PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Nebraska

Elizabeth
07-25-2010, 12:09 PM
Hi- I have lurked for a while and am now starting to actually post :o . I pulled my son out of school a little over a year ago and started down the homeschooling path. I had some doubts at first-as did my husband- as I do work a lot (thankfully at home) and although the house is way messier than it used to be I am also quite pleased that my son is happier. He was going down a very dark(emotionally) hole for a while as the schools we attended tend to use isolation (for weeks) as a means to punish.
I am still adjusting our 'program' but I know he is learning. I feel a little more confident and the fact we homeschool was a great benefit when we stayed with family for a few months earlier this year to be nearby when my grandmother was in hospice.
My son does happen to be DX with Asperger's Syndrome and I suspect he is also bi-polar. With the 12 hours of sleep he really needs every night he had more good days than bad now.
Thanks!

Elizabeth

StartingOver
07-25-2010, 12:32 PM
Elizabeth, Welcome to the group. I know when I first started I wasn't sure either. But I knew rather quickly that it was something I could do, and was best for my step daughters back then.

With my older children homeschooling was wonderful when my mother was in hospice, it meant my children could spend tons of time with her. They got to spend a lot of time before that stage, but they really drew closer to her in the end. I think it was a life lesson they will never forget !

I know it has mellowed them all out a bit, and changed the direction of their lives. My daughter is now studying nursing. My oldest son is a Medic in the Navy. My middle son is in basic for the Army. They all want to help others now, before they had very different goals.

Topsy
07-25-2010, 05:16 PM
Welcome Elizabeth!! Thanks so much for your intro...it is always interesting (and sometimes even heart-wrenching) to hear the reasons why people turn to homeschooling. I'm so sorry your son had some difficult experiences with school. My younger son has mild Aspergers and I think school would have been a really bad idea for him - - especially in the early years.

I hope this site will be a good source of community and support for you as you continue along your homeschooling journey!!! :)

DDuckie
07-28-2010, 01:38 PM
We also had a lot of issues with negative behaviors (with our kids, their "friends" and the staff!) when our older ones were in school. I knew I could approach my husband about HS when he kept saying "What's going on at that place?!" I knew that if he was actually noticing then things were really bad.

Do you belong to any of the local support groups?

pandahoneybee
07-28-2010, 02:34 PM
Welcome to the group! I know after pulling my son out of the PS system he is on the road to being happy and loving to learn again!

Shoe
08-03-2010, 11:08 PM
Welcome to the group Elizabeth. I've got a lot of family in Omaha and Lincoln, but none of them are homeschoolers.

Cheers.