooling.

StartingOver
08-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Yes we would be glad to help, but we need some more information. What state are you in? The laws are different and may affect our recommendations. How old are your children? Are they having any issues in school ? Do both your wife and you work? Some curriculum takes much more time. Do you have any idea how you would like to teach, literature based, project based, online learning & etc.

I am sure you will get tons of help. Welcome to the site.

Shoe
08-05-2010, 01:56 AM
Welcome to the site, Bob. Always great to meet another homeschooling dad. I'm sure you'll find a lot of answers to your questions here-there are a lot of knowledgeable and friendly folks here. I look forward to hearing more. I also highly recommend Rebecca Rupp's Home Learning Year by Year (http://www.amazon.com/Home-Learning-Year-Homeschool-Curriculum/dp/0609805851) as a good place to start to think about curriculum.

Cheers.

InstinctiveMom
08-05-2010, 10:00 PM
Hi Bob! Welcome :)
One of the most applicable things I've read if you're coming out of public school is not to buy curriculum for the first year. I can agree with that; our style has changed significantly in the 8 months that we've been homeschooling, and I can see more changes on the horizon.
Like the others have said, ages/grades will garner more specific recommendations - we all have suggestions!
Warmly,
~h