PDA

View Full Version : Gluten free folks

Heidi M
09-26-2013, 01:26 PM
Do any of you on gluten free diet have a favorite all purpose flour? Currently I make my own using 4 different rice flours and xanthan gum, but it's kinda pricey to get all those Bob's Red Mill flours in the quantities we need, especially around the holidays. I'm not wild about the idea of bean based flours for baking cookies and things, but maybe for savory dishes...I don't know. Any thoughts?

dragonfly
09-26-2013, 02:04 PM
I use Bob's GF APF for most things. It comes in bigger bags than most of their other flours, so it's a bit cheaper. I've never noticed a flavor difference even though there are bean flours in it. I do use a different recipe for bread, and for biscuits GF Bisquik works really well, but it's not cheap. (Soooo much easier, though!) I haven't tried Bob's APF in cakes, because I make them so infrequently it makes more sense to pay a little more for the GF Betty Crocker mix, which works really well.

dbmamaz
09-26-2013, 02:29 PM
I make custom mixes - i dont think pre-mixed would be much cheaper? Tho at one point my smaller hfs had a 20-lb bag of something. better batter maybe? i wonder about king arthurs.

Have you looked at asian markets for rice and sweet rice? its cheaper there. and chickpea flour from an indian market, corn masa from the supermarket here. I admit i stopped using rice and most sweet rice, and i cant be bothered to go to a special market just for chickpea (to use in place of other bean), and the masa messed up my flour mix texture so i stopped buying it

I try not to bake much, and i dont give ANY away lol

dragonfly
09-26-2013, 02:56 PM
I think whether or not pre-made mixes are cheaper depends on what you like to put into your own mix--if you use amaranth and teff flours, you're paying a lot more than if you use millet or sorghum. Also, organic or not.

Have you looked at Bob's Red Mill's website? You can get cases or large bags of flour from them, which might work out to be cheaper, depending on where you are currently getting your flours.

Heidi M
09-26-2013, 03:12 PM
I think whether or not pre-made mixes are cheaper depends on what you like to put into your own mix--if you use amaranth and teff flours, you're paying a lot more than if you use millet or sorghum. Also, organic or not.

Have you looked at Bob's Red Mill's website? You can get cases or large bags of flour from them, which might work out to be cheaper, depending on where you are currently getting your flours.

I do order from Bob's Red Mill. The reason I make the flour mix I do is because I like the texture and I can use it cup for cup. I think it costs about $50 to get the flours I use by the 4 pack. We bake A LOT, for holidays and friends who are also gluten free, so I guess it is what it is if I insist on going through so much :-D I love the GF bisquik for pancakes, even better than the Bob's pancake mix.

dragonfly
09-26-2013, 03:21 PM
I love the GF bisquik for pancakes, even better than the Bob's pancake mix.

Yes! GF pancakes that actually puff up when they are cooking! I wish they would start selling larger boxes of the stuff, I'd be using it even more often.

bcnlvr
09-26-2013, 03:56 PM
My friend swears by Namaste flour. Namaste Foods, LLC. (http://www.namastefoods.com/products/cgi-bin/products.cgi?Function=show&Id=13)

I use King Arthur pancake/waffle mix. THE. BEST. They are light and fluffy. With Kerrygold butter and grade B syrup.....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmma;lskdjroi4h3;o, but I digress.

Heidi M
09-26-2013, 04:12 PM
My friend swears by Namaste flour. Namaste Foods, LLC. (http://www.namastefoods.com/products/cgi-bin/products.cgi?Function=show&Id=13)

I use King Arthur pancake/waffle mix. THE. BEST. They are light and fluffy. With Kerrygold butter and grade B syrup.....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmma;lskdjroi4h3;o, but I digress.

I have heard decent things about Namaste and it has xanthan gum already in it! Thanks!

Misti
09-26-2013, 05:16 PM
We use coconut and almond flours. They taste the best in our opinion.

dragonfly
09-26-2013, 06:47 PM
I have heard decent things about Namaste and it has xanthan gum already in it! Thanks!

