PDA

View Full Version : Favorite parenting books about adolescence

Fiddler
07-24-2010, 11:40 PM
I feel the need. . .

. . . the need to read.

Does anyone have a favorite book about parenting adolescents? I feel like I'm on a roller coaster and I wanna get off! Or at least read a guide book about where the roller coaster is headed.

Fiddler
07-25-2010, 01:41 PM
One book that was recommended (that was just published this spring and isn't in our library system yet, darn it) on another list is Living with Intense and Creative Adolescents by Lisa Rivero. Has anyone read that, and if so, have you found it helpful?

dbmamaz
07-25-2010, 09:12 PM
I never found a book - but my daughter and I were barely speaking from 11 to 17. It was at its worst when she was 16 - she hit me and tried to move in w gramma, that fell through and she ended up hospitalized and also dx'd with fibromyalgia after her third bad med reaction. But now . . . we're doing fine! She's planning on moving out in 2 mo and we'll probably be cooking together most of the time until then - after all, we couldnt be in the same room long enough for the last 6 years, so she hasnt had any training!

Fiddler
07-25-2010, 10:10 PM
Oh dear, Cara. I'm sorry that you went through all that with your daughter but am glad to hear you are close again now.

I figure when Jane hits puberty I'll be this <> close to menopause and at my very worst. How is that fair??

SherryZoned
07-25-2010, 10:31 PM
All I have to say is progesterone ladies! www.health-science.com I am on my second cycle using this stuff and my mood is improved, my energy is up, my time of the month is better..i am not trying to go off topic but trying to save your sanity..

Fiddler
07-25-2010, 10:33 PM
Is this something your doctor or midwife (I still see mine for check-ups) recommended? My sister uses it, but I've been hesitant to try it as I don't know enough about it.

SherryZoned
07-25-2010, 10:37 PM
Nope I have not been to a doctor or mid wife.. I decided I was done with PMS, being tired and went for trying it. I figure it can not be any worse then trying something else. My friend also is using it now and her time of the month is not bad at all which before she was spacey and very painful. Plus that site is a hypo allergenic bio identical so it is more natural then say popping a pill.
I did a lot of research before I decided to try that and I have tried many, many things to try and improve nothing else had worked until now.

SherryZoned
07-25-2010, 10:39 PM
Oh I meant to add I am 29 and 2 of my cousins who are about my age have had hysterectomies. My sister who is older has endometriosis. So I figure what do I have to lose at this point? Female issues are bad on both sides of my family..

So i am trying to avoid the surgery route that may be in my future.

Normally I have very bad ovulation pain but last month and this month since I started the progesterone NO PAIN! WOOHOO

Fiddler
07-25-2010, 11:03 PM
I'm so done with PMS, too, and it just keeps getting worse! I tried the vitamin/mineral/herb/essential fatty acid supplements from Women to Women (http://www.womentowomen.com/programs/default.aspx?id=1&campaignno=womentowomen&adgroup=adgroup1&keywords=women+to+women) for a few months but my body can't tolerate any form or amount of soy, and there are few supplements without it (vitamin E=usually soy-derived; anything with an emulsifier=usually soy lecithin), plus I started having an allergic reaction to something in the herb mix (oh, and I'm allergic to St. John's Wort, so goodbye natural Prozac).

Thanks for the reminder about progesterone cream, Sherry. I'll definitely be looking into it.

I do know that regular exercise is key to both mental and physical health, but without exercise equipment at home (unless you count the Wii ;) ) and with this darned heat and humidity (and don't get me started on the bugs!! I didn't move to MA to feel like I'm living in FL, thanks very much), I'm not getting the exercise I know I need (and my kids aren't either). I'm trying to figure out if a treadmill will fit into our tiny little guest room and what to do with it when we have company staying in that room (six-seven weeks of the year).

Wish I could be Nike, goddess of victory, and just do it. :rolleyes:

SherryZoned
07-25-2010, 11:14 PM
LOL Just Do it!

I have a pilates power gym and I wear my sketcher shape ups around the house. That is about as good as it gets here.. It is so unbelievably humid that we are house bound also.

dbmamaz
07-26-2010, 10:57 AM
My cycles arent that bad - but if you have so many food issues, have you experimented at all with diet to help w your kids moods? We're all gluten free, dairy free, additive free, and a few other weird ones here and there. Soy seems ok for us, tho.

SherryZoned
07-26-2010, 01:41 PM
I have tried all of that..and maybe if I kept it up better I would see better results.. Soy is not good for us.

My friend who uses progesterone is on the Raw Food diet, regular exercise, and still had issues. That is why I think part of it could be hormones vs just diet.. Maybe diet could control hormone balance but i would need to do a ton of research of on foods etc that balance hormones.