PDA

View Full Version : Japanese and Calligraphy for 1st grade?

schwartzkari
07-26-2010, 07:50 PM
One of the things I love about homeschooling is allowing our lessons to be interest-led by my daughter. She told me this evening that she would like to learn Japanese and also try to learn calligraphy. She's doing 1st grade work right now, so if anyone could point me in the right direction of some age appropriate Japanese programs and/or calligraphy for kids, let me know. :)

Thanks!

farrarwilliams
07-26-2010, 08:14 PM
I have some very small experience with Chinese calligraphy, so don't have any Japanese recs for you, but if she's interested in the calligraphy, I would start by getting a few brush pens for her. They're easier to use than actual ink and brush sets and fine for practice or a 6 yo goofing around and seeing what kind of lines she can make. These range in price a LOT - but they can be less than $10 and can be found at a really good fine art supply store. BTW, they take a few days of use to loosen up so that you start to get that brush look from them (instead of a basic marker look... the first time I bought one I spent the first few times using it really annoyed that I had just shelled out like $10 or more for something that was basically just a single black marker, but then it loosened up and became a really nice little tool).

Busygoddess
07-26-2010, 08:59 PM
We do regular Calligraphy & start the kids out with Calligraphy markers. They progress to pens when they're more competent. Any beginners calligraphy set should be fine for her. They generally start by showing exactly how to write each letter, and sometimes offer tracing practice like beginning writing programs do with regular letters.

schwartzkari
07-26-2010, 11:36 PM
The only thing I'm worried about with calligraphy is her current penmanship. She isn't the best writer, she writes like a 6 year old, LOL :) I worry that calligraphy might interfere with her regular writing skills. I don't want to tell her no though because she's extremely excited about it and I want her to have choices in her studies. My good friend sent me an email about an hour ago and told me she had a calligraphy set we could have for free (I like free!)...now to find a Japanese program. LOL. I was informed that there are actually 3 kinds of Japanese. I speak some Spanish and can read it pretty well but Japanese scares me. Mind you, my daughter is learning Hebrew right now as well...I guess it is okay if she dabbles in a little of everything :D

hockeymom
07-27-2010, 06:21 AM
I remember taking calligraphy when I was very young, I'm sure I was younger than 6. I would think it would help her fine motor skills, so rather than hindering her handwriting it will no doubt help in the long run (or even short run!). What a fun art form!

farrarwilliams
07-28-2010, 08:23 AM
There's only one kind of Japanese, but it uses three writing systems which are integrated and mixed - one borrowed from Chinese, one that's alphabetic for words and one that's specifically for writing words borrowed from foreign languages. Again, just drawing from my experience in Chinese, so someone can correct me, but everyday writing, even with characters, is very different from calligraphy. For everyday writing, people use pretty much the same grip we use here and write with pencils, pens, whatever. For calligraphy, you hold the brush differently - more like how an artist holds the charcoal when sketching, though not quite that. By the way, if you do get markers, the ones labeled as "calligraphy markers" are meant for western style calligraphy and will not work at all for Japanese. They have a stiff flat tip that the writer holds at different angles to achieve different widths as s/he writes letters. Japanese and Chinese calligraphy is all about the brush and how holding it lightly and applying more or less pressure to the page changes the width of the line you create.

I can't imagine that learning to write Japanese or learning calligraphy of any kind would hurt your dd's penmanship. These are small motor skills enhancers. In the same way that we have preschoolers practice drawing before they write letters, I think small motor skills practice at this age is probably still a good exercise that will convey to her "regular" writing skills.

vimalakumari
07-20-2011, 03:54 AM
yes Calligraphy is the good Knowledge.mainly you have to concentrate on Calligraphy Styles, Calligraphy Lessons And Calligraphy Fonts.IF you want know more details please click the below link.good luck.

Regards
Calligraphy (http://www.calligraphy.in)

Beverly
07-20-2011, 07:02 PM
Have you checked to see if your local library has Mango Languages? There is a special Mango program for 3-6 year olds that you may be able access. Or you could just do the regular lessons like we are with my first grader learning Mandarin.