PDA

View Full Version : Self care

Fiddler
07-25-2010, 09:17 PM
Come on--admit it--how many of you don't take time to take care of yourselves? Those of you who do, how do you do it? I'm talking emotional health and physical health care (including exercise). I'd love some inspiration!

Sarbare0704
07-25-2010, 09:22 PM
im with you on needing inspiration!

SherryZoned
07-25-2010, 09:24 PM
Yes, I am a slacker on myself! I do most of my self care at night while they are sleeping or when there dad is with them and I can step away for an hour. That is about it. Exercise is definitely at the bottom of the list but needs to be closer to the top. I am hoping when the weather cools we will be able to get back outside more. We all get exercise then.

I think it is all about if you don't take care of yourself then your kids suffer in the long run to. Teaching them about taking care of themselves is part of homeschooling, so maybe you can incorporate that for yourself also.

Fiddler
07-25-2010, 09:26 PM
Oh, Sara--your little ones are so young--I remember that era with fondness and dread mixed together! I wish you the best getting some inspiration--let's hope we see some more replies.

Fiddler
07-25-2010, 09:28 PM
I think it is all about if you don't take care of yourself then your kids suffer in the long run to.

Sherry, you are so, so right. I know I'm on a more even keel when I take time for myself but it is awfully hard to get back into the habit!

SherryZoned
07-25-2010, 09:29 PM
I hear you! I will do good for a few days then of course something derails me..lol..so maybe it is not about consistency as about if you have 5 minutes, then do something that makes you feel better even if it is a prayer, meditation, screaming..whatever floats your boat..hehehe

Sarbare0704
07-25-2010, 09:32 PM
Yeah my kids are still little but this has really been on my mind a lot lately! I need to figure something out to inspire me to do something for myself! I will fight tooth and nail if it is something that I think is best for the kids but when it comes to the smallest things for myself I give up easily! I need to also get my self working out and I am in the beginning stages of learning how to become a midwife I really really want to stick to it and not be scared off but I know it is a huge undertaking! I am scared!!! I just hate feeling like I fail at everything!

SherryZoned
07-25-2010, 09:35 PM
I am a failure too Sara! Seriously I understand where you are coming from.. I think you have to realize that you will do the best you can for your kids. While you do need to do something for yourself I have a firm belief that life happens in it's own time. So if you feel like you are failing now, it may be just the time right now, but does not mean later you will still feel that way. The wheel turns, so hang in there. If you don't take care of yourself nobody else will, you will get depleted and your kids will suffer. One day those kids will grow up and be gone and then where will you be? Do what you can do for yourself and RELAX! It is all about the failures that make us better people, that we can be more empowered and teach our children better.

Busygoddess
07-25-2010, 10:42 PM
When it comes to exercise, I'm working on incorporating the whole family into it, so that I'll be more likely to continue. I'm going to start having the kids do Yoga & maybe Tai Chi with me several times a week (from DVDs). My hubby's work schedule just changed. As we get used to the new schedule, I've decided to incorporate a family walk in the early mornings on his days off.
As for the rest of it, I honestly think I'm doing alright. Hubby & I get 'us' time after the kids go to bed. I get 'me' time after everyone else is in bed (and since I'm an insomniac, I get hours of 'me' time). Going for a certificate in Child Psychology is actually part of my taking care of myself. I don't plan to ever have a career in it, so I'm not going for a degree, but I'm accomplishing something & bettering myself. I have plans to do several other courses for certificates or career diplomas, just because I enjoy learning new things & expanding my knowledge. When the kids are older & I have a little more time, I'll work toward a degree (or a few of them). I also make time when I can (usually in the middle of the night) to do my crafts, art, research other interests of mine, read, etc. My business is also part of it. I'm not making tons of money, sales aren't incredibly high, but I enjoy making the products & am currently planning to improve them (after I redo my site).
I know it sounds kind of weird, and many people think the business, extra projects, and my schooling are just extra stressors on me. The truth is, though, they are a part of what keeps me sane, grounded, and balanced.

