PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy books

MrsLOLcat
10-14-2013, 12:23 PM
My boy absolutely loves the Eragon series. He's also working his way through the Belgariad series by David Eddings. Any other fantasy books your kids of this age love?

freedomfamily
10-14-2013, 01:38 PM
Sam loves fantasy too. She likes the Warriors books. They are about cats. Also the His Dark Materials trilogy was a good one for her.
Here are some books recommended to Sam by a librarian that I trust.

Bartimaeus series by Jonathan Stroud The Official Bartimaeus Site (http://www.bartimaeusbooks.com/)
Charestomanci books by Diana Wynne jones Chrestomanci series by Diana Wynne Jones (http://www.goodreads.com/series/43763-chrestomanci)
Abhorsen trilogy by Garth Nix Abhorsen series by Garth Nix (http://www.goodreads.com/series/44888-abhorsen)

BakedAk
10-14-2013, 01:39 PM
I don't know the Belgariad series. My Girl liked Eragon, but not the 2nd book, but she's liking the Deltora books by Emily (?) Rodda. Has your guy read them?

MrsLOLcat
10-15-2013, 11:27 AM
Yes! The Warriors books. He does adore those. And The 39 Clues books, though he says those are rather boring and dull at this point. He likes a challenge. Thanks for the recommendations! Oh, and my sister has recommended the Enchanted Forest Chronicles, which has a female protagonist.

BakedAk
10-15-2013, 01:41 PM
Ooooh - a female protagonist! Girl will like that!

hockeymom
10-15-2013, 01:49 PM
Fablehaven series--Brandon Mull
the Edge Chronicles--Paul Stewart
Beyonders series--Brandon Mull
Jaguar Stones series--J&P Voelkel

I'll ask DS for more. He's all about fantasy right now, but I haven't been keeping track of what he's reading.

hockeymom
10-15-2013, 01:50 PM
I guess anything by Rick Riordan fits into this category? DS read every.single.book he's written over the summer.

Norm Deplume
10-16-2013, 11:36 AM
I want to second Fablehaven. Our 11yo girl read the first one, then demanded that I did. Mr Deplume has also since read it. We're all getting ready to pass around the second in the series.

DD has also read Savvy by Ingrid Law recently and really liked it, but I don't know much about it.

atomicgirl
10-16-2013, 11:55 AM
My daughter loved "Lord of the Rings", the "Inkheart" trilogy, everything Rick Riordan has written, the "Septimus Heap" series, the "Narnia Chronicles" and "The Chronus Chronicles". My sister-in-law (Eng lit, phd) recommends anything by Garth Nix. Below is the Fantasy section of the "suggested reading list" I assembled for my daughter this year (Forgive me for not taking the time to format the titles correctly):

Tuck Everlasting Natalie Babbitt
The Chronicles of Prydain series Lloyd Alexander
The Earthsea Cycle series Ursula K. Le Guin
The Giver Lois Lowry
The Wolves of Willoughby Chase Joan Aiken
The Princess Bride S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure William Goldman
The Last Unicorn Peter S. Beagle
Eragon Paolini, Christopher
SERAPHINA Hartman, Rachel
Savvy Ingrid Law
The Boggart Susan Cooper
Wildwood Colin Meloy
The Last Apprentice: Revenge of the Witch Robert Zelaney [Very Scary, I hear]
Peter and the Starcatchers Dave Barry
The Fire Within Chris D'Lacey
Circle of Magic Tamora Pierce
The Enchanted Forest Chronicles Book 1: Dealing with Dragons Patricia C. Wrede
The Egypt Game Zilpha Keatley Snyder
Sabriel Garth Nix
Inkheart Cornelia Funke
Dragonsong Anne McCaffrey
Sea of Trolls Nancy Farmer
Mr. Monday Garth Nix
The Escape of Princess Madeline Kristin Pulioff
The Last Dragonslayer Jasper Fforde

MrsLOLcat
10-17-2013, 10:23 AM
Thanks so much!! That's awesome. And the boy discovered a trilogy yesterday by Emily Rodda called the Three Doors. I have no idea if it's any good but wanted to add it to the list, anyway :) Oh, and I handed the boy Ender's Game the other day, too.

Gummers
10-18-2013, 12:57 PM
If he likes the belgariad, he might also like some of the other fantasy from that time - like the dragonlance chronicles (only the ones by margaret weiss and tracy hickman). I read those when I was 11/12.

JenWrites
10-28-2013, 11:52 AM
My daughter reluctantly began reading "Gregor the Overlander" for her book club, but about three chapters in, she was hooked. She tore through all five Underland Chronicles books in less than two weeks and has re-checked them out from the library so she can read them again.

Mum
11-01-2013, 09:42 PM
DS has enjoyed a lot of Cornelia Funke's (http://www.scholastic.com/corneliafunke/novels.htm) books. They're all fantasy.

This summer we read Ghost Knight (http://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Knight-ebook/dp/B0048EKF1I/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1383356399&sr=1-9) together and loved it! It made him want to learn more about Medieval History and he started drawing castles. She has a cool novel we want to read next about a young female knight. It's called Igraine the Brave.

ScienceGeek
12-29-2013, 07:52 PM
The Last Apprentice series by Joseph Delaney - these are pretty dark - the boy is a Spook's Apprentice (the name of the book in UK) which means he's learning how to deal with witches and other things that go bump in the night. I'v read the first two and they have some gross stuff in them but my 13 year old is enjoying them and one of his younger friends (10) read 8 of them in a month!! I read the The Black Cauldron series out loud, it was one of my favorites as a kid.The Black Cauldron (The Chronicles of Prydain) (http://www.amazon.com/Black-Cauldron-Chronicles-Prydain-ebook/dp/B005EYXACW/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1388364612&sr=1-2&keywords=the+black+cauldron) by Alexander, Lloyd
The Graveyard book by Neil Gaimon - fantastic book. A new twist on the Jungle book.

My 10 year old just started reading the Artemis Fowl books but I haven't gotten much feedback on them yet.

Batgirl
12-30-2013, 07:14 PM
How about Lloyd Alexander and Susan Cooper? They each wrote wonderful series based on Welsh/British mythology as well as a number of standout individual novels. Watership Down by Richard Adams might be worth a try at his age.

iris0110
01-02-2014, 05:46 PM
My oldest is big on Fantasy too, or anything with Dragons really.

He loved Earthsea, I read The Princess Bride to him when he was little as well as The Never Ending Story. Both of my boys found The Last Unicorn a little dull but I might offer it up again as I love Peter S Beagle.

Right now he is working through The Tales of the Frog Princess by E. D. Baker series.

and he read the first book of Wings of Fire by Tui T Sutherland and enjoyed it so I expect he will be reading that soon.