Neat--their mix is very similar to the one I mix myself for bread, the only difference is I use potato starch instead of arrowroot. I have no idea which way is cheaper though!

dragonfly
09-26-2013, 06:59 PM
So, the King Arthur mix is a bit more expensive than Bisquick, but they add some fiber and vitamins. It's nice that it's a slightly bigger box, too. I'll have to look for it.

dbmamaz
09-26-2013, 10:50 PM
I dont like almond flour much - i put a tiny bit in my sub buns and sometimes use it for breading.

My mix for muffins and cakes is equal parts corn flour, bean flour, potato starch, arrowroot starch, coconut flour and quinoa flakes. I LOVE it, but have to slightly reduce flour for cakes and less moist muffins.

For yeast bread, tho - i actually use a different mix for each one. and biscuits have their own mix, tho I did use my biscuit mix some for the xmas cookies this year.

Heidi M
09-27-2013, 05:02 AM
I dont like almond flour much - i put a tiny bit in my sub buns and sometimes use it for breading.

My mix for muffins and cakes is equal parts corn flour, bean flour, potato starch, arrowroot starch, coconut flour and quinoa flakes. I LOVE it, but have to slightly reduce flour for cakes and less moist muffins.

For yeast bread, tho - i actually use a different mix for each one. and biscuits have their own mix, tho I did use my biscuit mix some for the xmas cookies this year.

Do you find your yeast breads rise well with the mixture you use? I have an awful time with breads. I may experiment with a few different flours I've here :-) Thanks

rueyn
09-27-2013, 07:17 AM
King Arthur is my favorite 'lazy' flour; otherwise, I make my own :)

Heidi M
09-27-2013, 07:26 AM
King Arthur is my favorite 'lazy' flour; otherwise, I make my own :)

I am in a the market for a lazy flour :-D The one I make myself is all rice flours and I'd like to back off a little on all that rice if I can. We don't eat nightshades at the moment so potato flour won't work but I like the idea of almond and arrowroot as alternative to rice flours.

rueyn
09-27-2013, 07:31 AM
I am in a the market for a lazy flour :-D The one I make myself is all rice flours and I'd like to back off a little on all that rice if I can. We don't eat nightshades at the moment so potato flour won't work but I like the idea of almond and arrowroot as alternative to rice flours.

I haven't experimented with any make-your-own mix past the standard rice + potato + tapioca (though sometimes I mix in a little millet or flax). The King Arthur stuff works really well for taking a regular recipe and just replacing the one thing...there's a word for what I'm describing, but it's too early in the morning for me to remember ;)

The Bob's Red Mill has garbanzo flour, which does NOT sit well on my stomach.

King Arthur also makes my favorite pancake + waffle mix (the Pamela's has milk in it, from what I remember?).

rueyn
09-27-2013, 07:32 AM
Oh! And has anyone seen the new baguettes from Udi's? They're REALLY REALLY good!!!

Heidi M
09-27-2013, 07:37 AM
Oh! And has anyone seen the new baguettes from Udi's? They're REALLY REALLY good!!!

I have not! That's great! I used to get one made by...oh geeze, I can't remember...it was a rosemary baguette but the problem was it was full of air holes and sorta melted if it got any moisture on it, not a good candidate for use with fondu which is a favorite, though extremely rare treat for my husband :)

rueyn
09-27-2013, 07:50 AM
I have not! That's great! I used to get one made by...oh geeze, I can't remember...it was a rosemary baguette but the problem was it was full of air holes and sorta melted if it got any moisture on it, not a good candidate for use with fondu which is a favorite, though extremely rare treat for my husband :)

These are strong, and they smell heavenly when they're heating! They say to use the oven, but it dries out too much. I use the toaster.

OldFarmer
09-27-2013, 08:16 AM
The Bob's Red Mill has garbanzo flour, which does NOT sit well on my stomach.

