PDA

View Full Version : How to be starter then the 3rd grader!

HomeschoolRocks
09-08-2013, 08:00 PM
I moved out here to start a new life. Move on from the past and ready to find someone I can settle with. Now that homeschooling is working out I have to find ways to help my kid. We are like two Siamese twins, lol. She's starting to have an attitude and I don't really know how to deal with it.
She tries to act like me, but she is just too little to be acting that way. Then I have a problem with her
thinking that homeschooling isn't real, how do you make her understand that it is. She doesn't understand that it isn't just fun and games. We need to find others to get out and communicate with so she can socialize. I have a schedule that I go by which is from 9 am - 2 pm sometimes 3:00 depending on the day or how long it takes her to get her schoolwork. Fridays are our days to go to the library or do a field trip but if she doesn't get her work done then I take that away but I don't want to have to do that all time. I am just starting so any advice or tips on how to get her to do her school-work faster would be great. I'm thinking while I type, an award chart would be perfect, I may have to start that routine. I hope this school year works out and hope to hear from others.

Sweden
09-13-2013, 10:39 PM
I hate to do this, but I have mostly questions for you first.

You just moved? How long ago? Your post sounds like you are escaping something. Am I right? If so, that can be a huge change for any child. Any big change can then illicit different behavior than the norm.

As far as the school day goes, perhaps you might scale back on the hours a bit? I have an 3rd grader and we spend about 3 hours a day. It varies widely with everyone, but if you've a young one dealing with a change, then maybe just easing into it is the way to go.

Socializing - look into local homeschooling groups. Maybe you'll be able to find a local secular one or a relaxed non-secular one. Or, this is where we made our friends: sports. What activities does she like?

farrarwilliams
09-14-2013, 12:39 AM
How old is she? Most of us don't do school for 6 hours straight until kids are relatively old. And I'm curious what curricula you're using...? And if you just started, then the way to move on, as you say, is often by shaking things up and doing something really different - not something schooly. Or by deschooling and taking some time off.

Welcome to the forum!