PDA

View Full Version : Looking for documentaries or movies about colonial America

dbsam
11-07-2013, 06:50 PM
We watched PBS's documentary/reality TV show "Colonial House" last month and the kids really enjoyed it.
We've put together a list of books we are getting from the library about colonial times but the kids would like to watch another show.
Any suggestions?
TIA

farrarwilliams
11-07-2013, 08:46 PM
Ha. That's funny. I clicked on this to suggest Colonial House!

I feel like we watched a couple of other things, but nothing stands out. Mostly we read books. There were sooooo many.

Oh, I know. Even if you don't read Ben and Me, the Disney adaptation, which is about half an hour, is pretty easily found online.

dbsam
11-07-2013, 09:21 PM
Ha. That's funny. I clicked on this to suggest Colonial House!

My children loved Colonial House and want to watch the other 'house' series too. It really made them appreciative of our fridge, food and bathtub!
I had never heard of 'Ben and Me' but we will look for it at the library. Thanks!

Crabby Lioness
11-08-2013, 02:16 AM
Some people like Liberty's Kids, but the historical inaccuracies (sometimes outright lies) drive me up the wall. I can't recommend it.

dbsam
11-08-2013, 02:58 AM
A little OT, but when I borrowed 'Colonial House' I also borrowed 'American Experience: We Shall Remain'. We didn't watch it because I wasn't sure if my children were too young; they're nine. I searched online and could not find an age recommendation. I didn't have time to preview the disks. Has anyone seen it? Would it be too much for sensitive 9yo's.

dbsam
11-08-2013, 02:59 AM
Some people like Liberty's Kids, but the historical inaccuracies (sometimes outright lies) drive me up the wall. I can't recommend it.

The inaccuracies would bother me too. Thanks for letting me know.

farrarwilliams
11-08-2013, 09:44 AM
What inaccuracies did you see, Crabby? I didn't watch most of them, but the ones I saw I was actually surprised by how much nuance it had - for what it was, of course.

leakyowl
11-08-2013, 01:12 PM
I can't vouch for any of these, but I did find a pretty good list of colonial-era documentaries: The Historical Society: Some Films I Use for My Colonial American History Course (http://histsociety.blogspot.com/2010/10/some-films-i-use-for-my-colonial.html)
America: The story of Us has a good episode about this era, too.