PDA

View Full Version : Minecraft - looking for fellow hs'ers who play

kimsaria
09-02-2013, 12:12 AM
I have a 7yo son and a 13yo son who both enjoy Minecraft and are learning a great deal.

They enjoy playing with people and combining the play with Skype so that they can talk and play at the same time.

My concern is that, even though we do not use bad language, most of the other kids who play do. I am looking for other families who have kids who enjoy Minecraft and skill development without the use of foul language.

My boys are currently working on getting their own server up and running.

Kind regards,
Kim

SagittariusMich
09-02-2013, 07:51 PM
My 8yr old likes playing Minecraft but she's just using the pocket version on the ipad and phone, I hadn't bought the desktop version yet but I was thinking about it. She's usually playing in the creative level because she was trying to teach herself how to use the game and I was no help. Honestly, I didn't know that the play could be shared with friends.

In short, I don't think she's on the same level as your boys. Although, if she does improve over the next weeks and months, I will keep this thread in mind. Thanks!

JenWrites
09-02-2013, 08:06 PM
My daughter (10) plays as much as I will allow her to. We're having an issue with login stuff right now, which has resulted in many, many frustrated emails between myself and the PTB over there, but once we get it all up and running again, Craftysupergirl would love to play with your kids.

Greenmagick
09-02-2013, 08:56 PM
My almost 6 year old and 7 1/2 year old play.

What would you classify as foul language?

Sweden
09-02-2013, 09:10 PM
My 8 year-old daughter plays, but on the iPad. She is trying to earn the full computer version. Once that happens, I'll try to check back in. Or remind me in a few months.

masonv
09-03-2013, 03:33 PM
My son is 11 and is a minecraft fanatic.. I am sure he would love to play with your kids.. how can they connect?

Jackielyn
09-04-2013, 01:21 AM
My 10 and 8 yr old boys love to play. Let us know how to connect :)

Epiphany
09-07-2013, 12:43 PM
Just got minecraft at our house and have no idea how to hook up with skype, but sounds like something to keep in mind once he figures out what he is doing. He is six

J&C'sMommy
09-08-2013, 01:12 PM
My son plays minecraft but skype is a no go for us.

jdubbleb
09-09-2013, 08:24 AM
My 10 and 7 year old boys play the desktop version, they'd love to connect. Trickster has been looking for others to play with and says that a server number is required. I will ask him for his server and reply soon. No skyping though...

jdubbleb
09-09-2013, 11:28 AM
Trickster's server is : 61437

Trickster says: To create a server, you must spawn a new world or use the worlds you've used in the past, click the ESC key, then go to "make server visible". Select your settings for your world, such as: creative, survival or adventure. FYI: for adventure, you need a MOD map which may cost. Once your settings are selected, click 'create server'. Your server IP will show up (5 numbers), write down your server IP for others to connect.

You can only connect with the full version of Minecraft on phones or IPADS, it costs about $7. Use the same process for IPhones and IPads as long as you have the full version.

ScienceGeek
09-09-2013, 11:42 AM
My kids play but I'm afraid we don't consider 'swearing' bad around here. My kids use mumble instead of Skype and it works really well so they can 'talk' to their friends without have to type in a chat bar. they all have headsets and it works really well. Its audio only.

summer94
09-14-2013, 12:19 AM
We use oovoo, I've never heard of mumble. Mine are asking to connect with other hs'ers! So how many have their own servers here? We'd love to connect on one or two, or however many lol!

dottieanna29
09-14-2013, 09:21 AM
My son plays Minecraft, although he spends more time on Roblox now. He belongs to two servers - one is my cousins teenage kids, the other is a homeschool server (there is a group on facebook) but we got away from that one because there was a lot of tattling on the facebook and it was getting ridiculous.

My son doesn't curse in what I consider cursing but he may use things like crap, sucks, etc. that I've seen some people do consider cursing.