It's all about finding what fulfills you & making sure you incorporate it into your life. If you need to be alone to do 'me' things, carve out some time each week, even if it's an afternoon to yourself while your spouse (or partner, parents, babysitter, etc.) watches the kids. If you don't need to be alone for it (like with exercise) incorporate it into your daily life with your family; it'll be good for all of you.

schwartzkari
07-25-2010, 10:48 PM
Physical health: I make my doctors appointments a year in advance, LOL. I have my yearly checkup tomorrow morning actually and I always get a babysitter for the kids. No way are they coming with me. I actually enjoy sitting in the waiting room in silence looking at the old magazines, HA HA! I also take vitamins; B12, iron and St. Johns Wort (it works well for my anxiety.) I definitely do not workout like I should and I'm also a serious food lover (like right now, there is a bag of chocolate covered raisins in the cupboard, they are calling to me...) so I have some extra weight on my tummy...but before I get out of bed in the morning, I stretch my legs and arms. I was doing Yoga for awhile but with two little ones running around, I was having a hard time finding my moment of "zen." ;)

Emotional health: I keep a journal, I scrapbook (it really helps reduce stress) and I try to keep my friends and family close :)

JinxieFox
07-26-2010, 05:26 AM
Let's see... I try my hardest to take good care of myself! I work out 1-2 hours a day, 7 days a week, enjoy a long hot bath twice a week, and leave the house for an entire day during the weekend to "do my own thing" (write, research genealogy, hang out with friends, etc.).

Having a day designated as "my day" is very renewing!

hockeymom
07-26-2010, 07:01 AM
As a family, we are miserable with where we have lived for the past 2 years; we miss the comforts of home and hate living in such an isolated place. That said, because there is *nothing* to do here, I have found the space and time to explore things that have been lurking on the edges of my brain. This past year I mastered baking bread (I can't even remember the last time I bought a loaf!), am learning to knit, learned various ways of putting up food including making jams and jellies (clover, beach rose and strawberry have been some faves so far, and hopefully I'll get to make raspberry this afternoon after berry picking), and have almost completed a teachers aide course (also without plans for a career, but for myself). Not to mention I started homeschooling, with all the research and obsessing that entails!

As for exercise, I definitely need more and have recently started walking in the evenings. I have little excuse since DS is so active; often I let him and DH go for a bike ride together so I can "get stuff done" around the house when I really I should join in.

Overall, I feel like I'm in a really good place within myself. I spend an incredible amount of time in the kitchen which makes me immensely happy (and the rest of my family happy too!) and rediscovering the "home arts" in a way. This winter I hope to figure out how my sewing machine works so I can start sewing; DS loves to sew so it would be something we can do together (he helps me cook and bake too and is becoming really confident in the kitchen).

Currently I am reading Radical Homemakers: Reclaiming Domesticity from a Consumer Culture (http://www.amazon.com/Radical-Homemakers-Reclaiming-Domesticity-Consumer/dp/0979439116/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1280141663&sr=1-1) which really resonates with me. As I discover more people who share my values--both here with secular homeschooling, with treading gently on our earth, with centering our lives around our homes--I feel more empowered and less lonely, even though I know few in real life.

inmom
07-26-2010, 08:20 AM
I think taking time out for yourself is also sometimes dependent on two factors: a support system to help you, and the age of your kids.

Currently, for both my physical and mental health, I run or walk 4 miles every morning, sometimes with my husband. When together, we talk a lot during this time. However, I didn't start doing this until about 4 years ago, and even then my husband and I went separately as the kids were too young to leave alone even for an hour. Now they're older and can hang around the house an hour while we're out exercising running on the local roads.

If you don't have a hubby around during the time you'd like to exercise, you need other support--babysitter, grandma, etc

Busygoddess
07-26-2010, 09:20 AM
As a family, we are miserable with where we have lived for the past 2 years; we miss the comforts of home and hate living in such an isolated place. That said, because there is *nothing* to do here, I have found the space and time to explore things that have been lurking on the edges of my brain. This past year I mastered baking bread (I can't even remember the last time I bought a loaf!), am learning to knit, learned various ways of putting up food including making jams and jellies (clover, beach rose and strawberry have been some faves so far, and hopefully I'll get to make raspberry this afternoon after berry picking), and have almost completed a teachers aide course (also without plans for a career, but for myself). Not to mention I started homeschooling, with all the research and obsessing that entails!

As for exercise, I definitely need more and have recently started walking in the evenings. I have little excuse since DS is so active; often I let him and DH go for a bike ride together so I can "get stuff done" around the house when I really I should join in.

Overall, I feel like I'm in a really good place within myself. I spend an incredible amount of time in the kitchen which makes me immensely happy (and the rest of my family happy too!) and rediscovering the "home arts" in a way. This winter I hope to figure out how my sewing machine works so I can start sewing; DS loves to sew so it would be something we can do together (he helps me cook and bake too and is becoming really confident in the kitchen).

Currently I am reading Radical Homemakers: Reclaiming Domesticity from a Consumer Culture (http://www.amazon.com/Radical-Homemakers-Reclaiming-Domesticity-Consumer/dp/0979439116/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1280141663&sr=1-1) which really resonates with me. As I discover more people who share my values--both here with secular homeschooling, with treading gently on our earth, with centering our lives around our homes--I feel more empowered and less lonely, even though I know few in real life.

