PDA

View Full Version : Chart of religions?

summer94
08-15-2013, 02:52 PM
I don't know if this exhists, or something like it.

I grew up Babtist, but always with doubt (like if/when I prayed it always started with "if there is a god" etc), then became agnostic sometime in my teens/20's, no defining moment, just was. Then in the last few years have become Atheist. Now I'm really wanting to learn more about religion and it's origins (funny how when someone becomes atheist they want to learn more about religion vs just accepting what you're told lol)

So from what I've learned, Christianity has "borrowed" from hundreds/thousands of different religions/deity's that are older. Super fascinating to me and I want to show my kids how all these religions intertwine and borrow/change beliefs.

So is there like a chart or something? Like a flow chart? We do better with charts vs long paragraphs.

I know the "virgin birth" was borrowed, but from how many and which ones? I want to see these major events.

Does anyone know of any resource like this?

dbmamaz
08-15-2013, 03:15 PM
this isnt what you were asking for, but it is a religion chart i had bookmarked

summer94
08-15-2013, 03:27 PM
LOL, there is nothing linked ;)

CatInTheSun
08-15-2013, 03:30 PM
How come when I read chart fo religions I thought "dart board" and immediately went to "drinking game"? It's been a long morning...

Not too helpful, but I would start with the Epic of Gilgamesh. You might also find info by searching on "comparative religion". Understanding that much of religion is about defining how you are the same (borrowing) and different (borrowing, but with a twist). That shows up a lot in the middle easter creation stories of the "big three" and are easy to trace through Ur, etc.

As a parallel or lead in you can talk about the Romans and how they borrowed Greek religion, and even days of the week were allowed to be transposed (our days come from the norse versions of the Roman days) and much of our awful spelling comes from the romanization of the celtic languages by christian missionaries to replace their native runes with what was then phonetic latin (thought, would).

Gummers
08-15-2013, 03:30 PM
If something that chronicles individual instances of borrowing between religions did exist, I would be pretty skeptical about sources and information.

I have absolutely no doubt that Christianity (and most religions) borrowed from the religions that it preceded. However, there are lots of claims of theft/borrowing that are disputed in the academic world. What source do you have that the virgin birth was borrowed? I've heard people claim that it was borrowed from Mithraism, but there isn't a lot of evidence to back that up and in fact there is evidence against that.

I'm an atheist, btw, so don't mistake what I'm saying for defense of my own beliefs or anything. :D

summer94
08-15-2013, 03:49 PM
Gummers, I just found this.. POCM Christian Jesus virgin birth miracle copy of pagan myth (http://www.pocm.info/pagan_ideas_virgin_birth.html) Haven't read it too throughly yet, I'm too tired and my brain is farting all over the place lolol

dbmamaz
08-15-2013, 04:08 PM
sorry!

The Big Religion Comparison Chart: Compare World Religions - ReligionFacts (http://www.religionfacts.com/big_religion_chart.htm)

Stella M
08-15-2013, 06:48 PM
I like that chart but I do wish they hadn't put atheism on it. Atheism is not a religion!

dbmamaz
08-15-2013, 08:22 PM
but it makes sense as something to compare religions to?

onyxravnos
08-16-2013, 02:57 AM
the unitarian universalists frequently use charts like that. You might troll around their site. :)

kristinabrooke
08-16-2013, 03:53 AM
The book "What Do You Believe" is really good for teaching about religions. Very short paragraphs, lots or pics, and basic information. We really like it here.