PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Facebook with Kids...

Mum
10-24-2013, 01:30 PM
Long time, no see, y'all. I've been MIA here because, well... you know... life, etc.

So today the huz and I opened a highly supervised FB account for DS11. We decided that it would be in everyone's best interests for a couple of reasons.

Most of his friends in the neighborhood have already opened accounts SECRETLY. By giving him the freedom to have an account now, we hope that there will be less temptation for him to open one up secretly so that he can connect with his friends.

Also, we have a huge extended family. He's able to interact with cousins, aunts, uncles, great aunts, and close family friends who can encourage him and act as good role models for him as he enters his adolescence.

So, what I'm considering now is how much of a formal homeschooling tool I could/should use this for. It would be nice to simply post articles and videos on his wall that he needs to review day by day. Until now I had to pull up each website for him.

But maybe FB should be used strictly for his own social interactions.

Thoughts?

inmom
10-24-2013, 02:02 PM
I waited until my daughter was 16 to let her have one. We know her password, and she knows that. However, this is just a way for her to keep in touch with friends, family, and teen writing/blogging cohorts. Anything she gets from me educationally is through her regular email, if it's a website or pdf. I guess I'm voting for just letting it be social. (As a side note, you might find the excitement of having an account dies quickly.....)

dbmamaz
10-24-2013, 03:12 PM
We're waiting on facebook until he's 13, because thats what the fb rules are. But i did make a joint google account with im, so he has an email address he uses, and he also has skype. I sometimes email links for him, and he emails to his dad, and skypes with friends

I do sometimes link my teen to articles on fb, but he's reading more for his own interest at this point than the 10 yo is

crunchymum
10-24-2013, 03:21 PM
My 15 y/o recently started on facebook.
I do use it "educationally" mostly to forward cool articles and websites to him that come across my own fb feed. He also follows some things that would be educational - coursera, crash course history guys, a couple of favourite authors etc. Mostly he uses it like I do - one part pure social, one part a quasi-current events source, one part educational.

melissa
10-24-2013, 03:22 PM
Ds is only 6, so I'm no help here, but I'm so glad to see you back Mum!

Anon2
10-24-2013, 05:12 PM
Sounds like you made a good choice for your situation.

Personally, we're waiting. My 14yr old daughter wants FB but so far we've said no and she uses Gmail/chat instead.

Lately she's been agitating again and I told her I'd consider it if she wrote me a paper on privacy issues for teens using FB. So far, the paper hasn't appeared :)

When she is 15/16, I'll consider it again more seriously... though with so many adults on FB, isn't it getting too mainstream for teens ?

The potential of FB to be toxic for teens, especially teen girls, seems high to me.

dbmamaz
10-24-2013, 06:55 PM
actually, my 17 yo has just about quit using it. My daughter defriended me, so i dont really know.

farrarwilliams
10-24-2013, 10:34 PM
Have him like the blog The Kid Should See This. Then their videos will pop up in his feed. :)

I haven't let the ds9's have FB. But they also don't seem that interested really.

Gummers
10-25-2013, 03:15 AM
I'll likely let DD have one when she is 12 ish. Right now its just not needed. She's got email and can skype with family.

Also none of her friends have it.

Teri
10-25-2013, 09:51 AM
We do 13, since that is a FB rule.

inmom
10-25-2013, 11:07 AM
What actually bothers me more with kids than Facebook is Tumblr. I think for a lot of kids, Facebook is so "old person," so yesterday. My daughter uses Tumblr far more. Have you seen what is posted there?!? Let's just say they could get a thorough, if not slightly twisted, sex education there. I'm by no means a prude (ask dh :)), but geeez!

Avalon
10-25-2013, 11:37 AM
We let dd have an account shortly before she turned 13. She was at junior high school, and it seemed to be the main way that kids communicate with each other, aside from texting. She still uses it primarily for chatting with friends, and rarely posts anything herself. She says that my facebook feed is much more interesting than hers. My friends post interesting articles and photos. Her friends post moronic stuff like "click share if you care about starving babies" or "like = 1 prayer, share = 1000 prayers". She can't stand it.

I don't go to heroic lengths to supervise her use of it, but then we do spend all day together, and she talks to me about virtually everything, so as long as I don't feel like she's being secretive, I'm not really worried. She needs to have semi-private access to her friends at some point, and she can't hang out with them in the cafeteria every day.

ginnyjf
10-26-2013, 06:32 PM
I let Zack open a Facebook account but since the age rule is 13, it was deleted. His posts weren't inappropriate, but I guess they could tell his age from his user pic. The same thing happened to a friend of his that he wanted to stay in touch with; one day his Facebook account was deleted without warning. So now they have to wait until they're both actually 13!

Mum
10-26-2013, 06:41 PM
I let Zack open a Facebook account but since the age rule is 13, it was deleted. His posts weren't inappropriate, but I guess they could tell his age from his user pic. The same thing happened to a friend of his that he wanted to stay in touch with; one day his Facebook account was deleted without warning. So now they have to wait until they're both actually 13!

I'm sure that will eventually happen to him too then, since he looks more like an 8 yr old. Heheh.

Thanks for the feedback, y'all. For now I guess I'll just let him use it for interacting with the fam.

zcat
10-29-2013, 07:12 PM
When dd turned 13 we let her have a FB account. It was purely for social interaction. She posted inappropriately several times (I got complaints from family members, etc), broke our rules for how she could use it and I decided she wasn't ready for it. We are working on it.
She still has internet access for e-mail or looking at some web sites.

lakshmi
11-01-2013, 05:18 PM
Mum go edit your post.. :) is B 13? lol.

use it for all it's worth.. make it fun , make it work, and use the messages on there.. because it gives a time when he READ THEM. so no sneaking.. "oh i didn't see that mom…!!"

post away

Use older B's photo.. hell use younger b's photo!! they do monitor the posts and stuff though..so.. Good luck and looking forward to see what you do with him.

Mum
11-01-2013, 09:45 PM
Update: His first post was the word "poop". I'm pretty sure they're going to catch on regardless of his picture. LOL

leakyowl
11-04-2013, 10:09 AM
I have a photo album on FB for my son. He's only 10 and doesn't really care about anything on it. But he does take lots of pictures of the school work we're doing. He uploads them and captions them. My family loves seeing what we're doing and it makes him type more.

Crabby Lioness
11-04-2013, 10:22 AM
My 14yo thinks it's a bit creepy.

MistyDixon
11-05-2013, 10:40 AM
My son was allowed to open one for his 14th birthday, this past August. The account is private (meaning only friends can see any posts), and he uses a pseudonym and random pic (meaning not of his face) for his profile. This way, only approved friends and family members can find him. Typing this, I realized how absolutely nuts and controlling that sounds, but it certainly makes me more comfortable with it. I do not check his private messages, but I monitor his posts. He has a Net-Nanny system on his computer as well. So, if any of his friends send him something inappropriate, he'd be unable to open it.