PDA

View Full Version : Slacking off...

sunshinet
09-27-2013, 06:19 PM
We've really slacked off the past two days. And for some reason it feels good. I think we did some amazing learning. On Thursday I wasn't feeling well and asked ds8 if he wanted to study independently. Today the weather was so nice, we spent only 2 hours schooling. This is what we did:

THU- He chose to "study" iron, yes he is a minecraft junkie. He took notes and drew a diagram of how iron is made on post-its, and wrote a "paper" on iron. He did this totally on his own.. as of yet we have not done any writing other than Friday free-writes. Next he read a chapter of Little House in the Big Woods to our dog. Finally he watched a 2hr documentary on the dust bowl and called his great-grandmother to ask what she remembered about it.

FRI- Today he practiced handwriting and had a spelling test (contractions) and 5 bonus dictation sentences. Then we did a lesson plan (from PBS) about the life cycle of bald eagles. It included reading The Ugly Duckling and watching some cool video clips and diagramming the bald eagle life cycle. We discussed characteristics of birds, and did a Venn diagram on bird vs reptile traits. For math he filled out a blank times table and played dragon box app. We finished up with a Friday free write.

This is a lot less than we have been doing.. but it really felt good. We're finally getting the hang of this homeschool thing. I'm so proud of his writing, I attached it for all to see.
Thanks for reading :)

Avalon
09-27-2013, 06:27 PM
Looks like two fantastic days to me! (keep in mind that we are slackers, too :) )

dbmamaz
09-27-2013, 06:28 PM
that sounds awesome to me! i dont think i could get my 10 yo to do any of that independently!

Leanne71
09-27-2013, 08:30 PM
Very, very cool. Love his Iron report.

Accidental Homeschooler
09-27-2013, 08:48 PM
Nice job on the report!

eranderson4711
09-30-2013, 08:49 AM
Great job on the paper. We slacked last week too.

Epiphany
09-30-2013, 12:09 PM
Mama's sick so we are slacking a bit today too. Got the essentials done, and doing some read aloud. Thank goodness for documentaries on netflix.

Sweden
10-03-2013, 09:22 PM
We've been slacking all week. I did have surgery this past Monday, so I'm totally hopped up on painkillers. I let the kids take full advantage of that. I think my oldest had a real day of school on Wednesday and that is it.