PDA

View Full Version : Using "The Magic School Bus" for Science

mamaraby
07-29-2010, 06:24 PM
I know I've seen it mentioned here and there that there are those who use TMSB for their science curriculum. I'm not sure, though, that I've seen where they mention just exactly how they do it or what resources, etc they use to do it. I'm trying to gather together my links and the like for this school year so I thought I'd list what I've found so far. Is there something I'm missing?

We're going to be using...
*The books - primarily from the library, but Amazon has the vast majority of them for sale and eligible for the 4 for 3 promotion.
*The "themes" section of the scholastic website (http://www.scholastic.com/magicschoolbus/theme/). Lesson plan and handouts here as well as identifying which videos apply and if there's an online game for it as well.
*The videos - primarily from the library, although Game Aquarium (http://www.gameaquarium.org) has a number of them online for free.

Am I missing something? As far as I can tell TMSB is no longer being aired on TV. My husband mentioned Netflix's instant videos which we could view through his XBox. Anyone know if TMSB videos are available that way? Outside of buying each book separately through Amazon (and the 4 for 3 promotion) is there a way that you can buy the books as a set? Ditto the videos.

I'm going to mix this in conjunction with some of the unit studies on Lesson Pathways for further follow-up.

Busygoddess
07-29-2010, 07:32 PM
We're using MSB for Science for this year & the next 2 years (1st-3rd). I found some great MSB kits (http://www.kidsciencekits.com/products-msb1.html) and some Teacher Created Literature/Science Units (http://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?sid=1280441999-1302742&subject=11&category=2910). I got access to Discovery Streaming & downloaded all the episodes of MSB, as well as some other videos on the topics we'll be covering. So, we use the show, the books, the fun stuff on the scholastic site, the kits, and the units. We also use other materials on topic (books, websites, shows) & some extra activities that I add in. We're enjoying the kits. I'm not sure about the Teacher Created units, though. We're using our first one right now. We'll see how we like them this year & that will determine if we use them next year & the year after.
I don't think MSB is available on instant streaming from Netflix, and only some are available on dvd. Your best bet would be to find somewhere that has them available online.

laundrycrisis
07-29-2010, 10:30 PM
I loooove Magic School Bus !!!

This is from the website:

http://www.scholastic.com/magicschoolbus/tv/tv.htm

"Scholastic's The Magic School Bus can now be seen on The READY SET LEARN! programming block on The Learning Channel at 6 AM and 8:30 AM ET/PT. The series also airs on the Discovery Kids Channel. Check your local listings for show times."

We have most of the episodes on an old Tivo unit - we recorded them a few years ago. If needed we can check out the DVDs from our library.

I have purchased almost all of the older series of books. I bought two large lots of them off Ebay. I went through the list and am filling in the ones I am missing through PaperbackSwap.

I am not planning to use any of the other materials, kits, etc. (They look really cool though...I could change my mind about that !!) I am actually using Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding as an outline and a source of activities, and filling in each topic with a MSB book when it fits, or a different book for the topic if there is no MSB book for it. After we finish Building Foundations, since the MSB books cover more topics that Foundations does, I will go on to make lessons for all of the MSB books I haven't used yet.

farrarwilliams
07-29-2010, 11:36 PM
We've used the kits and I highly recommend them as by far the best science kits we've tried (and we have tried a few others...). They are enticing to the kids and colorful (unlike so many science kit directions which are small print poorly collated b&w copies!). Each kit has a sequence of experiments that build on each other and introduce concepts. Nearly everything you need is in the box.

This year, we're using the books and the videos as part of our science curriculum as well. We're doing physical science and I'm psyched to incorporate them again - I have a dorky little chart with all my resources and the Magic School Bus and Bill Nye episodes all slotted with their correct units.

Sarbare0704
07-30-2010, 09:53 AM
Great to hear you guys like these I do plan on getting those kits when Lucy is older! We have been collecting the books from good will and rummage sales since she was little so we have quite a few!

mamaraby
07-30-2010, 11:51 AM
This is from the website:

http://www.scholastic.com/magicschoolbus/tv/tv.htm

"Scholastic's The Magic School Bus can now be seen on The READY SET LEARN! programming block on The Learning Channel at 6 AM and 8:30 AM ET/PT. The series also airs on the Discovery Kids Channel. Check your local listings for show times."

I saw that on their website and searched through the listings to see if we could set it up to tape via DVR. I think it's old information as TLC no longer has the READY SET LEARN! programming block. Discovery Kids no longer lists TMSB on their website as one of their shows.

Busygoddess - Which Discovery Streaming do you have access to? Basic or Plus? Homeschool Buyers Co-op has it available for a pretty nice discount.

Nakia
07-30-2010, 12:28 PM
You can watch every episode of the MSB video series here http://sqooltools.com/edvideos/msb/index.html

Riceball_Mommy
07-30-2010, 12:54 PM
If you wan to buy all the DVD's I can't find it now but Amazon did have the whole set available together but I did the math and it was cheaper to just buy each dvd individually through them. Also they've recently had a price drop. As for the science kits, Amazon has descent prices on them too but it would be cheaper to buy the big set from CSN stores and then buy the other two from Amazon (though it is quite a bit all at once).
I've been trying to research the cheapest way to get the DVD's and all the science kits.
Also as far as I know they stopped airing them on TV a few months ago. We were recording them on the DVR then Discovery kids just stopped showing them.
I'm definitely going to be bookmarking that link to the "themes" page.

Busygoddess
07-30-2010, 05:10 PM
I saw that on their website and searched through the listings to see if we could set it up to tape via DVR. I think it's old information as TLC no longer has the READY SET LEARN! programming block. Discovery Kids no longer lists TMSB on their website as one of their shows.

