PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Canada

Gwenhwyfar
07-29-2010, 07:09 PM
Hi! :)

I thought I should quit lurking and post a 'hello' in here. Canadian homeschooling mother of two children, a son going into grade five and a daughter going into grade nine.

Formerly a "Christian homeschooler", now a . . . homeschooler. One who isn't sure what her 'religious' beliefs are anymore. I can't claim to be completely 'secular' - as I really don't know what I believe and am investigating some other faiths, but I do know that I don't fit into the "Christian" mold anymore.

Anyway, hello! Lovely looking forum you have here. :cool:

pandahoneybee
07-29-2010, 07:43 PM
Welcome to the group and the dark side! LOL just kidding! We have about 10 members in our Canada group (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/group.php?groupid=6)if you wanted to join that as well.
Thanks for posting an intro and don't worry some of us are secular and some are of different faiths but don't want to limit themselves to strictly
religious teachings. I think that you will find that we are a pretty diverse crowd and some are just full of knowledge!

pandahoneybee
07-29-2010, 07:45 PM
oops you beat me to the Canada group! sorry I didn't see you there at first;)

StartingOver
07-29-2010, 08:19 PM
Welcome to the group, we are glad to have you here !

Gwenhwyfar
07-29-2010, 08:36 PM
and the dark side!

LOL :D

oops you beat me to the Canada group! sorry I didn't see you there at first;)

Yeah I found the groups during a lurking moment. ;)

Welcome to the group, we are glad to have you here !

Thanks! :)

Topsy
07-29-2010, 09:51 PM
Thanks for posting an intro Gwenhwyfar!! It's great to have you here...our Canadian membership is definitely growing!! Have you always homeschooled, or is it something you've come to recently?

camaro
07-29-2010, 11:03 PM
Hi, Gwenhwyfar! It's great to see another Canadian joining our ranks! Yes, we're still a tiny minority around here, but our numbers are slowing growing. Nice to meet you!

lovemylife
07-30-2010, 12:15 AM
Welcome - I am sure you will find lots of great ideas and support here :) I know I have!

Gwenhwyfar
07-30-2010, 12:59 AM
Thanks for posting an intro Gwenhwyfar!! It's great to have you here...our Canadian membership is definitely growing!! Have you always homeschooled, or is it something you've come to recently?

Four years now for our daughter, two for our son. :)

Hi, Gwenhwyfar! It's great to see another Canadian joining our ranks! Yes, we're still a tiny minority around here, but our numbers are slowing growing. Nice to meet you!

Thanks! (love your username btw) Pretty much everywhere I go online, Canadians are the minority... I figure it's the snow. You know, that year round blizzard that howls through the windows of our igloos. Messes with the internet connections. :cool:

Welcome - I am sure you will find lots of great ideas and support here :) I know I have!

Thanks! It looks like a great board. :D

wild_destiny
07-30-2010, 11:15 AM
Welcome, Gwenhwyfar! Finding what you believe is not an easy thing to do. In my own life, I have found that it is a constant cycle of refinement. Personally, I was raised in a very Christian family, and grew up "knowing" that the way we thought and believed was the one and only way for each and every person to believe. That if people did not believe as we did, then they were consciously making a choice to go to Hell. Then I met my significant other, and he helped open my eyes to the fact that there are multitudes of people in the world who believe in their faiths in the same way that I believed in mine. It was eye opening to realize that I only believed what I did, because I had been spoon fed those beliefs by my entire family since I was born. It was also liberating to realize that I could assess the world and my own experiences to come up with my own rich and complicated belief system--one that works for me. Beyond scientific fact, the world is largely unknown, so I keep my beliefs to myself, and do not try to force them on any others. I try very hard these days to have the respect for other beliefs that my family did not have when I was growing up. ...Anyhoo, if I can recommend some books (they are not religious soul searching books, but they did speak to me--and they mirrored many experiences I had growing up Christian). The books are "Prodigal Summer" (my favorite) and "The Poisonwood Bible" both by Barbara Kingsolver. Sorry this is so long. Hope you do not fall asleep reading it! Anyway, welcome! :)

ColourfulThreads
07-30-2010, 01:21 PM
Formerly a "Christian homeschooler", now a . . . homeschooler.

Hi Gwenhwyfar,

I've walked this road as well. It was tough in the beginning, but it's getting easier. Welcome here, it's nice to know I'm not alone.

Jennifer

Bellanina
07-31-2010, 12:29 PM
Welcome!

Camaro & I are homeschooling our 3 boys, I see he's introduced himself already.

Gwenhwyfar
07-31-2010, 12:55 PM
Welcome, Gwenhwyfar! Finding what you believe is not an easy thing to do. In my own life, I have found that it is a constant cycle of refinement. Personally, I was raised in a very Christian family, and grew up "knowing" that the way we thought and believed was the one and only way for each and every person to believe. That if people did not believe as we did, then they were consciously making a choice to go to Hell. Then I met my significant other, and he helped open my eyes to the fact that there are multitudes of people in the world who believe in their faiths in the same way that I believed in mine. It was eye opening to realize that I only believed what I did, because I had been spoon fed those beliefs by my entire family since I was born. It was also liberating to realize that I could assess the world and my own experiences to come up with my own rich and complicated belief system--one that works for me. Beyond scientific fact, the world is largely unknown, so I keep my beliefs to myself, and do not try to force them on any others. I try very hard these days to have the respect for other beliefs that my family did not have when I was growing up. ...Anyhoo, if I can recommend some books (they are not religious soul searching books, but they did speak to me--and they mirrored many experiences I had growing up Christian). The books are "Prodigal Summer" (my favorite) and "The Poisonwood Bible" both by Barbara Kingsolver. Sorry this is so long. Hope you do not fall asleep reading it! Anyway, welcome! :)

No worries about "long" - I love to hear what people have to say. Thank you for sharing that. :) I didn't "grow up" Christian, but I do know what you mean about having your eyes open and whatnot... and I'll definitely have a peek for those books. Thanks!

Hi Gwenhwyfar,

I've walked this road as well. It was tough in the beginning, but it's getting easier. Welcome here, it's nice to know I'm not alone.

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer! :) Yeah it's been kinda weird. I'm not really 'out' about this yet, still a part of the local "Christian Homeschoolers" community.. my closest friends in this town are also very strong Christians. Things are gonna get. . . awkward.

Welcome!

Camaro & I are homeschooling our 3 boys, I see he's introduced himself already.

Thanks, and yes he has. Glad to 'meet' you both! :)

Shoe
08-03-2010, 10:51 PM
Welcome to the site. I grew up in Ontario, spent some time in Quebec and Nova Scotia, then back to Ontario before moving to New Hampshire, where I currently reside. There are people of various different faiths and beliefs here-but what we have in common is that we are not homeschooling for religious purposes, and I have found this to be a very friendly and supportive community. I look forward to getting to know you better.

Cheers.