I was relieved to see I am not the only one. I don't just do GF; I do as close as possible to grain-free, legume-free and dairy-free as I can manage. So what that means in our house is any sort of baked good is a rarity. It's been about 2 years so I am used to it. And I go totally off the rails from time to time, which reminds me why it's better if I leave it. ;)

This summer I got a bag of TJ's GF all-purpose and used it for binding soup; it worked great and no garbanzo flour.

dbmamaz
09-27-2013, 10:07 AM
I've started to find that my breads rise higher if i do two rises. For some reason, every single gluten free recipe states that gluten free breads cant handle two rises, so i'm kinda baffled.

here is my multi-grain bread - you could replace potato starch with any other starch. But i have like 11 different flours in it. its really yummy, though. Oh, but the recipe needs to be updated - i now always do 1.5 times the recipe, and let the dough rise the first rise in the mixer bowl and do a second rise in the casserole dish. also, i discovered my kids like it better if I leave the lid on the whole baking time, as it comes out softer and also seems to rise better.

My Gluten Free Artisan Bread | Long Summer (http://dbmamaz.wordpress.com/2011/07/20/my-gluten-free-artisan-bread/)

I also have links to a few other 'rustic' breads.

My sub buns are a slight variation on the french bread recipe from "Gluten Free Baking Classics". They are pleasant for sub sandwiches, but i dont like the texture enough to eat straight. I do wonder if they woudl work for french toast . ..

Heidi M
09-27-2013, 10:34 AM
My sub buns are a slight variation on the french bread recipe from "Gluten Free Baking Classics". They are pleasant for sub sandwiches, but i dont like the texture enough to eat straight. I do wonder if they woudl work for french toast . ..

The breads look wonderful! 11 different flours? Holy moly! I do want to try different methods so maybe that will be my winter project :-D I have been hoping for an artisan type bread to use in stuffing or bread pudding so maybe I'll find that these work! Thank you!

Heidi M
09-28-2013, 05:51 AM
I just picked up some King Arthur flour and I'm hoping to try to make a passable pizza crust. There's not much my husband misses but fresh baked goods and pizza are definitely on the list of things he wishes he could have. Udi's crusts will do in a pinch, but I'd love to come up with a homemade go to crust that works every time. I made a decent tomato-free sauce so we'll see how it goes :)

rueyn
09-28-2013, 07:30 AM
I just picked up some King Arthur flour and I'm hoping to try to make a passable pizza crust. There's not much my husband misses but fresh baked goods and pizza are definitely on the list of things he wishes he could have. Udi's crusts will do in a pinch, but I'd love to come up with a homemade go to crust that works every time. I made a decent tomato-free sauce so we'll see how it goes :)

Udi's makes good pizza crusts, too :) Frozen food aisle.

dbmamaz
09-28-2013, 09:51 AM
i . .have a pizza crust recipe on my blog too . . .

Heidi M
09-28-2013, 01:24 PM
That is another one we get by the case. Udi's pizza crust, blueberry muffins and omega3 loaves. All good stuff. I accidentally bought Rudi's once... not the same. At all. Udi also has snickerdoodles. Oh, they are good. I only buy those for special occasions. What's the point of a case discount if you eat all the damn things in one week? Don't go for their chocolate chip cookies though, or you'll curse me - truly awful. I'm not sure why a company can get one thing so right, and another SO wrong.

We've had to just say no to the Udi's Muffins. We tend to take "I think I'd like a muffin" to the extreme. They are so expensive too, but you're right, they are wicked good!

Heidi M
09-28-2013, 01:25 PM
i . .have a pizza crust recipe on my blog too . . .

OK, that's all I need to hear! :-D

dbmamaz
09-28-2013, 02:22 PM
but my recipes are never simple. i have a winter squash muffin recipe we've been loving and its got a ton of ingredients too lol

Oh, and my pizza dough recipe is also based on Gluten Free Baking Classics - not her pizza dough, which I hated, but her focaccia, which i loved.

