PDA

View Full Version : The Oatmeal

sdvelochick
08-21-2013, 03:36 PM
Who likes using The Oatmeal for grammar? We do!
How and why to use whom in a sentence - The Oatmeal (http://theoatmeal.com/comics/who_vs_whom)

Some things may be offensive to some people, just a cya for me :). We love it though. This one a out who and whom is great. I personally also love the literally vs figuratively one as well as the "alot" one. If you've never seen them, definitely take a peak.
Sorry if this has been discussed before. I searched as best I could and couldn't find reference to it :)

bibiche
08-21-2013, 05:28 PM
That's a fun site. I've never seen it before. I confess I do find it funny that a grammar site uses the phrase "...someone who is having something done to them." Them instead of him or her along with "if I would have known" instead of "if I had known" are my pet peeves.

Anyway, thanks for the link, DS loved the site and we'll have fun exploring it.

atomicgirl
08-21-2013, 06:44 PM
I love this. Grammar is not my thing. People expect me to like and use it well, because I have a degree in English lit (among other things). However, the intimate understanding of a catalogue of arcane rules required to never hit on someone's grammar peeve just makes me want to rebel, type everything in lower case, and give up pronouns and commas all together. For the sake of helping my children grow into literate and well-regarded writers I do try, though, and this will be helpful.

PetVet
08-24-2013, 12:31 AM
^^^go ahead come to the dark side do it^^^

Stella M
08-24-2013, 01:12 AM
Whom is vocabulary drenched in bourbon! That's cute :)

jsaffold
08-24-2013, 10:05 PM
This is awesome!! I love it, muuhhaaaa. I can just envision my daughter turning to me and saying.. " Is this appropriate?" :cool:

ThePanix
08-25-2013, 12:12 AM
Very cool. Thanks!

Jackielyn
09-05-2013, 07:07 AM
We enjoy The Oatmeal for science :) "Death, death, death!" - Mantis Shrimp

JinxieFox
09-05-2013, 10:09 AM
I've always loved The Oatmeal. :D