JustLindsay
10-22-2013, 03:03 PM
My 10 year old son loves to play, and my daughter might be interested in playing if she had a pal to play with (she has played before but she doesnt have a huge amount of interest). But, I wanted to ask what you classify as cursing, as well. My son doesn't use the better known curse words but he likes to "trash talk" (what I call it) the bad guys in his video games, but its going to be things like- "I am going to defeat you, you big old jerk. You suck!" I wouldnt allow him to talk to another person that way though (just the fake video game bad guys). But, what some consider curse words, I may not. So, I want to make sure before setting something up. :)

ohioDad
11-01-2013, 01:36 PM
If anyone is still looking to do this, My 9yo and 12yo both love minecraft. We've talked about letting them setup a server before and I would be willing to setup a persistent server for them to use with other hs'ers. I'm not sure about skype or mumble use though. I've setup minecraft servers before and the mods are trivial to install.

JustLindsay
11-02-2013, 03:06 PM
If anyone is still looking to do this, My 9yo and 12yo both love minecraft. We've talked about letting them setup a server before and I would be willing to setup a persistent server for them to use with other hs'ers. I'm not sure about skype or mumble use though. I've setup minecraft servers before and the mods are trivial to install.

I would be interested. Do your kids play on the computer or a gaming system? My son is 10 years old. I have an 8 yr old daughter but I dont know if she would be interested. My son loves minecraft though.

ohioDad
11-02-2013, 04:46 PM
They play on both the xbox360 and on the PC. If they are playing on the xbox there is no need to setup a server. For the PC version I can setup a server and whatever mods they want.

I talked to my kids about it earlier in the week and we're going to go ahead and setup a server sometime this week. It only takes a few minutes so I'll probably sit down with them and get it done Sunday night. I'm looking at purchasing server space (it's cheap $4 to $20 a month depending on how much space they need) as long as it stays under 18 users I will cover the costs.

dbsam
11-08-2013, 08:24 PM
We got an xbox this summer and my 9yo's (daughter and son) love playing Minecraft. A few days ago we bought xBox Live so they can play along with some of their friends. We are still figuring it out (they need to take turns because we cannot figure out how they can both play on xbox live). Anyone else play on xBox?

JenWrites
11-08-2013, 09:21 PM

We would be interested as well. I've had to limit my daughter to playing alone since people started saying things like, "Hey sexy girls anyone want sex?" in the servers she was on. She loved playing in the Hunger Games servers, but I am just not comfortable with anyone and everyone being able to talk to her that way.

ohioDad
11-08-2013, 10:16 PM
To play at the same time on the same console just turn on a second controller and push the start button on it.

Both my older two play on the xbox and would love to play with others, I just don't want to post their gamertags on here, they both have live ID's (untill March anyway, since Microsoft did away with family accounts we are not renewing and are buying a ps4).

dbsam
11-08-2013, 11:35 PM
To play at the same time on the same console just turn on a second controller and push the start button on it.

We must be doing something wrong. That is the way they both play but we haven't been able to get them both playing live with a friend linked with xbox live. Do we need to get a live subscription for both of them?

Sorry to get OT...

ohioDad
11-08-2013, 11:41 PM
For online play (xbox) guest accounts have to sign in when the game starts, so they would have to host the game (with both logged in at start) and their friend then join them, not vice versa. Otherwise you would need to use two live accounts.

dbsam
11-09-2013, 12:08 AM
For online play (xbox) guest accounts have to sign in when the game starts, so they would have to host the game (with both logged in at start) and their friend then join them, not vice versa. Otherwise you would need to use two live accounts.

Thank you!

fairmontfamily6
11-10-2013, 03:00 PM
My 8 year old loves to play Minecraft. He plays on the desktop, but I'm still not sure how to get on a shared server with the fellow homeschoolers here.

labbott316
11-10-2013, 03:23 PM
Love this thread as I have learned a few new things and I have a 7 yo son who would also love to connect with others on minecraft and I have been so worried about who he might be connecting with. Please keep us in the loop.

