PDA

View Full Version : Hi, folks.

Ed Ditto
07-30-2010, 04:22 PM
My wife and I are homeschooling a six year-old...and ourselves, in the process...in East Tennessee. We're both stay-at-home parents: I'm a working writer (just finished putting authoring a creative writing homeschool curriculum, in fact) and my wife's a Domestic Goddess in every sense of the word.

Happy to be here.

Ed

Topsy
07-30-2010, 05:19 PM
Welcome, Ed!! Just Facebooked/Tweeted about your curriculum...it looks terrific. I also passed it along to a colleague who has a site about homeschool literature. I feel sure she will be contacting you! Look forward to seeing you around the site!

StartingOver
07-30-2010, 05:25 PM
Welcome, Ed!! Just Facebooked/Tweeted about your curriculum...it looks terrific. I also passed it along to a colleague who has a site about homeschool literature. I feel sure she will be contacting you! Look forward to seeing you around the site!

Oh now that just isn't fair !!!!!!!! WHAT IS IT ?????????? Share, share, I want to see the creative writing curriculum. * POUT *

Edit: I spoke to soon, just got your post !!!! hehe

StartingOver
07-30-2010, 05:31 PM
Ok, I must order this next week......... just to check it out. Welcome to the group Ed. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have !

Ed Ditto
07-30-2010, 07:13 PM
Wow...to be honest, I downplayed the curriculum a little because I'm a new guy and I didn't want to look like I was spamming the board.

But since folks seem interested, below is a description from my website (http://www.edditto.com) where you can find a sample as well as info on how to order. And of course feel free to contact me with questions...there's a contact info page on the site.

Thanks, everyone...

Ed

-----

Reading your favorite novel is like having its author as your own personal writing coach. That’s because a good writer puts everything he knows about his craft on every page he writes. And that knowledge is fully available to you, once you’ve trained your eyes to see what’s on those pages — and what isn’t.

In my new novel, Gunrunner Moon, two homeschooled teenagers run afoul of an international crime ring as they race to discover what became of a Confederate smuggler’s lost fortune. And in a twenty-five lesson companion guide, Lessons in Novel-Writing, I use the text of Gunrunner Moon to open the eyes of students to the techniques successful authors use to work their magic.

Each lesson includes practical writing exercises designed not only to teach aspiring authors the fundamentals, but also to give them a head start on working some magic themselves. At the conclusion of the course students will have a new understanding of the principles of good writing – and they’ll be putting that knowledge to work in a novel of their own.

StartingOver
07-30-2010, 07:15 PM
Wow...to be honest, I downplayed the curriculum a little because I'm a new guy and I didn't want to look like I was spamming the board.

But since folks seem interested, below is a description from my website (http://www.edditto.com) where you can find a sample as well as info on how to order. And of course feel free to contact me with questions...there's a contact info page on the site.

Thanks, everyone...

Ed

-----

Reading your favorite novel is like having its author as your own personal writing coach. That’s because a good writer puts everything he knows about his craft on every page he writes. And that knowledge is fully available to you, once you’ve trained your eyes to see what’s on those pages — and what isn’t.

In my new novel, Gunrunner Moon, two homeschooled teenagers run afoul of an international crime ring as they race to discover what became of a Confederate smuggler’s lost fortune. And in a twenty-five lesson companion guide, Lessons in Novel-Writing, I use the text of Gunrunner Moon to open the eyes of students to the techniques successful authors use to work their magic.

Each lesson includes practical writing exercises designed not only to teach aspiring authors the fundamentals, but also to give them a head start on working some magic themselves. At the conclusion of the course students will have a new understanding of the principles of good writing – and they’ll be putting that knowledge to work in a novel of their own.

I must admit that I am a curriculum junkie........In 23 years, I have NEVER found a writing curriculum I love. Many I can tolerate... but I just must look at anything new, hoping some day I will find something that I love !

I tend to like curriculum written by homeschooler more though !

Ed Ditto
07-30-2010, 07:42 PM
"In 23 years, I have NEVER found a writing curriculum I love. "

StartingOver: Why's that?

StartingOver
07-30-2010, 08:01 PM
"In 23 years, I have NEVER found a writing curriculum I love. "

StartingOver: Why's that?

