PDA

View Full Version : Getting the kids to do handwriting

LeighAnn97
08-24-2013, 07:25 PM
I would love some suggestions. Over the years, for all of my kids, anytime I ask them to sit down for a bit of handwriting I get immediate tears. No pressure from me and I'm willing for them to do tiny amounts! The style we are using is the Getty-Dubay Italic.
At this point, I would like my 14 year old to learn the Italic Cursive, probably move my 11 year old on to the cursive and get my 7 year old to practice the regular Italic although I would be fine with her doing the cursive if she is interested (she has shown some interest). Even when the are interested and ask about it, the tear up as soon as they see the paper. :confused: My four year old would do a bit of practice with the basic italic.
With handwriting so far, the middle two taught themselves. My oldest went to school until mid way through 2nd and hated handwriting then too, but don't most kids hate all that handwriting in public school? I would really like the middle two to learn a more efficient way of writing compared to what they have worked out (though most of it is fine to get by on) and I would love my youngest to learn "right" from the start.

I hope this all makes sense and I look forward to some suggestions.

Leigh

Jeni
08-25-2013, 11:07 AM
I finally stopped stressing about it and just gave them HWWT. They so one set of pages in a sitting. They love giving it to everyone in the family to circle their favorite one and checking off the little box. It makes it low stress and they really enjoy it.

Gummers
08-25-2013, 11:31 AM
We also do HWWT. 10 minutes or 2 pages.

Leanne71
08-25-2013, 08:59 PM
We do 2 pages every other day, but we have "Targeting Handwriting" for Western Australia, it is Victorian cursive, but other than write cursive in the books, my lads print.......or scratch on the page.

I love script writing for myself and my partner has beautiful handwriting but none of the lads picked up either gene!

MrsLOLcat
08-25-2013, 11:28 PM
Instead of doing straight writing, handing them papers and asking them to copy or write, can you use games? Can you challenge the older ones by printing a word on the board and asking them to copy it in their best writing in cursive? Ask them to write words in a foreign language that you're learning? Use spelling words? For mine, using a whiteboard is a lot more fun than using paper - so is using construction paper, graph paper, anything other than regular ol' lined filler paper.

Are you stuck on the style? I only ask because, as others have mentioned, Handwriting Without Tears can be really helpful for reluctant writers. My daughter's handwriting naturally italicizes, but my son prefers the block style of HWT far more.

I see this is your first post, so I obviously don't know anything else about you, your kids, style, how long you've been homeschooling, etc., but I hope this is helpful.

Hollyberry
08-26-2013, 12:00 AM
For your younger ones maybe try to make it fun with Touch and Write Cursive app until you can get passed the tears? It's a fun app that does handwriting with shaving cream, jello, paint, etc. Also, online you can find handwriting sheets that you can customize. I found my son was more willing to practice with funny sentences I created.

rueyn
08-26-2013, 08:47 AM
I second the whiteboard idea (which got my broke-into-tears-over-handwriting son comfortable with handwriting). I also second Handwriting Without Tears. My son actually asks to do the book - one or two pages during dinner. I have no idea what's different about it, but I'm not sure it matters at this point :D