PDA

View Full Version : Pressure cooker

dbmamaz
09-07-2013, 12:43 PM
So, i finally convinced my hubby to let me buy the Instant Pot. And now i'm not sure what to do with it! The week I asked for it, I made broth twice and beans twice. But . . what else?

sdvelochick
09-07-2013, 01:28 PM
I've heard they are the best way to cook dried beans which can save you a fortune :-)

dbmamaz
09-07-2013, 02:26 PM
i havent bought canned beans in years, but i make them in the slow cooker, which takes forever

eranderson4711
09-07-2013, 03:54 PM
My mom makes pot roast in her pressure cooker.

bibiche
09-07-2013, 04:21 PM
I use mine nearly every day for beans. I like it best for beans and tamales for time/energy saving. Check out hippressurecooking.com for lots of recipes and ideas.

dbmamaz
09-07-2013, 04:46 PM
yeah, i dont think anyone would eat pot roast. I'm tempted to try, but we have eaten very little beef in a long time because we all have trouble with it, and hubby hates anything with gravy - my moms pot roast always had FANTASTIC gravy.

i did find that hip pressure cooker site but didnt look around enough yet, good to hear it recommended

dragonfly
09-07-2013, 05:21 PM
I'd do ribs, because ds loves them.

dbmamaz
09-07-2013, 05:40 PM
yeah, my daughter loves them. i have to pre-boil ribs because anything cooked IN the sauce makes us sick. grrr lol

i think hummus and pot roast might be the first two. maybe some congee

atomicgirl
09-13-2013, 11:13 AM
I find that nearly anything I would normally use a slow cooker for can be adapted for the pressure cooker. One is long, but needs little focused attention, the other is short, but requires active participation.

Beans for gallo pinto is my primary pressure cooker product. Once I found out that I could pressure soak the beans, and didn't need to remember to set them up the night before, I fell in love.

Avalon
09-13-2013, 11:28 AM
I don't have one, but I've been thinking about getting one. As I understand it, any dish you make that normally simmers for an hour on the stove or bakes for one or two hours in the oven can be done in 20 minutes in the pressure cooker. I make a lot of meals that are basically meat & veg in some kind of sauce (beef/chicken/pork) scooped over rice or noodles.

dbmamaz
09-13-2013, 06:48 PM
yeah, of course the problem is hubby hates sauces and gravies. but i bought a roast anyways lol

farrarwilliams
09-14-2013, 12:42 AM
I know this thread is about literal pressure cookers, but every time I see it, I think it must be some sort of homeschooling home metaphor.

Gummers
09-14-2013, 03:27 AM
You could make Biryani.

bibiche
09-14-2013, 03:30 AM
You could make Biryani.

mmm. Biryani. I never thought to make it in the pressure cooker. Great idea.

Overhere
09-14-2013, 07:00 AM
So, i finally convinced my hubby to let me buy the Instant Pot. And now i'm not sure what to do with it! The week I asked for it, I made broth twice and beans twice. But . . what else?

Lorna Sass's cookbooks (http://lornasass.com/cookbooks#pressure_cooking) - particularly the vegetarian ones - are great stuff, and very useful. She's a big enough name (James Beard award, etc.) that a lot of libraries should have at least Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure.

dbmamaz
09-14-2013, 10:00 AM
Lorna Sass's cookbooks (http://lornasass.com/cookbooks#pressure_cooking) - particularly the vegetarian ones - are great stuff, and very useful. She's a big enough name (James Beard award, etc.) that a lot of libraries should have at least Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure.
Haha yes, i got one of hers from my library! I'm going to use her pot roast recipe in 3 days!

While hubby and I were both vegetarians at some point before we met, he mostly ate jasmine rice and tofu while i mostly brown rice and beans. I only like tofu very specific ways and he only likes beans very specific ways. and the kids are definitely carnivores.

mamaraby
09-14-2013, 06:04 PM

Three books just made their way to my request list at the library! :0)

I'm afraid I'll be of no help on the pressure cooker front as I've only ever used mine for canning.

dbmamaz
09-14-2013, 08:35 PM
i made hummus tonight - quick-soaked and cooked the beans in the pressure cooker. Figured a low-stress first run made sense. Monday is the big stakes - pot roast, which i've never made at all ever.

SusanC
09-15-2013, 06:05 PM
First, why can't I "like" from my phone? I totally agree with Farrar.

My Mom uses the pressure cooker all the time for vegetables. Like every day. Right before everybody sits down she brings it up to pressure then cools it under the faucet and opens it. Every day.

OldFarmer
09-17-2013, 08:22 AM
I took up with a pressure cooker in the Peace Corps and have used them since. When I was working, it was just the best. I could make all manner of things that would take 2+ hours in less than an hour. Mostly for my dh, who I also took up with in the Peace Corps. But it's nearly all Moroccan stews and a couple of soups. Lots of lamb, chicken and beef stews with vegetables, chickpeas, white beans.
Dh doesn't like chicken, but he is OK with gizzards and I cook those in the pressure cooker. They come out really tender and nice. I am otherwise not a fan, but they are really nice out of the cooker.

Ooh--forgot to add, beets. I cook a few day's worth of beets in the pressure cooker and then just peel them before using in salads. Saves a lot of cooking time.

And if you like pureed veg soups, a pressure cooker and an immersible blender are all you need.

dbmamaz
09-17-2013, 11:22 AM
yeah, if only dh would eat thick soups and stews. but he wont.

Dh said the pot roast was ok, he'd be willing to eat it occasionally. He didnt touch the gravy (which is pureed broth with mushy overcooked veggies . . SO YUMMY!) Orion and I LOVED it. Raven loved the mashed potatoes (potatoes were cooked with the meat so brownish and flavorful) and he liked the meat, too, but the gravy was tasty but the texture didnt work for him (yeah, the pureed veggies lol).

Dh wants to try congee in it, but he says its more of a snack, so whats the point? idk. we dont eat beets very often . . . seems like a huge pot to dirty for three beets.

BerthaCardone
08-21-2014, 03:53 AM
It is a programmable instant cooking pressure cooker. I don't know what disease you can make with it, but it is really awesome to have an instant pot.

dbmamaz
08-21-2014, 11:39 AM
Ahh, totally forgot about this post. Its been about a year, I guess. I now use my PC a lot - sometimes 4 times in a week or more. I now use it for broth (which is at least every other week, more like weekly, with leftover bones), dog food (rice and chicken - he is sick otherwise) about twice a week, I prefer mashed potatoes cooked in it (in broth - i barely add any liquid now), beans of course, boiled eggs (easier to peel), artichokes (but thats a rare treat), shredded meat for taco meat or chicken salad sandwiches, and yes, the roast was a huge hit. I've also tried pork roast and turkey roast in it. They were just ok. Oh, and hubby's favorite slow-cooker chicken is MUCH better texture in the pressure cooker - i kinda like it now!

fastweedpuller
08-21-2014, 12:12 PM
Okay now I am intrigued. And we're on the cusp of a kitchen renovation that will leave me without a stove for months (potentially!) so I am wondering about the Instant Pot. I have a regular on-the-burner pressure cooker (the scary kind).

Cara, what size did you get? Do you do rice in it too? I am looking at my sad rice cooker knowing it's on its last legs. And the two crock pots that collect dust in the basement. Having one appliance instead of 3 or 4 is appealing.

dbmamaz
08-21-2014, 01:42 PM
I have the 6 quart. I actually like rice better in the rice cooker so far, but I have not been great at following the directions. You cant LEAVE the rice in the pressure cooker like you can in the rice cooker, because it will get overcooked. And my brown rice keeps being too hard.