PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Texas!

Jennifer
07-30-2010, 01:42 PM
You guessed it...my name is Jennifer (and this is the first website I'm a member of that had that one available!).

I have two daughters, ages 6 and a half and 4. My homeschooling style is eclectic.

After graduating college, I went into a graduate program for education. When I expressed interests to classmates about homeschooling, they told me I should keep that quiet since I wasn't going to find support in the school nor from my instructors. I left grad school after the first year. Apathy had reared its ugly head and I was tired of the school game. I attended class at that point but just for learning not for grades. A PhD meant the game would become unending and I would have to fight for grants and do work that I didn't want to do anymore. So, I moved to IL to be with my fiancÚ.

I tutored for an adult literacy program and I became a supervisor. I took on teaching a GED class for one term. The GED class was frustrating because I was teaching for an exam. The lessons could be infuriating because there were multiple right answers sometimes and that left my students frustrated in determining what was most correct in the minds of the test writers. That experience further cemented my disillusionment with schooling in the USA which began when I was quite young.

I finally had my first daughter and was on a path from the start that was more unconventional. I do not have support from many family members regarding many of my choices (homebirth, homeschooling, homemaker, etc.). I grow weary of being on the defensive when I know my choices are right for my family. My husband is on board which is great. I do have supportive friends. My mother passed away a few months ago and she was my most staunch supporter.

I am not much of a joiner but I am finding that need growing stronger, especially with homeschooling. The one secular homeschool group I found nearby dissolved before I could even make a meeting. There are co-ops in the area but finding secular opportunities is like finding a needle in a haystack. In the future (after we move again), I may be more inclined to start something myself.

So, I am glad to have found this site! I've already learned a lot reading through the forums.

StartingOver
07-30-2010, 01:56 PM
Welcome. Happy to have another Texas family here. You could live in my area, as there are few secular home school families here.

I am not much of a joiner either for the most part. But do enjoy this online community very much, it feels like home.

Jennifer
07-30-2010, 02:24 PM
Hi Jana! I am near Austin. I just joined another homeschool group that may have a more secular co-op one day a week. The other group we attend is an assorted group but religion does enter the mix sometimes.
It looks like our next move is back to the Midwest where I get to start the hunt again.

SherryZoned
07-30-2010, 03:14 PM
HI I am in Arlington Texas.. Homeschooling for first year this year.

Topsy
07-30-2010, 05:14 PM
You guessed it...my name is Jennifer (and this is the first website I'm a member of that had that one available!).

LOL! Just thinking of all the Jennifers who joined the site and didn't even TRY for that one because they assumed it was taken! ;)

So glad you found us, and introduced yourself. We are a really fun group to hang out with. :) Sorry your local support group fizzled out. Our list of TX secular/inclusive support groups (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/203-Secular-Homeschool-Support-Groups-by-State) has really been growing lately, though, so maybe you will find another one soon! We also have a pretty good article (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/220-How-To-Find-Other-Secular-Homeschoolers-Near-You) about locating other secular homeschoolers near you.

In the meantime, we are certainly happy to be your virtual support group!

schwartzkari
07-30-2010, 10:42 PM
Hi Jennifer! My family lives near Dallas :)

Sam I Am
07-30-2010, 11:01 PM
Jennifer,

Hello from Texas to you as well! My family & I live in the Dallas area & are starting our 1st year of home school this fall. We're looking forward to this new adventure but are nervous. If anyone lives in the Dallas area, we should start a group. DW & I are very interested in finding other secular home schoolers in the area.

Sam I Am

pandahoneybee
07-31-2010, 07:07 AM
Welcome to the group. You will not be disappointed by this group, I haven't been! This group has the most fun that I have ever seen and they always have something funny to say to make you laugh. My kids are always like "What are you la.. oh you are on your site again;)" and walk away!

I am sorry to hear about your recent loss, my thoughts are with you and your family! Can't wait to get to know you better

nicole b
07-31-2010, 08:30 PM
Here in Texas also. My stay here has been short but very enjoyable and have already struck up a friendship with one of the members.

Melissa541
08-01-2010, 06:55 PM
We're in the Dallas area, too. :)

InstinctiveMom
08-01-2010, 07:54 PM
We're in Texas as well - Southeast area - welcome, Jennifer!

Rebecca in Texas
08-02-2010, 04:45 AM
We are also in the Dallas area in Collin County. This is going to be our first year doing school at home, and I'm scared and very excited.

Rebecca in Texas
08-02-2010, 04:24 PM
Do any of you from the Dallas area know of any good social groups I could get my daughters into? Most of what I'm finding is very religious based, which I don't really have a problem with, but I'm wishing for something more middle of the road I guess. I don't want school to be about religion. I want my kids to be open-minded to differences and to be able to question things if it doesn't feel right to them. It's hard to find a group that has that philosophy.

StartingOver
08-03-2010, 08:49 AM
Here in Texas also. My stay here has been short but very enjoyable and have already struck up a friendship with one of the members.

I am thrilled to have someone else in my area.

Shoe
08-03-2010, 10:37 PM
Welcome to the site, Jennifer! It sounds like you've got an interesting and great background for your homeschooling journey (and a lot of knowledge for which we can all pick your brain :)). I think you'll find a lot of like minded, friendly people here.

Cheers.