Busygoddess - Which Discovery Streaming do you have access to? Basic or Plus? Homeschool Buyers Co-op has it available for a pretty nice discount.

Plus. I think. I'm pretty sure it's Plus.

Sarbare0704
07-30-2010, 06:36 PM
If you wan to buy all the DVD's I can't find it now but Amazon did have the whole set available together but I did the math and it was cheaper to just buy each dvd individually through them. Also they've recently had a price drop. As for the science kits, Amazon has descent prices on them too but it would be cheaper to buy the big set from CSN stores and then buy the other two from Amazon (though it is quite a bit all at once).
I've been trying to research the cheapest way to get the DVD's and all the science kits.
Also as far as I know they stopped airing them on TV a few months ago. We were recording them on the DVR then Discovery kids just stopped showing them.
I'm definitely going to be bookmarking that link to the "themes" page.

home science tools (http://homesciencetools.com) has the kits for 20/pc I figure I would probably not go through them all in one year so that didnt seem too bad... have you found a better price?

Busygoddess
07-30-2010, 06:40 PM
They're only about $16 at Rainbow Resource (http://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?sid=1280525921-1285292&subject=11&category=6880).

Sarbare0704
07-30-2010, 06:41 PM
ooo! If they would send my freaking catalog I would know these things!! :( I am starting to get quite sad about it! I requested it over a month ago!

Riceball_Mommy
07-30-2010, 06:45 PM
They're only about $16 at Rainbow Resource (http://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?sid=1280525921-1285292&subject=11&category=6880).

Amazon even beats that price on a few of them, the cheapest one on there is the Mysteries of Rainbows for $10.91, secrets of space is the most expensive at $18.82 (I have a spread sheet of all the prices, it's sad really).

farrarwilliams
07-30-2010, 11:53 PM
They have most of them at my beloved local toy store for $19 - when you consider shipping, a good deal, so if someone was looking for them and had a great local toy store, you could check. I love my toy store. They also sell Handwriting Without Tears so I save on shipping for that as well.

missourimom
02-09-2011, 06:59 PM
You can watch every episode of the MSB video series here http://sqooltools.com/edvideos/msb/index.html

AWESOME! Thanks for sharing because so many of the episodes are not available on DVD. We have all the DVDs I've been able to get my hands on - Space, Human Body, Archeology (which may be on one of these others I have listed..can't remember), Bugs, Catches a Wave, Sports & the Holiday one.

I've seen other episodes available on VHS on ebay but it is hit or miss on price. Def. check ebay if you are wanting books - I've bought a lot of them in lots for very cheap prices. Mostly the thinner paper back ones, not the chapter books, but they are still chock full of info.

C just talked me into TMSB for all of our science next year. I figure it will be a bit of work (for me!) but it could really be a lot of fun for all of us since I can create some extra simple activities for my little guy to participate in.

Teri
02-09-2011, 07:10 PM
Oh, this brings back memories! We used Magic School Bus when the kids were little! I bought dvd's and books to go along with whatever we were working on. We love MSB!

dottieanna29
02-09-2011, 08:26 PM
We have all the Magic School Bus episodes DVR'd from before Discovery Kids became the Hub. All 52 episodes and I have a spreadsheet with what each one is about. I don't use it as my primary science but I will show whatever episode is relevant to whatever we are covering. I hate that they have commercials but not enough to buy all the DVDs. :-) I have all the Science kits and a lot of the books on my Amazon wishlist. I do have a few of the Activity Guides and Experiment books that I found used.

My son is so visual that educational videos are always a big hit around here.

Sam
02-09-2011, 09:02 PM
I love MSB! I had the kits bookmarked but getting the videos bookmarked too is awesome. I have 3 or 4 DVDs here but am missing so much. I don't think we have any of the books (I never really liked how they were set up, so kid friendly and I was always a geek lol). The library has many of them though. I'm thinking of buying several of the kits at tax time

dbmamaz
02-09-2011, 10:08 PM
For some reason, I missed this link when it was first posted? I put it on my 7 yo's shortcut bar and he's THRILLED - watched them from dinner to bedtime and is likely to be back there first hting in the morning! thanks!

Oh, I see why - when it was first posted, I still had discovery streaming, so I didnt need another place to see them! lol

KristinK
02-09-2011, 11:12 PM
also loving the link. thank you!! just bookmarked it for my kids :)

mamaraby
02-10-2011, 07:58 PM
I also discovered that the local NBC affiliate airs the Qubo programming on Saturday mornings which also includes the MSB. If you have a DVR you could always check the listings in your area.

missourimom
02-10-2011, 11:26 PM
I love MSB! I had the kits bookmarked but getting the videos bookmarked too is awesome. I have 3 or 4 DVDs here but am missing so much. I don't think we have any of the books (I never really liked how they were set up, so kid friendly and I was always a geek lol). The library has many of them though. I'm thinking of buying several of the kits at tax time

Sam, take a close look when you choose the books. I discovered last night when surfing ebay that they often put out more than one book for the same topic - 1 easier level, 1 more complex & 1 in chapter form. Some topics I was only able to find one option, but on many there were two choices available.

I am *very* excited about the kits- the human body & the germs one look great. C can't wait to grow germs. lol

Kylie
02-11-2011, 06:36 AM
www.yeeshallknow.com/science/

Has some lap books for free. I have not used them so I can't offer my thoughts on them.

Sam
02-11-2011, 04:31 PM
Thanks Betty! I never noticed that there were different levels... I'll have to peek at the library!

Kylie, thanks for the lapbook link! We're just starting to get into lapbooking.