PDA

View Full Version : If you occasionally deep fry things

farrarwilliams
08-21-2013, 07:04 PM
If you occasionally deep fry things, then what oil do you use? I use olive oil for most cooking, butter and occasionally coconut oil for baking, and I have a few other specialty oils for specific reasons... But I don't want to use any of those to deep fry, obviously. I used to use "vegetable oil" and then I used canola, but both of those are kind of icky. Canola oil... ew. I mean, the idea of making deep fried food more healthy is pretty silly, but I'd rather use the "right" oil... I just have NO idea what that is at this point.

So... help me maintain my southern heritage here. Okra deserves deep frying. And catfish. And fritters of various kinds.

dbmamaz
08-21-2013, 07:15 PM
i usually use some sort of vegetable oil, peanut being my fave for frying. i dont think its particularly healthier. I use shortening sometimes, too, because my mom used to.

dragonfly
08-21-2013, 07:26 PM
I think this chart is handy: http://www.eatingrules.com/Cooking-Oil-Comparison-Chart_02-22-12.pdf

I usually use light olive oil.

ksb427
08-21-2013, 07:29 PM
For deep frying, which we do maybe four times a year, we use peanut oil.

MrsJadeDragon
08-21-2013, 07:36 PM
I use canola oil. I honestly never realized what it was... I may have to rethink that in the future. Otherwise, we just use corn and occasionally peanut oil if I find it at a decent price.

Crabby Lioness
08-21-2013, 07:38 PM
The best is coconut oil, if you can find it. If not use peanut oil.

farrarwilliams
08-21-2013, 07:51 PM
I use coconut oil for some things, but it adds a layer of taste. Like, I do stir fries and I pop popcorn with it and I think it compliments the flavor, but deep frying hush puppies in it sounds weird.

Sounds like the consensus is peanut oil, which I've actually never used. Oh! I take that back. In China, it was the only oil available most of the time, so I guess I cooked with it occasionally there. But I did so little cooking in China.

farrarwilliams
08-21-2013, 07:57 PM
I think this chart is handy: http://www.eatingrules.com/Cooking-Oil-Comparison-Chart_02-22-12.pdf

I usually use light olive oil.

Thanks for that! I had no idea sesame oil was so bad. I use just a dab of it to finish the stir fry sauce. Rethinking that now.

The butter thing is annoying... I mean, if the cows are grass fed it effects that butter *that* much. I'm sure I have no idea where my butter comes from. I mean, "Costco" is all I know.

hockeymom
08-21-2013, 07:58 PM
Out of curiosity...what's wrong with canola oil? I'm intrigued.

hockeymom
08-21-2013, 07:59 PM
I think my (southern) dad used to use lard...do people do that anymore?

farrarwilliams
08-21-2013, 08:06 PM
Canola is GM so some people don't like it for that reason. And the way it's grown isn't so good, so some people don't like it for that reason. And there have been some studies about how our bodies don't process it like other oils, which strikes me as weird. I don't want to start a huge GMO debate though. It's not horrible, I would just rather have something more on the natural end.

All my southern family cooks with Crisco, not lard, and always have. We partake in Crisco biscuits when we're there. Yum. And I avoid it otherwise. :(

hockeymom
08-21-2013, 08:38 PM
Ah. But how about organic canola? It should be not GM, at least in theory.

I hadn't read that about how we process canola vs other oils. Off to research!

inmom
08-21-2013, 08:42 PM
We use peanut oil for frying. I think it's because it can reach a higher temperature before it starts smoking than the other oils. And when frying, the higher the temp, the shorter the cooking time and the less oil in your food product.

dbmamaz
08-21-2013, 08:59 PM
canola is derived from . . rapeseed oil? Which was used only for mechanical purposes because it was poisonous. Canola is defined as any rapeseed plant with the percent of that toxic substance under some amount. (precise, there huh :rolleyes: )

anyways, canola makes me sick. i havent tried it in a few years, but i tested it a few times and so now i avoid it. its really really hard to avoid both dairy and canola. plus my daughter was off soy for a while, that made life really really hard!

farrarwilliams
08-21-2013, 09:35 PM
GM and organic are mutually exclusive, I think. Organic things can totally be GM. My understanding is that the processing of canola oil means that is must be bleached and cleaned in a funny way. I'm not specifically bothered by GM foods, though there are some things associated with GM foods that bother me (monocultures, agribusiness). But canola oil, when I read about it, reminded me of the process by which those really red candy cherries are made - first, they're bleached, then they're dyed. Ick.

olivebend
08-21-2013, 09:40 PM
While I totally understand how okra deserves deep frying, I have started making them like this (http://garnishandgather.com/garnish-gather-around-the-table/entry/quick-and-easy-appetizer-spicy-okra-fries)lately and am in love. I actually crave them. I'm going to be sad when the season is over.

MrsLOLcat
08-21-2013, 09:41 PM
I've been using vegetable oil because DH brought home a thing of it from Sam's Club, but once that's gone, I intend to switch over to coconut. I would like to use peanut but can't because I have a friend who is highly allergic to all nut products, and I like that she feels my house is 'safe.'

melissa
08-21-2013, 10:27 PM
I've been using vegetable oil because DH brought home a thing of it from Sam's Club, but once that's gone, I intend to switch over to coconut. I would like to use peanut but can't because I have a friend who is highly allergic to all nut products, and I like that she feels my house is 'safe.'
What a good friend!:)

jess
08-21-2013, 11:33 PM
I think my (southern) dad used to use lard...do people do that anymore?
We do. It's actually more healthy than a lot of choices, especially when it's from pigs with a healthy diet and sun exposure.

farrarwilliams
08-22-2013, 12:30 AM
I've had pie crust made with lard and it was pretty divine. But I've never used it before.

Gummers
08-22-2013, 03:12 AM
I can't remember the last time I deep fried. But I do have a small bottle of canola oil sitting in my cupboard, so I assume I would use that. I'll rethink if there are environmental concerns, but the GM part doesn't bother me.

hockeymom
08-22-2013, 05:08 AM
OK, after brief research I've determined that canola doesn't look any worse than any other kind of oil, either in growing techniques or health detriments. But regardless, I use almost exclusively olive oil and only occasionally canola or sesame oil, depending what I'm making. But none for deep frying, which I've never tried.

Lard seems to be making a comeback. It seems a good choice in many ways if you render it yourself, or can support a local farmer who sells it.

Teri
08-22-2013, 09:37 AM
I use coconut oil for a lot of things, olive oil, peanut oil and sesame oil.

bcnlvr
08-22-2013, 09:46 AM
Lard. Period.

(The only fats in our home are: Lard, butter, coconut oil, olive oil, and sometimes tallow.)