PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from NE!

DDuckie
07-22-2010, 11:17 AM
Hello!

I don't think I introduced myself when I first joined up, so here it is:

We have 4 boys, currently 12, 11, 10 and 5. The oldest three were in PS until May of 2009; the youngest was in a private preschool for 4 years and joined us on our journey in June. :) Our boys have been labeled ADHD, ADD, ODD and LD. Funny that most of that disappeared once we took them out of public school. ;)

We spent our first year, for the most part, deschooling. While others might think we didn't do much, I'm calling the last "school year" a roaring success. Our kids got to know each other, our oldest has learned to love reading (rather than despise it), and my husband has slowly climbed on board.

This coming year, he's going to be helping with math as well as helping me put together our curriculum plans and schedule. (I'm an ADDer, so I truly need the schedule - or I'll sit on the computer for hours...or days...:D)

Looking forward to learning more from you!

pandahoneybee
07-23-2010, 10:25 AM
Welcome to the site! We did deschooling as well, after 6 months of mass chaos! I am a ADDer too and with my oldest who is an ADHDer some days are crazy around here! I am working on a new schedule for us as well, Let me know how it works for you! Can't wait to get to know ya better

StartingOver
07-23-2010, 11:11 AM
Welcome to the site! We did deschooling as well, after 6 months of mass chaos! I am a ADDer too and with my oldest who is an ADHDer some days are cray around here! I am working on a new schedule for us as well, Let me know how it works for you! Can't wait to get to know ya better

Welcome ! I never had to deschool, as we started from the beginning. But I regularly recommend it.

Topsy
07-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Great to have you here! We don't get a lot of Nebraskans around here, so it is delightful to see a new one!! I'm in awe of anyone raising four boys...my two are plenty enough! ;) I hope you will hang out with us often so we can all get to know you better....

Shoe
07-23-2010, 07:45 PM
Welcome to the site DDuckie. I look forward to getting to know you better, but also as to hearing your process of "deschooling", since I think I'm going to need to something similar with my kids (well, at least my daughter) this coming year. I'm usually here a lot (probably too much) but I've been kind of sporadic this summer, so sorry if I'm a little late in the welcoming.

Elizabeth
07-26-2010, 04:56 PM
Welcome! I am in Nebraska as well (near offutt afb) and have one son. We are going into our second year as well. I pulled my son out April 2009.

DDuckie
07-28-2010, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the welcomes!

Shoe, we started out last summer jumping right in, but after 3-4 weeks, the kids and I were all burned out and we just needed some time to unwind. We did occasional schooling stints over the course of the year when we felt we ought to be "doing school", but nothing that lasted more than a week. We went to the park, made trips to the library, played outside, went to museums and went places when my husband was off. (He has a rotating day off, so is usually off in the middle of the week - it was GREAT not having to worry about whether we were back in time to pick up our kids from school!)

Mostly, we let the kids do kid things for most of the time and I got used to us all being home. (Probably a bigger adjustment for me than anyone else...LOL)