PDA

View Full Version : Homeschool ID Cards for Free? No string attached?

Oceanseve
08-22-2013, 11:08 AM
Anyone else seen this?

Homeschool ID Cards by Alpha Card

Anyone have any info on this company?

Anytime something is totally free I immediately think it's fishy.

MrsLOLcat
08-22-2013, 12:34 PM
One of my friends got hers a few days ago. I didn't see the point.

sdvelochick
08-22-2013, 01:14 PM
Some stores/museums will only give you a discount if you have the card. I got in free to a few museums with mine last year. Thought, I get one through the "school" we attend. I also figured that DSs id card might come in handy if anyone every questions why he isn't in school. Thought in 2 years nobody has ever asked. I'm kinda over worrying about that, but was a fear when I first started ;-)

wendygrace
08-22-2013, 01:24 PM
I don't know anything about that one but Homeschool buyers co-op I believe has a free template for making your own card then you can take it to office depot or whatever to laminate if you want. I just made a letter and had it notorazied (for free at the library or sometimes a bank will do it).

dbmamaz
08-22-2013, 01:29 PM
i've never had a need. you might want to ask other local homeschoolers what they do?

ksb427
08-22-2013, 01:34 PM
We get ours through NCDNPE (http://www.ncdnpe.org/) (state's division of non-public education) for free. Pretty handy to have actually.

Riceball_Mommy
08-22-2013, 02:23 PM
I printed one from HSBC for last year, in previous years I had the Calvert ones. It streamlined the process of renewing my Barnes and Noble teacher card. I like keeping them in a box. I like the idea of the PVC ones, but I just didn't want to pay to get them. This year I'll either print from HSBC again on card stock paper or maybe I'll order those.

mamaraby
08-22-2013, 06:32 PM
I get discounts locally with my ID (Nasco, Half Price Books, JoAnn's, etc). I get the PVC one from HSBC and easily recoup what I spent in savings.

Cynthia Williford
09-08-2013, 09:49 PM
I just got mine in the mail, and it was indeed completely free. I don't need an ID card for my younger child, but my older one is in the 9th grade and of an age to be able to be out and about by himself at times. I wanted him to have an ID card so he can attend teen events and so that he would have proof that he is actually in school when he is, for example, at the library during the day. I like that it's a nice, durable card and doesn't look homemade.

jsaffold
09-11-2013, 12:41 PM
Well I have to say this peaked my interest... and also sent my spidey senses in full alert mode.. *FREE* (snort/laugh) nothing is ever free.. BUT I have a need/want of a student ID card for my daughter.. as there are many times that if she did have one we would have /could have gotten discounts.. free admission etc..
But I had no idea it was even an option for homeschoolers.. (I find my self saying that to my self a lot these days) As this is our first "official year" full on homeschooling. And I have now learned to ignore that little voice and educate it instead.
I digress.. I just ordered one of those handy dandy little ID cards for my daughter.. ( after having my I.T. husband check it all out..{spidey senses} and got the green light, I expect it to arrive in 2-4 weeks;)

I will be honest I was skeptical of the whole totally free thing until the very end and I clicked "submit order" ( totally expected them to ask for credit card info. I've been burned on "freebies" before , ya fill out all the stuff.... then that last thing ..oh for 'blah blah blah reasons please enter credit card #.. [ delete] [delete] [delete] grr

They didn't ask for a credit card.. didn't ask for any private info.. everything that is on that card is public knowlege anyway...name , DOB, etc.. the partent info they ask for an email and phone #.. and obviously mailing address.

So... Thak you very much for sharing that link... would have never found it..umm cause I wasn't looking:o

BarbaraH
09-11-2013, 01:45 PM
Another thing some families may wish to consider it getting a state issued ID government ID if your student doesn't already have a passport, driver's license, or passport card. These cards are available from the DVM - usually inexpensive -just $5 in my state. This is especially a good idea for middle and high school age kids who might be flying or taking the SAT or ACT (which now have stringent photo ID requirements and won't accept stuff like homeschool IDs).

jsaffold
09-11-2013, 02:07 PM
Good to know.. I will keep that in mind for when my dd gets to that level.

crunchynerd
09-28-2013, 10:23 AM
Yes, they are free because you give your kid's name and birthdate, and the fact that they are homeschooled, and that helps the corps-and-govt place them on the longitudinal database being built to keep track of people better. Sounds fun, right?

crunchynerd
09-28-2013, 10:24 AM
Of course, your state likely already has that info (except in places like Texas) but giving this info to Big Data really assists in making sure everyone is nice and accounted for, whether they would be otherwise, or not.

dbmamaz
09-28-2013, 10:48 AM
actually they said they've reached their limit for the program for this year . . . it looks like they are a company that provides ID cards for tons of businesses and this is one of their charitable activities.

domular
10-02-2013, 10:08 PM
actually they said they've reached their limit for the program for this year . . . it looks like they are a company that provides ID cards for tons of businesses and this is one of their charitable activities.

Yes this offer has expired but you can still get Homeschool IDs at Homeschool Student and Educator ID Cards (http://www.homeschoolid.com)