PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Used "Math Doesn't Suck" As A Math Book?

LillyMunster
10-03-2013, 11:25 AM
Has anyone actually used this as a math book for the year? Math Doesn't Suck: How to Survive Middle-School Math Without Losing Your Mind or Breaking a Nail by Danica McKellar | 9780452289499 | Paperback | Barnes & Noble (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/math-doesnt-suck-danica-mckellar/1008421034?ean=9780452289499&itm=1&usri=9780452289499)

The daughter has struggled with finding a math book or program that she can stay motivated enough to use it. I have her currently using the 7th grade math book in CK-12, she likes it better than the math in Time4Learning but still is frustrated. She seems to understand how to do the work but does it in a different way, still getting a technically correct result but the final expression doesn't match the answer key. :-)

The Math Doesn't Suck book seems to engage in more practical way and the process for solving the problems seems a bit less abstract. My main concern is will this fly as a substitute for 8th grade math? We are trying to follow SD and MN standards since we live in SD but may end up moving to MN. SD only makes them take the standardized test at the end of 8th. MN looks at your records of the students work.

dbmamaz
10-03-2013, 12:00 PM
I've heard great things about it - what i hear is that taking a break from math and letting your daughter go through Danica's books can reset her attitude towards math, and make progress easier afterwards.

Accidental Homeschooler
10-03-2013, 07:06 PM
I have the Hot x: Algebra Exposed! book by her. I am not a math person and I find her explanations very easy to understand.

Maxaroo
10-03-2013, 11:34 PM
I just looked at these on Amazon last night and was impressed enough to put them on the wish list. Is there anything comparable targeted to boys? I wouldn't mind at all using Danica's books for my 14 year old son who dislikes math. Might be an adventure!

dbmamaz
10-03-2013, 11:40 PM
Vicki, have you looked at Life of Fred? and Murderous Maths?

arborite
10-15-2013, 10:00 PM
Danica's books are great but they are a stimulus rather than a curriculum. LOF is a curriculum, and it is engaging.