Maebee
11-10-2013, 03:35 PM
We do! My 10 and 12 yo love to play. We also belong to a server called Blocklandia, is heavily moderated, now foul language allowed! We have not skyped yet but want to!

JustLindsay
11-10-2013, 03:39 PM
I wasnt getting notifications for this thread. But, we play minecraft on xbox. I am not opposed to the computer, but we haven't purchased that yet. If anyone has a kid that plays on the xbox, let me know. My son would love to have friends to play with! He has xBox live, the headset and he would love to talk to kids his age. :) I don't know how it works, but I assume you just have to friend the person you want to play with? Im sure he knows how to do it.

kimsaria
11-10-2013, 05:46 PM
I wasnt getting notifications for this thread.

I wasn't either but am very happy to see so many responses. All of the words stated here, we do not consider swearwords. I was referring to shit, damn, f...

Kids will be kids and I do like them to have free play time without me standing over them. However, I treat it quite a bit like having friends over... I wander into the room occasionally and make sure the tone is 'right'. I'm happy to say that though some of the current kids do use that language, my kids still do not even though socializing (sometimes daily) with kids that do. Nice kids, bad language. It's just a different culture from ours.

In a way I think it's good in that they are learning that just because they are friends with someone, it doesn't mean that they should emulate that behaviour. On the other hand it would be lovely for them to be able to play with someone *I* don't need a timeout from because I'm tired of hearing the same adjectives over and over again. :D

My 7/8 yr old's Skype name is tago.g. He is usually on around 9am. He has to have various timeouts to do some schoolwork, play outside, etc. But Minecraft his general 'hang out' place when he has free time... which is quite a lot in my mind.

My 13/14 year old is more reserved and would rather see what kids his brother befriends before issuing his Skype addie. So if there are older kids, they'll have to hook up through my younger son.

Thanks so much to all who responded! I really we are successful in hooking up with some of you in today's modern-type social environment. :)

Kind regards,
Kim

jsecular
11-10-2013, 08:18 PM
I have an 8yo son who has been playing the demo version. We're planning on purchasing the full computer version, on creative mode, for him. I appreciate the heads up about the language, as we prefer for our son not to be exposed to that. We'd be interested in your server if it was for creative mode. Thanks for posting!

jess97
11-11-2013, 10:54 AM
My son is playing on the pc version now and tried joining Blacklandia and Trickster's server but is unable to connect. Is there something we are doing wrong. I do not know enough about it to troubleshoot it for him. Any help would would be greatly appreciated. He also plays the pocket edition on his kindle fire and iPod touch.
Thanks.

JustLindsay
11-17-2013, 05:13 PM
If anyone plays on xBox Live, let me know. I told my son about this thread (10 years) and now he is super anxious for friends. He keeps asking. :) So, PM me or quote me (or whatever) if you have a kid interested.

crunchynerd
11-18-2013, 11:58 PM
Hey, I have a 9 yo DD and a DS just turned 6 this month, who newly discovered and love Minecraft, and we would be interested! My kids similarly don't engage in crude language.

JustLindsay
11-19-2013, 07:35 PM
Hey, I have a 9 yo DD and a DS just turned 6 this month, who newly discovered and love Minecraft, and we would be interested! My kids similarly don't engage in crude language.

Do you play on xBox or the computer? My son would love a friend to play with, but he plays on xBox.

bcnlvr
11-20-2013, 09:05 AM
Can I take a moment to brag on the cake I made for ds12's birthday? Yes, a grass block.

Otherwise, I have two, 12 and 8, who love to play MC.

jdubbleb
11-24-2013, 07:59 AM
My son is playing on the pc version now and tried joining Blacklandia and Trickster's server but is unable to connect. Is there something we are doing wrong. I do not know enough about it to troubleshoot it for him. Any help would would be greatly appreciated. He also plays the pocket edition on his kindle fire and iPod touch.
Thanks.

