PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for Coop Music Class

hollyfell
09-21-2013, 12:47 PM
I just started teaching two coop music classes: one for Kindergarten age and another for older elementary kids. I had my first day yesterday and see that it is going to be tough to keep the k kids entertained for a whole hour. I am looking for any ideas of fun things to keep it interesting and varied. I play piano a bit, have an ipod, and a big space to use with the kids plus a good collection of rhythm instruments. Any ideas?

kadylaha
09-21-2013, 01:26 PM
Kids can learn about rhythm by dancing, stomping and singing along with music as well as by rattling tambourines. Good luck! :)

motherintune
06-25-2014, 06:11 PM
Hi hollyfell! It's so cool that you took that on. It's been a year since your post - how has it gone?

I'd like to suggest two books that involve whole-body music exercises with or without props.
1. For early childhood: Music Play: The Early Childhood Music Curriculum Guide for Parents Teachers & Caregivers (Jump Right in Preschool Series) (Jump Right in Perschool Series): Alison M. Reynolds, Beth M. Bolton, Cynthia C. Taggart, Edwin E. Gordon, Wendy H. Valerio: 978 (http://www.amazon.com/Music-Play-Childhood-Curriculum-Caregivers/dp/1579990274)
2. For early elementary: http://www.amazon.com/Jump-Right-In-Curriculum-Teachers/dp/1579990657

They have worked well for me because they include options to adapt to different ages, different music talent levels, and different styles of music. And they don't require props and formal instruments but give options for using them if you have access.

I've had the most luck not using instruments, instead using myself as a live music model: singing with expressive movement, rapping and chanting rhythmic poems, inviting kids to copy and accompany and improvise with me. You said you had lots of space, so that might just be perfect for you and your group!

With small percussion I've done hot-potato style games where just one instrument goes around the circle to let each kid practice a rhythm pattern or accompany us with a steady beat in the meter while we do the previously mentioned stuff.

Does this help?