PDA

View Full Version : Earth Science Field Trip Brainstorm!

Paula
08-16-2013, 10:58 AM
I need help coming up with a few fun places to go to learn about earth science. We're using The Usborne First Encyclopedia of the World and have already gone spelunking at a nearby cavern. Aside from volcanoes, what are some other landscapes we could visit? We live in California, so we might travel to some earthquake exhibits, but I need more ideas!

sdvelochick
08-16-2013, 11:10 AM
If you're near a beach seeing all the erosion is great. Do you have any gem mining places near you? i know down in San Diego we have a couple of places. We also did a trip to a gold mine which was neat because they talked about where and in what type of rock gold was found and how it ended up in rivers.
Have fun!

ScienceGeek
08-16-2013, 12:38 PM
Where in CA? Black Diamond Mines has some cool tours but kids have to be 7 and up. I believe there are places where you can see fault lines - go to the San Andreas fault. The Lawrence Hall of Science has some earth science exhibits outside with great views of San Francisco and the bay. I haven't been, but a friend went to the US Geologic center - but I can't find the info.

here's a link to articles about field trips in the area.
Geology and Natural History of the San Francisco Bay Area; A Field-Trip Guidebook (http://pubs.usgs.gov/bul/b2188/)

inmom
08-16-2013, 01:06 PM
How about fossil hunting. My ds and I just returned from a 3-day jaunt through Indiana on a geology-based field trip. We found fossils, hiked to small waterfalls, found sinkholes created in limestone, and hiked around both a fen and a bog (groundwater aspect of geology--fen is alkaline, whereas a bog is acidic). We used this site to find fossil collecting sites. Here's one for CA: California Fossil Sites and Collecting Localities (http://www.fossilsites.com/STATES/CA.HTM). Yosemite Nat'l park is also a great place to look at the effects of geology over time. See Geology - Yosemite National Park (http://www.nps.gov/yose/naturescience/geology.htm). I may be able to think of some more; my ds has been interested in geology for years, so we've been west to many parks to explore: Yosemite, Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Glacier, Zion, Canyonlands, Arches, Bryce.

farrarwilliams
08-16-2013, 04:50 PM
There's bound to be a mineral museum or exhibit somewhere for you to see. We went fossil hunting as suggested (a giant extinct whale skull was just found where we fossil hunted!). And we rock collected and identified in lots of places. We just kept going to places and observing the geology. Go to the parks and places you normally go, but google about the geology beforehand and then explore in a more purposeful way. I learned a lot about the formations just around us because of this.

OldFarmer
09-04-2013, 10:37 AM
Beach is good for tides and some weather stuff, too.

I second fossil hunting. We did that last year and it was pretty fun.

Ds says any possibility to note land formations, mountains, soil differences, would be good.