PDA

View Full Version : Hallefreakinlujah!

summer94
09-20-2013, 05:26 PM
He's READING a real BOOK! lol

So my kiddo (the 12 yr old), who has massive working memory issues can not read a book and remember what he read. He's like me, he can read the words just fine, just can't make the "movie" in his head, so doesn't know what he read, even if it interest him.

Well, I learned about using graphic novels/comic books for kids with comprehension and wm issues, well, we found one called Bone that he wasn't totally opposed to (normally he's like "I don't want any books").

Well we have a new rule for school where he has to read 10 minutes (can't go much longer at one time, so we start slooowww) a day.

Well, last night he came to me and said "Mom, I really like Bone, this is a good book"

Jaw, meet floor.

Ya, pretty much, it's a freakin miracle! AND not only that, he can tell me about the characters, what the do and what is happening so far. OMGOMGOMGOMG

Finally. I'm all over this, I'm buying every book that the library doesn't have in the series. I'm so totally stoked.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
09-20-2013, 06:35 PM
My son loves Bone, too! And it's always a bonus when reluctant readers fall in love with books that are part of a long series. Yay!

Heidi M
09-20-2013, 06:44 PM
He's READING a real BOOK! lol

So my kiddo (the 12 yr old), who has massive working memory issues can not read a book and remember what he read. He's like me, he can read the words just fine, just can't make the "movie" in his head, so doesn't know what he read, even if it interest him.

Well, I learned about using graphic novels/comic books for kids with comprehension and wm issues, well, we found one called Bone that he wasn't totally opposed to (normally he's like "I don't want any books").

Well we have a new rule for school where he has to read 10 minutes (can't go much longer at one time, so we start slooowww) a day.

Well, last night he came to me and said "Mom, I really like Bone, this is a good book"

Jaw, meet floor.

Ya, pretty much, it's a freakin miracle! AND not only that, he can tell me about the characters, what the do and what is happening so far. OMGOMGOMGOMG

Finally. I'm all over this, I'm buying every book that the library doesn't have in the series. I'm so totally stoked.

Yay!!!! Congratulations!!!

summer94
09-21-2013, 08:42 PM
Yes, I'm so excited!

He is not fighting me AT ALL. He has always always always fought me on reading. Now he does it on his own. We started the workbox system and one of the number tabs is reading. I never have to ask, he does it and then comes to tell me. I am so stoked!

I just ordered the second book in the series since my library doesn't have it (what's up with that!?). It was only $4 though, so I'm totally cool with that.

YEA!

snowpeople5
09-22-2013, 12:52 AM
First of all - YAY AND CONGRATS

Second of all - you are too funny

farrarwilliams
09-22-2013, 08:49 AM
My kids love Bone too. After that, he can try Amulet. :D

SimplyTheGoodLife
09-23-2013, 06:52 PM
I'm so excited for you! My dd9 discovered graphic novels this summer and can't get enough of them. She has read everyone our library has (that are appropriate), and has the youth librarian ordering more.

summer94
10-08-2013, 02:52 PM
EEEK! So the library didn't have volume 2 so I bought it, he finished vol 1 sometime last week (took about 2-3 weeks to finish), started volume 2 late last week, he just came to me and said, "I'm done". WHAT!?!? You finished the whole book in like 3 days!

He even REMEMBERED and told me what this volume was about! He NEVER EVER EVER remembers and comprehends what he reads.

So off to amazon I go to get a few more volumes!!! YEEEEAAAAA!!!!!!

summer94
10-10-2013, 01:46 AM
ok, volumes 3, 4, 5 and 6 are bought and on their way! I'm so extremely proud FOR him!! My favorite thing he said "Mom, Bone is the only book I've ever liked"
Love love love! I never ever ever thought I'd hear him say he likes a book.

SimplyTheGoodLife
10-13-2013, 08:45 PM
It's such a great feeling when you get to watch your kids grow and learn and love. I am SO happy for you both!