PDA

View Full Version : Absolute Beginners Guide to Homeschooling High School

Topsy
09-16-2013, 07:52 AM
We created this guide over at LetsHomeschoolHighschool.com and I wanted to share it here in case you, or anybody you know, is in the beginning stages of homeschooling high school:

Absolute Beginner's Guide to Homeschooling High School (http://letshomeschoolhighschool.com/blog/2013/02/24/absolute-beginners-guide-homeschooling-high-school/)

Marmalade
09-16-2013, 05:07 PM
Oh my god-Yay!

thank you-I will be lost in this for a while.

Hjørdis
09-23-2013, 11:48 PM
This is an excellent source of information. I have a question: We're temporarily living in MA. We are from MI and still have a home there. I've decided to homeschool my soon to be 18 year old son. According to his credits, he's a sophomore. Massachusetts has to right to oversee my curriculum. I have no problem with that. However, schooling is only compulsory til the age of 16. Do I have to adhere to the MA rules, or can I invest in a MI curriculum and get a diploma through MI rules?

dbmamaz
09-24-2013, 09:21 PM
Ok, homeschoolers dont get state issued diplomas. If you want to sign up for their virtual school, if they have one, you can get a diploma from them. But virtual school means your son is still a public school student, working at home. He would have to take the state standards tests, and he would get a state diploma . As opposed to homeschoolers who buy curriculum from curriculum providers and their kids are NOT registered as public school students.

Not that you arent welcome to get support here - there is a lot of common issues for people using virtual academies and people homeschooling.

Cynthia Williford
09-25-2013, 12:54 AM
When we lived in MA and were in homeschool groups there, people stopped reporting once their kids reached the age of 16. This means that you should be able to choose whatever you want to without oversight from the MA school district. Since he never homeschooled in the state to begin with, you have no obligation to inform them that he is homeschooling past their reporting limit.

From Ages to Report (http://mhla.org/information/gettingstarted/reportingages.htm)

The day a child turns 16, he or she is no longer bound by the compulsory attendance statutes. When developing an education plan for the school year in which a child turns 16, parents may legitimately include only that portion of the year in which the child will still be under 16. While there is no regulation requiring this, we recommend that when your child turns 16, you write the district a farewell letter, informing them that you will no longer be reporting for your over-16 year-old child. Even though you can stop reporting your child at age 16, be sure to continue keeping records of your child's homeschool experiences in case he or she wishes to attend college or pursue a post-homeschool program which requires documentation that the student completed high-school level work.

Heidi M
09-25-2013, 04:54 AM
We created this guide over at LetsHomeschoolHighschool.com and I wanted to share it here in case you, or anybody you know, is in the beginning stages of homeschooling high school:

Absolute Beginner's Guide to Homeschooling High School (http://letshomeschoolhighschool.com/blog/2013/02/24/absolute-beginners-guide-homeschooling-high-school/)

Nice!!! I wish I had known about something like that when I had my first high schooler! Great guidelines and ideas for different ways to go about things!

Maxaroo
10-01-2013, 11:47 PM
Very grateful for this new website! In less than three weeks we'll be pulling our 8th grader to homeschool him again. We hs'd 4th, 5th and 6th grades; for 7th he attended a charter school with a good friend of his. That year was great, this 8th grade year not so much. Herein begins the great research project regarding homeschooling high school and I am very excited to find this resource. I'm also reading (for fun) The Teenage Liberation Handbook by Grace Llewellyn, and the Ultimate Guide to Homeschooling Teens by Debra Bell. And trying to wrap my head around taking it from here........thank you SO much for compiling the information about homeschooling high school.