I love cooking & baking. We've gotten out of our routine lately with everything going on, and need to get back into the kitchen more. Generally, we have homemade pizza rolls, mozzerella bites, breads, etc. in the freezer. Lately, though, I just haven't gotten around to all of it. Last year, I bought canning stuff & decided to teach myself to can, but I haven't had the opportunity yet. I'm hoping to this fall. We'll be going to the apple orchard & hopefully coming home with tons of apples. I just need to buy more canning jars before then. My mom keeps offering me hers, but they've been stored in various wet, leaky, smelly basements for the last 25 years or so. In fact, I don't think my mother has ever canned anything.
I can sew, but don't really enjoy it. I'm just not into sewing, knitting, crocheting, etc. My daughter is, though. She's learning to crochet & knit, has her own loom, and wants to learn to sew. I just can't get into that stuff. I prefer the kitchen. I've been cooking & baking since I was around 6. This year, I'm expanding my cake decorating knowledge. Both the kids love to work in the kitchen & want to learn to decorate cakes. They want to learn to can with me, too.

wild_destiny
07-28-2010, 08:33 PM
Kari, you are too funny! And I am pretty sure you are the only one who keeps any bags of chocolate hidden around, aren't you (wink wink). Funny, isn't it? Most of the people I know hate the waits in a doctor's office, but I am with you in liking this time to sit in (relative) quiet, and just read magazines without interruptions. ("Did you just call my name, Nurse? Are you sure it's my time? Already? But I still had a few more articles to read, and it's so peaceful...")

schwartzkari
07-28-2010, 08:42 PM
Kari, you are too funny! And I am pretty sure you are the only one who keeps any bags of chocolate hidden around, aren't you (wink wink). Funny, isn't it? Most of the people I know hate the waits in a doctor's office, but I am with you in liking this time to sit in (relative) quiet, and just read magazines without interruptions. ("Did you just call my name, Nurse? Are you sure it's my time? Already? But I still had a few more articles to read, and it's so peaceful...")

I enjoyed my alone time at the doctors office very much this past week AND those chocolate covered raisins are gone... :( boo. LOL.

Shoe
07-29-2010, 03:04 AM
I've noticed in the past few months that I have really neglected my own needs physically and emotionally. I'm overwhelmed and exhausted, though our recent vacation has helped stave off a complete breakdown. I've really got to make time for myself...eat better, go for a daily run, sleep (something I've heard about and would really like to experience!), and just find a few minutes a day to meditate to clear my anxiety ridden and overwhelmed psyche....but who has time?

dbmamaz
07-29-2010, 11:31 AM
Shoe, I'm with you . . . except i'm wasting most of my time on the computer :-( When my anxiety kicks up, i have a hard time getting anything done . . .

InstinctiveMom
07-31-2010, 04:42 PM
My hubby and I both have been on a 'get in better health' kick lately - he's lost 20ish pounds and I've - well... not lost that much, lol. Why is it that men can simly decide to lose weight and they do and women have to work so hard at it?? I have noticed some improvements in my jeans though, so that's good. I started doing Jillian Michaels 30 day shed DVD a while back, then slacked - I am planning on picking that up again this week (since I didn;t start again last week - or the week before...). Or city holds an annual 5k run in Feb March-ish, so we're planning on starting the Couch to 5K progra (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml)m soon - all of us together - to get ready to run the 5k in 2011.

The kids and I swim several times a week and also bike together when it's not so bloomin' HOT outside. July and August are hard months to fit in outdoor exercise in Texas though.

Emotional health and inspiration... I (sort of) participated the Creativity Boot Camp (creativebootcamp.blogspot.com/) a few weeks ago. I had unrealistic expectations with my medium of choice though (drawing - I suck at drawing) and have plans to do it again with a more 'me' medium. I am also writing again, which i LOVE. I joined a newly formed writing group at the library, and our local writer's guild. I'm taking time for myself to go to meetings and work on projects to bring to the groups and have plans to go to a writer's conference in November. I'm also blogging a lot - again, this has to do with my writing, but it's just for me, so it counts :)

camaro
07-31-2010, 06:42 PM
If I might ask, hockeymom, how do you make jam/jelly out of clover? It's something I see growing out on the hay fields (not by choice because it's a PITA cutting and baling it when it gets tall, but some years it just shows up) and never would have thought one could do that sort of thing with it. I do some canning each fall, though. My specialties are tomato sauce and chokecherry jelly/syrup.