PDA

View Full Version : Looking for homeschool band opportunities

crazytxmom
11-12-2013, 08:47 AM
My eighth-grader wants to homeschool. The only thing currently keeping her in public school is band. Actually, that's the only reason any math homework gets turned in at all - band.

I've seen homeschool rock bands and orchestras, but nothing in the way of the concert/marching band experience that is found in public schools. Is there anything out there?

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
11-12-2013, 12:08 PM
Have you asked homeschoolers in your area? We seem to have a lot of musicians in our homeschool community, so I often hear about kids participating in everything from klezmer bands to Irish fiddling to choral groups.

murphs_mom
11-12-2013, 12:21 PM
Depending on what instrument she plays, the Salvation Army might be an option. Our local SA has a band of volunteers that performs in local parades and for the holiday season at some of the larger stores. We also have celtic groups, the county has a volunteer band that does a few concerts in the park each year, and the local college has individual groups that have formed their own bands/groups. She could always check the posting on the campus bulletin board. Worst case scenario, maybe she can start her own band of homeschoolers who can perform at various local functions. There are probably other HSers who'd love to get together. :)

Teri
11-12-2013, 12:33 PM
In our area, that's one of the hardest extras that I have had to look for in our area.
We have done summer band camps at the local high schools.
My daughter (piano) plays in an Irish band, which she loves.
She plays bells for our German dance group.
There is a Boy Scout crew that just started a band near us, but I think it is the only one in the country. Girls can do that.
There is a "home school band", but it has never struck me as a good match for us.

dbmamaz
11-12-2013, 02:04 PM
There are a very few around here - we joined one new one and it turned out to be only two kids and my son didnt keep up. are you sure he cant still do band? Or even join a community adult band?

farrarwilliams
11-12-2013, 02:40 PM
There are a lot of youth orchestras around here, but the band thing is something I wouldn't know how to match. Homeschooling can come up with a good substitute for nearly everything... but this might be one place it falls short. Marching band is just so tied to the school culture - sports + cheer + band all together...