PDA

View Full Version : Recipe Boxes

Crabby Lioness
08-14-2013, 04:40 PM
I recently rescued a 1970s tin recipe box and started copying out recipes into it. We'd been storing recipes on the computer, but with 5 people using it access was becoming an issue. Do you have a recipe box? What recipes to you keep in it? Or is this just my midlife crisis expressing itself in a rather genteel manner?

farrarwilliams
08-14-2013, 04:42 PM
I have my grandmother's recipes that someone compiled into a binder. And I have a "recipe box" on my iPad. I love the idea of an old style recipe box. Someone pulled out a recipe for the crowd at our family reunion and another person recognized the handwriting on it immediately as belonging to an old family friend. I thought that was really cool.

dbmamaz
08-14-2013, 04:54 PM
i had a box for a while, back in college. then my bf's mom got me a little notebook with recipe pages in it, and i used that for a while. Then I used to print recipes and i filled a small 3-ring flexible binder with page protectors and used that, and now i have it all on my ipad. If my teen wants a recipe, we print it and he keeps a few on the fridge. My husband doesnt much cook. He helps chop veggies, mostly.

Take2
08-14-2013, 05:21 PM
I have a (messy) recipe binder. I just shove recipes in there and plan some day to get it organized! I use Pinterest a lot, but it isn't organized either. I love looking through my mom's old recipe binders...."bake in a quick-moderate oven"....what the hell is that!

MrsJadeDragon
08-14-2013, 07:10 PM
I have a messy binder, a disorganized Evernote notebook, my former food blog (which I'm reorging now) and Pinterest. (Ah, the time sink of 3,000+ recipes that I WILL NEVER ACTUALLY MAKE.)

I remember growing up, my mom didn't have a recipe box but she did have an old stained and dog-eared 1970s hardback cookbook that she kept notes and handwritten recipes in. I would often take it out and thumb through it. My mom isn't the best cook, honestly, but she loves food and collected recipes. Not sure if this book is still around. She also kept some recipes that she had my great-aunt write out for her. There was also another Filipino cookbook she kept too, also stained and battered. She grew up in a pretty well to do household so didn't need to learn how to cook Filipino food until she came to the states in the late 1960s; thinking back on it now, that book was pretty much her cooking bible for all things Filipino.

MrsLOLcat
08-14-2013, 09:37 PM
I have two binders and my iPad, where I can access the Pinterest recipes that I've done and/or want to try. Anything I make multiple times gets printed and shoved into the proper binder.

dbmamaz
08-14-2013, 11:24 PM
for the record, my ipad has paprika recipe manager - you can import recipes directly from many websites, you can write directly in to it, you can copy-paste in to it, you can edit recipes even if you imported them from somewhere. I LOVE this app - it was the first app i paid for.

lakshmi
08-20-2013, 01:10 AM
okay when I get an Ipad i hope i remember this thread..

I have two recipe boxes. One with all the recipes my grandmother had.. and a wonderful card that states.. December 1937 christmas dinner...

That was her wedding day.. so awesome. it is wooden .. and I don't use it.. it just sits there with all her recipes.. maybe there is a good fudge recipe in there...???

My mothers.. unfortunately i threw away the recipes 20 years ago.. ooops.. I wish i had them now. but they sounded gross then.. I am sure they were gross.. But to have them in her handwriting.. hell she probably has one still. BUT this one is awesome.. from Avon, yellow with flowers. I use it for my SHE cards.. for cleaning.

Avalon
08-20-2013, 01:23 AM
I have a small notebook with handwritten recipes in it, plus a small box where I keep the notebook, plus all the recipes I've cut out of magazines or off the backs of food packages and labels. I don't do that very often anymore.

Nowadays, if I feel like I want something kind of asian-orange-ginger, or creamy-garlicky-noodles, or spicy curry I just google that and see what inspires me (that I can actually make with what I have in the house).

Crabby Lioness
08-21-2013, 04:54 PM
I come from a long line of bad cooks. The only halfway decent cook in the family was Mamaw, who couldn't smell and never tasted anything. She had a recipe box, but I don't remember what happened to it. I didn't get it, so it's doubtless destroyed by now.

neobunny
08-23-2013, 06:36 PM
Neither my mother or my grandmothers had any sort of recipe box or any cookbooks. I remember one cookbook my mother had, but it was in Portuguese so I have no clue what kind of recipes it had. My mother probably used it once or twice. I personally have way too many cookbooks and I never know what to make for dinner because I have too many damn choices. And don't even get me started on the recipes I have on my PC. I was thinking about consolidating all the recipes that I use on a regular basis, all my 'go to' recipes, into a binder, and then picking a new recipe once a week to try. I wouldn't mind getting some of the recipes that are stuck in my mom's head and putting them down on paper, but my husband hates most Portuguese food so it would be kind of a waste of time.

