PDA

View Full Version : Mango languages

Epiphany
09-10-2013, 09:34 AM
I e-mailed the company for more info about their program, and found out that they are launching a homeschool program October 1, 2013. They are going to have webinars in the next couple of weeks to give more information. I have not heard back from my inquiry about how much it is going to cost. But will let you know when I find out more. Foreign Language Learning for Homeschool students and their families. (http://www.mangolanguages.com/homeschool/)

wendygrace
09-10-2013, 10:30 AM
We have Mango available through our public library for free. Would this be different?

Epiphany
09-10-2013, 10:32 AM
I am not sure wendy. Our library used to have it but when I called the other day, they apparently stopped paying for it. So I am looking for other options. I would say if you can get it free through your library do that. I am just looking into this because I don't have a free option. I am going to attend one of the webinars. If I find out anything interesting or new, I will pass it on.

sunshinet
09-10-2013, 12:25 PM
We also get Mango through our library, interested to see if this will be included. So far we've tried Pirate (fun!) and Latin (too hard).

olivebend
09-10-2013, 12:49 PM
I saw this program mentioned here, and checked my library - it doesn't provide access. However, on a whim, I checked out the library from my in-laws' town (which is much larger) and they do. And the requirement for a library card there is to only be a state resident. So something to consider, that you can shop around libraries a little for different services, particularly online ones.

Epiphany
09-10-2013, 12:52 PM
That's an idea Olive, thanks

cokers4life
09-15-2013, 02:56 PM
The library editions are great but The library edition only offers the first part which is still great and extensive. I would be very interested in the homeschool version if it includes part 2 and 3. I am almost finished with part 1.

summer94
09-15-2013, 04:12 PM
I get it through a library, I just use my friends card! lol

I am curious about the homeschool edition though

Epiphany
09-16-2013, 04:16 PM
I am registered for a webinar for tomorrow and will pass on any info that I get from that. In my communication with the rep, it sounds like it will be free for the first 30 days (which might be a nice way to preview what they are offering) and then will be 20 a month for access after that. Will include three licenses for use on various computers, or by various members of the family apparently.

Epiphany
09-17-2013, 01:57 PM
Just got done with the webinar and am a bit discouraged, but only because it sounds like a really great set-up but not appropriate for my six year old. I asked about recommended ages and they said about 7th grade. However, someone on the call said her 5th grader is doing it and is really engaged. They are offering all three levels, there are 60 languages to choose from. Sounds like the main difference between this and the library edition is that they have paired up with a platform specifically to help homeschool families with their particular needs. It is available not just on the computer, but also on mobile devices so it can travel with you. They have forums with tutors who will help your kids with questions that they may have. Also, kids can hook up within a secure community to have discussions with each other to practice what they are learning and will also be able to chat with tutors who will be available. Is available 24/7. Is set up for students to self-manage their learning, or to do with a parent. There is a separate forum for each language. There is a system set up that tracks your student's progress and there is only once access point for your whole family, so you don't have to log into separate accounts to check that progress. They reported that their program is rated for students to be at the intermediate level of proficiency when they are done with all three levels. This is speaking and listening focused, not reading and writing. Some of the more popular languages already have four levels and they are adding more content as time goes on. They are also working on a program of teaching language through film which is just in the works and not available yet. In addition to teaching the language, throughout the lesson, there are cultural discussions about the language to give students more understanding about when certain phrases would be used etc. That's everything from the notes that I took. If you have further questions, I would e-mail the president who is listed on the website. So far he has been good about getting back with me.

Hope this is helpful information. Oh yeah. They are looking for beta-testers to get started right away even though the program does not start till October. E-mail Mike and he will set you up with that. The first 30 days are free, and it will be $23 per month after that on a month to month basis. No long term commitment. I am bummed that we cannot use it, but am looking forward to hearing if it works out for anyone here who does decide to try it. Seems like they have put a lot of thought into what homeschoolers might need.

Twinsmomma27
09-17-2013, 07:00 PM
My kids and I have been doing Spanish through Mango with our public library online. The free version is pretty cool! I will have to look into the homeschool version.

sbweldon
10-01-2013, 10:38 AM
For those of you who have used it, do you think it could be adapted for early elementary aged kids?