PDA

View Full Version : Salon article

Accidental Homeschooler
08-26-2013, 12:45 PM
School is a prison ? and damaging our kids - Salon.com (http://www.salon.com/2013/08/26/school_is_a_prison_and_damaging_our_kids/)

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
08-26-2013, 02:40 PM
He had me until he said that everyone should unschool their kids.

Stella M
08-26-2013, 06:13 PM
Ha! Haven't read it yet, but the title reminds me of when we went with dd14 to an open evening at her (potential) school and ds said to me 'Mum, why is it like a jail ?'

Stella M
08-26-2013, 06:29 PM
OK, well, yeah. Agree. Self-directed learning has the most value to the learner. Democratic schools are not immune from school issues, however, bullying among them.

MissyinSLC
08-26-2013, 08:40 PM
The title makes the article unsharable in my world. Not that I feel like we have to make school sound nicer/prettier than it is - but if I tried to share this publicly on facebook I would have ten of my closest friends and at least 40 acquaintances giving me grief without actually reading the article.

Unschooling fully doesn't work for my psyche (is that how you spell Psych-ee?) - but I like to go back to John Holt's definition "Unschooling is allowing children to learn with as much freedom as the parent can tolerate" - or something like that. So, with that in mind I embrace the article. Admittedly, I haven't read the Democratic School paragraphs because this doesn't apply to us right now - but I need to so I can fully discuss the article.

PetVet
08-26-2013, 10:16 PM
title made me chuckle.

my brother (no kids) is a federal corrections officer. he visited us when DS was enrolled in PS kindergarten and after asking DS several questions about his day, activities, etc., he matter-of-factly informed us that the convicts he worked with had more freedom than DS did. of course DS went to school the next day and told the entire class, including his teacher, exactly what his uncle told him: "my uncle works in a jail and he told me that murderers have more fun than we do!".

yep, i got a phone call ;)