Leanne71
08-25-2013, 08:31 AM
My Mum didn't cook, she burnt!

I have my Little Nanna's Golden Wattle Cook Book, an Australian Classic. She wrote her own recipes in the back in her spiderweb writing. It is more of a treasured keepsake than a resource!

Crabby Lioness
08-26-2013, 10:29 PM
I remember my Little Witch's First Cookbook I got at a school book sale in -- it must have been 1972. It was written for second-graders and for many years was the only cookbook in our house!

dbmamaz
08-27-2013, 12:20 AM
was the only cookbook in our house!
Wow, took a minute for this to sink in. My mother helped write several cookbooks, and always had dozens of them. a house without cookbooks is like a house without . . . books . . . when my sister and i were on our own, we argued over her old Betty Crocker book so much, she took it back and wouldnt let either of us have it.

SusanC
08-27-2013, 09:04 PM
I have too many cookbooks, but when I'm sitting down to write a grocery list I get out my two mismatched recipe boxes with cards I've copied from magazines or other places. I also have my grandmother's recipe boxes, matching, handmade boxes crammed with hundreds of her recipes. I don't even know where to begin with those.

LadyXDM
08-28-2013, 12:58 PM
When I started on this thread I though I was a weirdo since I keep recipes on index cards in an actual box my mother-in-law gave me. It never occurred to me to keep recipes on an iPad!

dbmamaz, I have my mom's old Betty Crocker book and love it so much I bought a new one --one without the binding coming totally apart! While the recipes aren't fancy or gourmet, there's useful information on things like cuts of meat, making a crust, etc etc and all the recipes use 'normal' ingredients one probably has lying around the kitchen anyway. LOVE IT!

Crabby Lioness
08-28-2013, 02:47 PM
Amazon even sells recipe index card dividers.

I've never owned a Betty Crocker, but I'm on my fourth BH&G. The paperback, spiral-bound, and binder-bound all fell to pieces, so when I found a hardback on a clearance table I snatched it up.

dbmamaz
08-28-2013, 05:12 PM
My mom's betty crocker was from the early 60s. In the early 80s, when my sister and i were leaving home, the Betty Crocker books were full of 'recipes' that used mixes. The old one was all from scratch. Maybe they've gone back to scratch recipes, i havent looked.

Crabby Lioness
08-28-2013, 05:54 PM
My mom's betty crocker was from the early 60s. In the early 80s, when my sister and i were leaving home, the Betty Crocker books were full of 'recipes' that used mixes. The old one was all from scratch. Maybe they've gone back to scratch recipes, i havent looked.

*nods* That's why I stopped buying the Southern Living Annuals about 10 years ago. They went from being mostly from scratch to almost completely from mixes. And nobody proofs yeast anymore, they just through it in with the dry ingredients, which is the baking equivalent of Russian roulette.

dbmamaz
08-28-2013, 06:56 PM
i have never had my yeast not rise, though. i do store it in the freezer.

sdvelochick
08-29-2013, 02:27 AM
So funny you say that. Someone gave one to my mom and I decided I wanted to make sweet and sour chicken. The Recipe called for a can of sweet and sour sauce??? How is that a recipe exactly? I'm pretty sure everyone knows how to dredge and fry chicken. Dumb Dumb

I own a few recipe books which my husband's grandmother gave me. They are pretty old and falling apart and one was even a book that she used in home ed that she taught. Highlight of the books... a recipe for squirrel stew! bleck LOL. There is a killer recipe in the Fannie Farmer book which was obviously well loved for "Harvard Brownies." Most of my recipes come from the internet these days.

ScienceGeek
08-29-2013, 03:05 AM
We have an old drab (army?) green metal recipe box that my mil gave dh when he went off to grad school. She copied the cards for him from her stash. I mainly remember trying to do "Grandma Fel's Never fail pie dough" and let's just say I didn't do it again. I'm pretty good with cookies and brownies but pies and fudge not so much. I don't have Betty Crocker but I have the Joy of Cooking because a family friend was one of their recipe testers and gave me a signed copy - its my basic go to - what do I do with this?? We have a whole shelf of cook books and they kind of trace our history of where we lived - got the Ohio cookbook that relatives made as a fundraiser, the Texas cookbook from grad school, Southwest cookbooks from our time in NM and then some healthy cookbooks from when we lived in FL. Got Japanese and Greek cookbooks from our trips there and even a Russian cookbook from friends from Russia! But I have to admit, most nights if I need a recipe I jump on the internet. Thought about ditching some of the cookbooks recently but they're part of our history.

Gummers
08-29-2013, 05:18 AM
hm. Now I want a recipe box.