For one there are very few secular writing curriculums out there that aren't public school texts. Many will cover a few or more components well, but never the whole sha-bang ! They teach the grammar of writing, but not how to write at all. Programs that don't teach how to do a research paper. Programs that have no writing of poetry.

I will be doing WWE for the early elementary years, and hoping still to find something complete later. I was intrigued by Classical Writing, only to find out that it is not easy to secularize.

Ed Ditto
07-30-2010, 08:53 PM
I see. Well, Gunrunner Moon:

1) Is secular, yet family friendly. The main characters are moral people but religion simply isn't mentioned.
2) Takes a deconstructionist approach. The study guide breaks down excerpts from the novel to demonstrate the techniques authors use, and assigns students exercises in those techniques.
3) Covers everything from soup to nuts. It follows the creative writing process from the conception of an idea to the sale and publication of the finished work. And while it isn't a grammar text, it does include grammar reinforcement (a la Strunk & White).
4) Discusses not only how to write well, but how and why to be a good writer...i.e., daily writing habits, knowledge of tools (like word processing and web research), the principles of clear communication, etc.

Thanks again for the interest...

StartingOver
07-30-2010, 08:58 PM

1) Is secular, yet family friendly. The main characters are moral people but religion simply isn't mentioned.
2) Takes a deconstructionist approach. The study guide breaks down excerpts from the novel to demonstrate the techniques authors use, and assigns students exercises in those techniques.
3) Covers everything from soup to nuts. It follows the creative writing process from the conception of an idea to the sale and publication of the finished work. And while it isn't a grammar text, it does include grammar reinforcement (a la Strunk & White).
4) Discusses not only how to write well, but how and why to be a good writer...i.e., daily writing habits, knowledge of tools (like word processing and web research), the principles of clear communication, etc.

Thanks again for the interest...

I was already sold from your website, I must get it to check it out !! I will be sure to tell you what I think.

SherryZoned
07-30-2010, 09:13 PM
Oh nice! I love books. I am working on one.. (aren't we all?) lol I am checking out your site now.. My oldest loves to write also. Granted it is more like fan fiction with Pokemon. Intrigued by this course! I will wait until StartingOver gets hers because well one I can not afford it right now and 2 she says what she thinks about something LOL!

StartingOver
07-30-2010, 10:12 PM
I will wait until StartingOver gets hers because well one I can not afford it right now and 2 she says what she thinks about something LOL!
Hmmmmmmm I guess I will choose to take that one as a compliment ! Yeah I have never been one to mince words, most people don't appreciate it much though. ;-)

SherryZoned
07-30-2010, 11:27 PM
Hmmmmmmm I guess I will choose to take that one as a compliment ! Yeah I have never been one to mince words, most people don't appreciate it much though. ;-)

That is a compliment. I am blunt myself.. I just do not sugar coat what I think. So I appreciate when other people do not either. lol

StartingOver
07-30-2010, 11:48 PM
That is a compliment. I am blunt myself.. I just do not sugar coat what I think. So I appreciate when other people do not either. lol

Hehe I knew that. LOL

pandahoneybee
07-31-2010, 07:01 AM
Welcome to the site ED! I see that you have already met some of our great members! Hope to hear more from you soon!

Ed Ditto
07-31-2010, 10:46 AM
Sherry: "I love books. I am working on one.."

Don't stop! Where are you in the process?

SherryZoned
07-31-2010, 12:07 PM
Ed:
I am at the beginning lol. I am only 3000 words in. But I do know where it is going. I think it is really good concept. Something I have not read before...I read a lot.

I am hoping to start back working on it once Sept 1st rolls around and my life calms down a bit more. My book is not kid friendly though, nor does it have anything that "sparkles" in the sun. I figure that alone makes it better then some of what is out there right now. lolol

Shoe
08-03-2010, 10:53 PM
Welcome to the site, Ed. Nice to see another homeschooling dad. I'll have to check out your curriculum when I get a chance-things have been a bit busy around my house recently.

Shoe
08-31-2010, 09:53 PM

Thanks again for the interest...Between your posts here and your website, you've piqued my interest. I just ordered your curriculum. I'll let you know what my kids think of it once they get into it a bit.

Ed Ditto
08-31-2010, 09:59 PM
Thanks...I appreciate the support! The curriculum was just reviewed by HomeschoolLiterature.com at:

http://www.homeschoolliterature.com/books-by-grade/grades-9-12/gunrunner-moon-by-ed-ditto