PDA

View Full Version : Article on improving learning by changing misled common ideas about it (I was wrong!)

crunchynerd
09-28-2013, 09:34 AM
I thought I knew more about learning, than I actually do, and apparently, so do most of us, and here is how we can fix it: This actually walks through the activity that helps you understand your own misconceptions about learning, and then explains how we can change our ideas and assumptions to improve performance (and also mentions the fact that learning styles typically reinforced in public school run counter to real learning)'+windowtitle+' (http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/publications/observer/2010/april-10/improving-classroom-performance-by-challenging-student-misconceptions-about-learning.html)

dbmamaz
09-28-2013, 09:43 AM
Good article. I knew most of that - i failed out of college because i couldnt force myself to do the work any more. When I did the work, i generally got good grades. but i might consider sending it to my teen - tempted to see if he has some lectures on line somewhere

dbmamaz
09-28-2013, 09:56 AM
Yes, he has a series of youtube videos also: How to Get the Most Out of Studying Video Series - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL85708E6EA236E3DB)

leakyowl
10-21-2013, 10:01 AM
Thanks for posting this--I forwarded it along to some of my professor friends who still think learning styles are the end-all, be-all of academia. THIS--learning and being able to apply best teaching practices immediately and without interference--is why I love homeschooling so much.

Kethra
10-21-2013, 11:45 AM
This is a core reason why we've decided to homeschool our daughter. IMO You can't possibly match each student's ideal learning style in a class of 25 second graders. My daughter gets so bored in her class because she finishes the busy work and then gets in trouble for her behavior due to talking or what-have you.

I'm so very interested to see how she's going to react when we can tailor her learning to HER not to the majority.

Thank you for sharing.

crunchynerd
10-23-2013, 04:12 PM
My pleasure, to pay it forward, because I have gotten so much benefit from things other homeschool parents have shared here (mostly moms, but there are some dads out there, so no sense in excluding them!). If anything I stumble across helps someone else, I'm glad. :)