PDA

View Full Version : A Spoonful of Sugar by Brenda Ashford

Topsy
09-17-2013, 07:36 AM
I'm a Brit-Lit freak. If it's British, I will come.

So, when I was browsing the New Books section of the local library and found a biography by "Britain's Longest Serving Nanny," I was intrigued. What a light and fun read!

Brenda trained as a "Norland Nanny" - -an exclusive training protocol at it's height in the 1930's that was unique in it's approach to raising children with love and structure rather than with corporal punishment. She shares her experiences being a nanny throughout the Great War, and through the multiple cultural changes Britain went through in the 40's, 50's and 60's.

All throughout, she shares what she's learned about children and child-rearing with home-spun British flair.

I thoroughly enjoyed being transported into Brenda's world, and if you happen to be an Anglophile, you just might too!

Topsy
09-20-2013, 09:11 PM
Have you read Caitlin Moran's "How to Be a Woman" and "Moranthology"? Good stuff, and she was homeschooled. Or, unschooled. Depends on your definition. Dh was very irritated with all the snorting and guffawing that took place past his bedtime.

The local library has "How to Be a Woman!" yay! I've already put it on reserve. I'll have to be on the lookout for the other ones. Thanks SO much for the suggestions!

paul.will8
12-10-2013, 07:07 AM
As a Norland nanny, Brenda Ashford cared for British children for sixty-two years. Her memoir begins with her happy childhood, telling how her parents created a happy home for Brenda and her siblings. After studying at Norland College, she began her career as a nanny and helped to take care of refugee children during World War II. After the war, her career continued to flourish with her excellent reputation.