PDA

View Full Version : When does everyone start?

sunshinet
08-17-2013, 12:40 AM
I'm new to this, but public and private schools start here in Florida on Monday.Some of you are year round, I realize, but when did/will the rest of you start your school?

MrsLOLcat
08-17-2013, 12:56 AM
We started five weeks ago. We do an almost-year-round sort of schedule - we have regular 1- or 2-week breaks throughout the school year but the kids still get two months of summer vacation.

MrsJadeDragon
08-17-2013, 01:37 AM
We're officially starting next Wednesday because we're homeschooling under a charter but we've been "in school" since the beginning of August.

sdvelochick
08-17-2013, 01:42 AM
We start Wednesday with a CA charter school :) my son really likes sticking with the school calendar so that he gets his correct number if days off lol. He doesn't trust me to give him days off ;)

atomicgirl
08-17-2013, 02:17 AM
We started on Tuesday, because that's when my son, who is in a half-time public school program started.

Gummers
08-17-2013, 07:16 AM
Starting gently tomorrow, with the plan not to stop until after next Ramadan. I'm going to plan this year a lot lighter than last so that we don't have to scramble to catch up when we want to take beach days and have play dates or go on vacation. I'm very excited!

hockeymom
08-17-2013, 08:16 AM
We started a couple weeks ago. Every year around the end of July/early August, DS gets twitchy to start back up.

inmom
08-17-2013, 08:59 AM
The kids start Monday with their dual credit classes (Chemistry and English comp.). At home they'll be doing math, US History, Spanish, programming (ds only), and photography (dd only). We'll add these in slowly during the next couple of weeks.

farrarwilliams
08-17-2013, 09:55 AM
I haven't decided for sure, but I'm thinking Oct. 1st right now. But we still have a few more days of last year, so obviously our schedule is kooky.

Riceball_Mommy
08-17-2013, 10:09 AM
We've tried the year round thing more successfully this year, but I didn't start my log back up until the beginning of this month, but when I go for the review I'll only bring the log from the beginning of September on.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
08-17-2013, 10:16 AM
Monday! But we'll have a couple of light weeks with mostly half days in September when my parents are visiting.

jess97
08-17-2013, 10:29 AM
We started July 1st but have taken the last week off. We are also getting ready to move, so I think we will be homeschooling lite for the next few weeks.

I have to say that I am LOVING the flexibility homeschooling provides. Oh, and no back to school shopping for me! :p

dbmamaz
08-17-2013, 11:37 AM
Schools around here dont start until the day after labor day. I'm seriously baffled how many schools start in august.

Anyways, we school year round, with quarterly 2-week breaks which coordinate with family birthdays. We are currently on our summer term (which is even lighter this year than last, i think, sigh). Our break will be the first two weeks of september and we will start back to full time school the 3rd week of september.

towhee
08-17-2013, 02:07 PM
We'll start sometime in October. The weather in Oregon is gorgeous in September so I don't want to miss any of it! And it's fun to go the parks after the school kids are back in school.

Tori

ThePanix
08-17-2013, 03:03 PM
We do some light schooling in the summer. But our official 1st Day with new curriculum is September 16th.

quabbin
08-17-2013, 04:58 PM
Kindergarten starts Sept. 3! But we do a few minutes of the 3 Rs year-round.

Mum
08-17-2013, 07:50 PM
Not until the county starts back a week from this Monday. Once his buds aren't here to play with, he'll get bored anyway...

sunshinet
08-17-2013, 08:41 PM
My ds has his birthday this Tuesday, so we are aiming for the next Monday as well. We're going to loosely follow local school calendar but without the random days off. We'll pick our own days. It's cool that everyone just does their own thing, takes breaks when needed, etc.

trulycrabby
08-17-2013, 08:49 PM
We started June 1 with math, grammar, spelling, science, reading and sort of a relaxed schedule. We will pick up the pace this next week when local public schools get started, but we have already made very good progress, especially in math. I wanted to get a head start to see if we could truly pull off homeschooling (Yes! hooray!!!), and we might take a few weeks off in the fall to enjoy cooler weather.

abarnswell
08-17-2013, 09:43 PM
I'm homeschooling my 13-year old daughter. We are planning to start the new school year the day after Labor Day (September 3). I think I prefer the idea of going year around, though, with intermittent breaks. But my daughter doesn't want to give up her "summer break." I think going year-around would aid in retention. We'll see.

April

RTB
08-17-2013, 09:54 PM
We started 7/1. We do 6 weeks on, one week off, with 6 week breaks Thanksgiving to New Year, and then in Mid-May to thru June. We still had to finish some math from last year, so the first 6 weeks have been kind of lite. But it all works out in the end.

dbmamaz
08-17-2013, 10:25 PM
summer semester is MUCH lighter for us. and usually includes a fun component, like science kits or fun videos like mythbusters

Gummers
08-18-2013, 03:53 AM
Changed my mind. We'll start tomorrow.... lol.