Heidi M
09-28-2013, 04:03 PM
but my recipes are never simple. i have a winter squash muffin recipe we've been loving and its got a ton of ingredients too lol

Oh, and my pizza dough recipe is also based on Gluten Free Baking Classics - not her pizza dough, which I hated, but her focaccia, which i loved.

I don't mind complex as long as I have the stuff. I am missing a couple flours you use so I'm looking at what I have to see what I might like to try as a substitute. I usually add rosemary and fresh garlic or something to flavor the dough. We'll have a go at it tomorrow as I think my yeast is dead...too old. been a while since I used it I guess. Does it matter what kind of yeast it is? I use rapid rise most often but I do also keep regular active dry around.

dbmamaz
09-28-2013, 04:15 PM
i dont even look at the labels when I use yeast, so whatever. although i mostly only buy it in bulk (plastic tubs or glass jars) and keep it in the freezer for freshness.

What flours dont you have? I cant use tapioca or sorghum so i dont, but you can sub in tapioca for another starch and sorghum for another flour. Oh, and rice - i dont use rice flour either, so that could sub for a flour.

the multi-grain mix - it subs in for bean flour. So you can just use soy or garfava if you want. the flavor is better with the multigrain mix. but the quinoa flakes - i think those have a big impact on taste and texture so unless you can use oats (i cant), i wouldnt sub anything for them

Heidi M
09-28-2013, 04:42 PM
i dont even look at the labels when I use yeast, so whatever. although i mostly only buy it in bulk (plastic tubs or glass jars) and keep it in the freezer for freshness.

What flours dont you have? I cant use tapioca or sorghum so i dont, but you can sub in tapioca for another starch and sorghum for another flour. Oh, and rice - i dont use rice flour either, so that could sub for a flour.

the multi-grain mix - it subs in for bean flour. So you can just use soy or garfava if you want. the flavor is better with the multigrain mix. but the quinoa flakes - i think those have a big impact on taste and texture so unless you can use oats (i cant), i wouldnt sub anything for them

We don't use potato flour or bean flour. I have tapioca and quinoa flakes. I think I have 2 kinds of white rices and one brown but I may pick up some others to cut back on rice. I need to rearrange the cabinets AGIN or get bigger containers. I buy yeast in glass jars too but t's been quite some time since I made the time to do anything requiring yeast. Never thought to put it in the freezer...duh.

dbmamaz
09-28-2013, 05:05 PM
Yeah, my teen had rice show up on one of his tests, so I started working without much rice - plus most of the rice flour was so gritty, and the one most recommended - uh i'm on the east coast, so shipping cost more than the flour! But my son actually DOES have trouble with rice - every few months I need to put him on a rice fast (meaning no rice, not rice-only lol) because he starts reacting to it again. Mostly we only have it once or twice a week with asian meals - but right now i think he's having trouble because I bought some vanilla chex - which is rice. he's been eating it daily for a week or two and now he's getting sick again. sigh.

Heidi M
09-28-2013, 05:42 PM
Yeah, my teen had rice show up on one of his tests, so I started working without much rice - plus most of the rice flour was so gritty, and the one most recommended - uh i'm on the east coast, so shipping cost more than the flour! But my son actually DOES have trouble with rice - every few months I need to put him on a rice fast (meaning no rice, not rice-only lol) because he starts reacting to it again. Mostly we only have it once or twice a week with asian meals - but right now i think he's having trouble because I bought some vanilla chex - which is rice. he's been eating it daily for a week or two and now he's getting sick again. sigh.

Oh no! That's tough for a kid. Are you all gluten free? Right now it's just two of us (kids still eat wheat bread) and it's only been two years so I still have a great deal to learn. We're juggling my husband's autoimmune, inflammatory issue (secondary Sjogren's) and psoriasis blah blah blah...Some days I just want to give him oats and water and take a nap :confused:

dragonfly
09-28-2013, 06:12 PM
I'd love to find a great gf flour tortilla, either pre-made or a recipe. Anything we've tried is very tough to chew and breaks when making a wrap or burrito.

