PDA

View Full Version : Good extracurriculars for military families?

starrysky
09-09-2013, 06:10 PM
We are a Coast Guard family, so we have to move every few years. I am wondering what kinds of extracurriculars would offer my son a sense of continuity despite the constant moving. I am definitely interested in 4-H and the Boys and Girls Club, since they have chapters all across the country. I would love for him to join the Boy Scouts, but we are uncomfortable with their ban on atheists (we are not religious). Are there any other large national organizations that offer socialization opportunities and enriching activities for kids? Thanks in advance!

dbmamaz
09-09-2013, 07:54 PM
I'm not sure continuity is really that big an issue. 4H clubs are VERY different from each other, even in the same town. A lot of kids only stick with an extracurricular for a few years before wanting to try something different anyways. There are little leagues everywhere. But sometimes the local one-off places are the best, and you could miss a great brief experience by ruling them out.

starrysky
09-10-2013, 03:49 AM
Great point! I hadn't considered that angle before. Maybe rather than focusing on national organizations, I could instead use the constant moves as a learning opportunity and encourage him to get involved in local organizations that reflect the spirit and culture of the community we live in. Thanks for your input!

farrarwilliams
09-10-2013, 10:17 AM
I agree that the atmosphere can be so different for local chapters of nationwide groups, but I'd also look into Destination Imagination or Odyssey of the Mind. I think there is a lot of the same culture within DI, at least.

hockeymom
09-10-2013, 10:59 AM
Agree with the other posters, and would add that being proficient at sports will automatically give him something in common with other kids everywhere. If he can play baseball or soccer, he can join a team anywhere you live and meet other kids who share a similar interest.

OldFarmer
09-15-2013, 09:09 AM
I was going to recommend a martial art. My kids have picked up TKD since we took on the traveling family gig. So far, they just take Y classes when we are in the States, but this year I plan to get them into a class in the UAE so they can continue to progress.