PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Kansas City, MO!

jenb
07-27-2010, 05:47 PM
Hi. I'm about to embark on year two of homeschooling my 12 year old daughter and year one with my 10 year-old son joining us at home. I also have a 5 year-old daughter entering Kindergarten in PS because she is convinced that she will love it. Based on her personality, I think she's right, but I also think it's only a matter of time before the luster wears off and she's happy to hang with us.

I'd say that the better part of last year was spent "deschooling" our very discouraged and unchallenged gifted learner. She wanted to join NOTHING and do almost nothing that smacked of academia except read. But then in about April or May, she decided to join a local secular HS co-op for a short summer session, and she really came to life. She's found her tribe!

My son is much more structured by nature, so instead of making it all up as I go along, I've gotten the Oak Meadow 5th grade curriculum for him and i plan to adapt it the science, lit and ss aspects for the older one. I think they will like working on things together...I know that my daughter got a bit bored working on things all by herself last year, so I'm hoping that this will work well for them both.

All of this will be complicated somewhat by my into-everything two year-old, who will be along for the ride. Here's to big plans, fresh starts, and priceless time spent with our children!

Jen

Sarbare0704
07-27-2010, 05:56 PM
Welcome to the group Jen! I hope you will enjoy it as much as I do! This is a fun bunch of people that are full of great information!

ESNQueen
07-28-2010, 03:45 PM
Welcome! I'm new-ish here too, and originally from KC (now in StL) so I thought I'd say hi! :) Great group here, very knowledgeable and very helpful!

pandahoneybee
07-28-2010, 04:58 PM
Welcome to the group;) There has been alot of MO people joining lately! We are from Warrenton MO originally, so it is good to hear from the STL group! Here is the MO Group (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/group.php?groupid=51) if you wanted to join. Can't wait to get to know more about ya!

Shoe
08-04-2010, 12:07 AM
Welcome Jen. This place has been great for me. I've got a couple of kids around the same age, and I'm also starting on my second year of homeschooling. Look forward to your views on things.

Cheers.

ginnyjf
08-04-2010, 12:19 PM
Hello! I'm in Missouri, too, just on the opposite side of the state from you. Welcome to the board!