Leanne71
08-18-2013, 10:42 AM
Two weeks ago, hoping week 3 will be as good as the first two.

Zuzu
08-18-2013, 11:18 AM
Labor Day (because DD said she didn't really care about getting it off). Here's hoping I manage to get our books and supplies here before then. ;)

Laina
08-18-2013, 02:34 PM
August 28th is the first day for us! I'm excited--I'll have a kindergartner and a third grader this year :)

Sweden
08-18-2013, 10:11 PM
My 6 y/o has put in a week already. My 8 y/o starts on Tuesday. First year of real HSing. Should be interesting.

OldFarmer
08-18-2013, 11:23 PM
We did a couple of pre-tests last week, start coursework this week, though the kids have been reviewing languages daily through summer break.

jdubbleb
08-19-2013, 01:27 PM
We school all year round. Just focusing on math and copy work right now, but we also do a lot of read louds, nature hikes, hands on projects and narration too.

We will slowly add additional subjects: history, science, economics (unit study on savings and profit) and English/Latin. I decided against a formal writing program because we write across the curriculum. We will probably be full throttle by Oct. 1 as well...

LAR
08-19-2013, 10:38 PM
We're a Florida homeschool family, and always start the first Monday in August. It works well for our family to be back in full swing before public school. We add one activity throughout August/September: dance, chess, book club, aquarium, etc. This gradual addition to the schedule suits our girls.

Little Brownelf
08-20-2013, 04:03 AM
We're year rounders. We took a lot of days off at end of spring/ start of summer and got further behind. We've been pretty consistent for July and August though. We're wrapping up some curricula and plugging away with others. So I'm thinking a week or two off for the things we finish. That will give us either a Sept. 3 or Sept. 9 start date with some of the new / next level of curricula.

Local ps here started last week. :p

archaeomeg
08-20-2013, 11:19 AM
We usually start with the public schools, the Tuesday after Labor Day. This year we've got my mom coming to visit Aug 28-Sep 13 so we may be sporadic while she's here, so I was thinking of starting early and try to knock out a week before she arrives.

coloradoalice
08-20-2013, 04:56 PM
I was going to start after Labor Day but then we decided to move (closing Sept 20th) so I'm thinking we will start next week and then take a week break starting the 20th.

J&C'sMommy
08-20-2013, 05:25 PM
We started August 5th and spent that week just focusing on math, LA, & reading time. Last week we included science and history (2x a week each). Later this week we will start music.

dbmamaz
08-20-2013, 05:26 PM
i like that gradual ramp-up. thats what we did the first year.

angie0322
08-20-2013, 06:22 PM
This is our first year. My dd is 5 and will be starting kindergarten. We will be starting the day after labor day like all of the schools around here, and then continue to a year round schedule.

Twinsmomma27
08-31-2013, 05:26 PM
This is our first year home schooling so I wanted to start slowly. We started the first week of August and will be doing it full steam ahead starting next Thursday. The public school kids go back to school on that day, Thursday Sept. 5th. (some schools go back the 4th)

We plan on getting as much done as possible when we can so that we can take lots of breaks during the year and be 100% done with 3rd grade by the end of June. So far that is the plan, we will see how it goes!

Epiphany
09-01-2013, 11:40 AM
We started on Thursday, and have two days down of our first year of homeschooling. We actually did quite a bit informally last year, but he was only five and not really ready for anything too structured. This year we have an actual curriculum that we are following. Planning on taking a break in October and then a couple of weeks off at the holidays. Hubs is a teacher and has 16 days off in December. We generally have school on the same days he does because it just makes things easier.

JinxieFox
09-01-2013, 05:13 PM
Before I had to worry about sharing custody, we started in September after Labor Day and ended in mid-July each year (so roughly year-round, with one lazy month).

eranderson4711
09-01-2013, 10:23 PM
I think we will start around the 15th of September.

crunchynerd
09-02-2013, 01:24 AM
I had intended to start when the public schools here did, August 28th, but we were sick. Then we got sick twice more... tiredness/gut bugs, then low fever and more gut, and most recently, tiredness, sore throat, and headache. Whether it's all one illness or 3 is hard to tell because between bouts we were ok. But DD's birthday is the end of this week, and I'm not being official at anything this week except trying to get the house back in order. Starting the second week of September is fine. I'm also seeing more sense in a year-round light studies lifestyle, because my kids love delving deeply into something, and 6 subjects a day, and barely scratching the surface each time, just won't work for us.

outskirtsofbs
09-02-2013, 02:43 AM
We started five weeks ago. We do 10 months (with a week off every 4-5 weeks) on and two months straight off.

kmath
09-02-2013, 06:01 AM
We started August 12th. This is our first year so not sure how the summer is going to go yet. We might do a year round schedule, but don't know for sure yet.

Zuzu
09-02-2013, 09:50 AM
Starting today!