Heidi M
09-28-2013, 06:36 PM
I'd love to find a great gf flour tortilla, either pre-made or a recipe. Anything we've tried is very tough to chew and breaks when making a wrap or burrito.

Yep, same here. I've seen a number of recipes but I dunno, they kinda look like flat bread and not really something you could use as a wrap. The rice tortillas that looked promising just cracked and fell apart.

melissa
09-28-2013, 07:24 PM
Oh no! That's tough for a kid. Are you all gluten free? Right now it's just two of us (kids still eat wheat bread) and it's only been two years so I still have a great deal to learn. We're juggling my husband's autoimmune, inflammatory issue (secondary Sjogren's) and psoriasis blah blah blah...Some days I just want to give him oats and water and take a nap :confused:

Have you looked into the Autoimmune Protocol diet? I have been researching it for my own chronic illness. Has your husbands diet helped him at all? What has he cut out? Other than gluten, obviously.

Heidi M
09-28-2013, 08:22 PM
Have you looked into the Autoimmune Protocol diet? I have been researching it for my own chronic illness. Has your husbands diet helped him at all? What has he cut out? Other than gluten, obviously.

When we cut out gluten he began to see improvement in a matter of weeks. He'd had terrible, painful digestive issues and they resolved right away. Some of his symptoms sort of flare up and we have to deal with them as they arise. Recently he's developed a terrible psoriatic flare on his hands so we're trying a nightshade free diet and there seems to be some improvement. We're not sure if there's a particular nightshade that bothers him or all of them so maybe we'll do a re-introduction at some point. He avoids most dairy. He seems to be ok with some cheeses and kefir and greek yogurt. He loves Almond milk ice scream and hasn't had any issue that we're aware of. I have looked into the Autoimmune protocol and we follow it to a certain extent, meaning we eat all the foods they recommend, but we do not avoid ALL grains, legumes, nuts, eggs and dairy. Compared to what life was like for him 2 years ago, he would tell you it's 100% better. It isn't, but I suppose, for him, it sure seems that way :-)

dbmamaz
09-28-2013, 08:51 PM
my boys and I are gluten and dairy free. My daughter, when she was here, was soy free for a while. My husband has trouble with onions and anything with gravy or sauce. My youngest also has issues with dyes and preservatives and soy. its a lot of fun . . . oh, and i have . . .oh, green peas and canola oil and . . idk.

I tried a tortilla recipe once but lost it, and idk, i didnt do much with it. I've made the boys quesidillas with the rice ones, they seem ok fried. but they have tapioca, i think, which i cant have. I've just kinda given up. Tho there is a flat bread I like - well, she said it worked as a wrap, but with my flour subs, it comes out more like pita . . cut in squares . . http://www.glutenfreegobsmacked.com/2007/07/gf-wrap-sandwich-success/

the tortilla i used - i let the dough sit for a few hours in the fridge before using, wrapped to keep moist. I havent made it in years:
GLUTEN FREE RECIPE: Gluten-Free Tortillas #2

1-cup white rice flour (millet)
1/3-cup potato starch
1/3-cup tapioca flour (corn starch)
1/3-cup fava bean flour
2-tsp xanthan gum
1-tsp baking powder
1/2-tsp sugar
1 1/4-tsp salt
2-tbsp vegetable or other shortening
3/4 to 1-cup warm water

Combine all of the dry ingredients, then cut in the shortening using a pastry blender
Add the warm water, starting with 3/4 cup and mix well
Continue to add water until a soft, cohesive dough is formed
Heat a griddle to medium heat
Form a ball of dough into a flattened disk, cupping the outside edges a bit to form a round
Using a rolling pin, roll into a round disk about 1/8 inch thick and about 8 inches in diameter or to your preference
Bake one at a time on a hot griddle until the surface bubbles
Turn only once, the first side should have brown flecks
Bake until the second side has slightly browned - should brown in a very short time
Keep warm in a tortilla keeper or wrapped in a cloth until served