PDA

View Full Version : New Here

Trastull
07-29-2010, 07:09 AM
We are new to the forums.

We are homeschooling overseas as a military family. I have three kids, 13, 7 & 2 yrs. We used to homeschool 4 years ago. My daughter wanted to go back to public school so we let her. We are now pulling her back out due to some issues concerning information passed along from other children not yet appropriate for their ages. Also behavior issues..

I pretty much have most of our curriculum except for science. I'm having a hard time finding something secular that will work for us.

pandahoneybee
07-29-2010, 08:39 AM
Welcome to the site;) I think that there a couple other HSing military families up here! I know what you mean about pulling them out of PS I did that with both my boys 3 years ago and haven't looked back;) Here is the military group (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/group.php?groupid=4) if you want to join! We look forward to hearing more from ya;)

Topsy
07-29-2010, 09:05 AM
Great to have you here, Trastull! We have some great threads on the forum about science curriculum, so if you want to go up to the top menu and do a search for "science" or "science curriculum", you should be able to locate them pretty easily. Thanks for introducing yourself...I hope to see you here often on the boards!!

Gwenhwyfar
07-31-2010, 01:00 PM
Hi there & welcome! :)

I'm not a military homeschooler, but I did grow up as a 'brat' ~ my father retired the other year from the Canadian Air Force. :)

Is your daughter the one who is 13? (in your sig) Our daughter is also 13 (son is 11) so I know what it's like to be trying to keep a handle on the teenager who sometimes thinks she's all grown up and doesn't need mom's guidance anymore. :p

Gwenhwyfar
07-31-2010, 01:03 PM
I know I saw a chart one time that showed various science (and maybe other subjects?) programs and descriptions of how 'christian' or 'secular' they were.... I don't remember where, but if I can chase it down again, I'll come back with the link.

paganmomblog
07-31-2010, 03:40 PM
We are new to the forums.

We are homeschooling overseas as a military family. I have three kids, 13, 7 & 2 yrs. We used to homeschool 4 years ago. My daughter wanted to go back to public school so we let her. We are now pulling her back out due to some issues concerning information passed along from other children not yet appropriate for their ages. Also behavior issues..

I pretty much have most of our curriculum except for science. I'm having a hard time finding something secular that will work for us.

Welcome! Have you checked out Jason? It's all online but it might be what your looking for. I haven't used it yet but it looks secular enough, well for us anyway.
http://www.jason.org/public/whatis/start.aspx

InstinctiveMom
07-31-2010, 03:53 PM
Welcome to the site, Trastull!
And thank you for the link, Angela :) Looks interesting!
~h

SunshineKris
08-01-2010, 01:17 AM
Hey there Trastull! Another military family here. Where are you stationed? We had issues with the school here in Germany which is part of the reason we are starting the hs journey.

Shoe
08-03-2010, 10:41 PM
Welcome to the site, Trastull. I've got a 13 year old too (and an 11 year old). Science seems to be the toughest subject in which to find a secular curriculum, especially for middle and high school ages, but as Topsy said, there are quite a few threads here on the subject, so hopefully you'll find something.

Cheers.