I will check with Trickster to confirm. I do know the computer he usually plays on has been having some technical difficulties I am working on fixing. But I will definitely get back with you, he will be excited :-)

crunchynerd
11-24-2013, 11:11 PM
Oh, we don't have an Xbox. Sorry! We are thinking of eventually buying or cobbling together more computers though, maybe having our own server. It's getting hard to have just one computer around here. Maybe an Xbox would be cheaper, though.

ejsmom
11-28-2013, 08:30 PM
I have a 10 yr old who loves minecraft. He would love to connect with other kids. He doesn't swear, and generally is just looking to build stuff with other kids. He loves the creativity of it all. I do know he has played (and will play) in survivor mode, though (not that I really understand what that means). We don't have a server and dh isn't too keen on setting that up (we have special security features because of dh's work). So to play with others, we are dependent on other's servers. We can Skype as well. My son generally looks to play in the late afternoons and evenings.

jdubbleb
11-30-2013, 06:30 PM
Ok, so computer fixed after 5 days of research (go me!). Trickster has been busy entertaining his cousin, but did take time to tell me that he must be available on Minecraft for his server to be available. He plans on playing next week and usually does so during his early afternoon break (12ish). Also, he doesn't know yet, but will be getting XBox360 and Minecraft for Christmas, so that will open more possibilities. Will PM Jess and JustLindsay with the deets :-)

aguane
12-16-2013, 01:40 PM
My son is playing on the pc version now and tried joining Blocklandia and Trickster's server but is unable to connect. Is there something we are doing wrong. I do not know enough about it to troubleshoot it for him. Any help would would be greatly appreciated. He also plays the pocket edition on his kindle fire and iPod touch.
Thanks.

Until recently we (Blocklandia) were on version 1.6.4. If your son was using a more recent version of the client, it would look like we were offline. We updated this weekend and he should be able to get on now. If not email us at [email protected] and we'd be happy to help you trouble shoot!

Ryan
01-24-2014, 08:13 PM
all four of mine from 18 down to 4 play minecraft on PS3.

ReneeMBM
01-25-2014, 07:34 PM
My nearly-5yo plays on the PC. She definitely knows more about it than I do. She can type a little, we haven't connected to servers.

nataliaz
02-03-2014, 09:09 AM
We're up for this too --. I have a 13yo girl who's new to Minecraft but loves it and would love to join a server. Please let me know if this is still on. Thanks,

lakshmi
02-05-2014, 11:20 PM
My kids play too.

Probably time for me to google. Minecraft for non-gaming parents.

Cogito
02-07-2014, 05:41 AM
My nearly 6yo is Minecraft addicted and I'd love to find some safe friends for him to play with. He plays on the computer and can only take playing with me so much. (i.e. I'm nearly as addicted as he is and bug him a lot.) He's begging me for the multiplayer servers/mini games but some of the things uttered there I try to keep him from for now. Mind you, his language isn't always great, but it's not to the extreme of those. (darn, crap, etc.) If anyone has someone near his age that would like to play, feel free to PM me so we can set something up.

vahsm2
02-11-2014, 05:25 PM
My 9 YO son and 12 YO daughter are really into Minecraft and have their own server. They are also involved with the Minecraft Homeschool program (minecrafthomeschool.com), so they're used to "team speak" with other kids. Let me know if your kids would like to play with mine.

HappilyUprooted
02-23-2014, 09:05 PM
my 5 and 7 year old are Minecraft OBSESSED! We only have the ps3 version, so I have no idea how the kids would play together. Anyone want to enlighten me?

ohioDad
02-23-2014, 11:30 PM
Unfortunately, it is not possible for someone playing on a console version to connect to the same server as someone on the PC version.

HappilyUprooted
02-24-2014, 10:50 AM
Unfortunately, it is not possible for someone playing on a console version to connect to the same server as someone on the PC version.
Thanks! That is what I was thinking, but I wasn't really sure. I wonder… what does it take to connect with others on a ps3?

kristinabrooke
03-09-2014, 11:43 PM
We just got Minecraft for PS3. My daughter 7 (almost 8) is learning to play.