PDA

View Full Version : Homeschooling and Housework

Jadzia66
07-22-2010, 02:43 AM
How in the world are you suppose to keep your house clean when you homeschool? I did manage laundry and dishes on a daily basis. With the laundry I'd put a load in first thing in the morning then put it in the dryer at lunchtime. Fold it at night. With dishes I kept a dishpan full of soapy water and just washed up the dishes as they appeared when I had a few moments. But what about the rest?? I would usually sweep the kitchen floor a couple times a day and maybe vacuum twice a week (at night after the baby's toys were picked up) but that's it. Dusting? Ha! I haven't dusted in months... I need to shampoo my livingroom carpet in a huge way, my kitchen floor is the bane of my existence. The only thing that gets it clean is a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Mop... there is something wrong with the linoleum or something. What are your tips for doing housework and homeschooling? I don't expect my house to be pristine but I would at least not like to be embarrassed if someone stops by...

inmom
07-22-2010, 08:44 AM
What?!? We're supposed to homeschool AND have the house clean?

Seriously, around here what worked was enlisting the kiddos more and more as they've gotten older. There is no way I could homeschool, work part-time, and have all the chores done in and out of the house without their help. I realize yours are still young, but my kids were cleaning bathrooms, running a vacuum, doing dishes, and dusting when they were only about 8 or 9 years old. It wasn't always perfect, but it was better than nothing, and they've improved over time. As they've gotten older and more responsible, we've added more items. We all live here, so we all should be helping to keep house.

Also, try just focusing on one area at a time. At least it makes me feel I accomplished something, even if the next room is still a pig-sty.

ercswf
07-22-2010, 10:20 AM
I have found that a good routine Plus having my kids take over some chores has helped with keeping my house looking much better. My kids also get paid for certain chores. Then they are required to buy there own toys, we only get them gift toys for their birthdays and christmas. (working on changing how christmas is done)

camaro
07-22-2010, 10:54 AM
And don't forget that the spouse can run a broom or a dishrag, too. :)

MamaB2C
07-22-2010, 10:58 AM
I look at it this way: when I am old and reviewing my life, I can't imagine saying "I sure wish I had kept a cleaner house" or "I regret not being a better housekeeper".

I always keep this in mind with everything...when there is a conflict with my "what should I do with my time" which would I regret doing/not doing more? Putting my kid and family and even fun first keeps me fulfilled. The house is clean enough to be healthy and we have clean clothes. Good enough for me.

dottieanna29
07-22-2010, 11:19 AM

:D As soon as I saw the heading, this was going to be my answer. My kids are still a little young to help with many chores although I'm working on getting them to clean up their toys. Other than that, I make sure we have clean clothes, clean dishes and nothing is disgusting. We have clutter issues which make things even harder and I don't see us overcoming them until our new house is done so I guess you can say I've given up.

I agree that the chores and cleaning are not the things we are going to look back on with fond memories.

StartingOver
07-22-2010, 11:29 AM

Seriously, around here what worked was enlisting the kiddos more and more as they've gotten older.

I have found that a good routine Plus having my kids take over some chores has helped with keeping my house looking much better.

And don't forget that the spouse can run a broom or a dishrag, too. :)

I look at it this way: when I am old and reviewing my life, I can't imagine saying "I sure wish I had kept a cleaner house" or "I regret not being a better housekeeper".

I agree that the chores and cleaning are not the things we are going to look back on with fond memories.

I agree to all of these. I have the kids study home-ec., hubby helps out, I regularly declutter & I don't expect it to be perfect. My house gets a proper cleaning 4 times a year, Thanksgiving, Christmas, in March for Emma's birthday, and June for Quince's, and that is only because we have tons of company for the celebrations. The rest of the year if the house doesn't stink, nothing is growing ( well besides science projects LOL ), & my floors aren't crunchy, I am good !!!

When my older kids graduated, I never wished that we spent more time cleaning. I wished we spent more time making great big messes, art, science, playing in leaf piles, & etc. I luckily have a second chance... and beyond safety and health, housework is low on the list.

Theresa Holland Ryder
07-22-2010, 12:17 PM
Are you ankle deep in craft paper?
Is your kitchen table buried beneath Art project/Science Project/Scale Model of Ancient Troy?
Is there a Biology Experiment going on in your bathroom?
Was your mother in law almost killed in a book avalanche last time she visited your house?

. . .then you might be a homeschooler, my friend!

schwartzkari
07-22-2010, 04:24 PM
Are you ankle deep in craft paper?
Is your kitchen table buried beneath Art project/Science Project/Scale Model of Ancient Troy?
Is there a Biology Experiment going on in your bathroom?
Was your mother in law almost killed in a book avalanche last time she visited your house?

. . .then you might be a homeschooler, my friend!

HA HA HA HA HA HA! My thoughts exactly! :D

Around here, we just try to stick to a routine. I do certain chores on certain days, laundry is done every other day and I only pick up the kids toys once a day (anymore than that is a waste of my energy! lol.) I'm lucky though, my daughter REALLY likes to clean and will actually dust and sweep for me. My son isn't old enough to clean, just makes messes!

belacqua
07-22-2010, 04:48 PM
My homeschooling pal is selling her house and had the real estate agent over for an evaluation. She said the agent was very professional when he suggested she might want to move the mummified chicken out of the kitchen before the open house.

schwartzkari
07-22-2010, 05:14 PM
My homeschooling pal is selling her house and had the real estate agent over for an evaluation. She said the agent was very professional when he suggested she might want to move the mummified chicken out of the kitchen before the open house.

That has got to be the funniest thing I've read in a long LONG time!

ColourfulThreads
07-22-2010, 06:14 PM
When my older kids graduated, I never wished that we spent more time cleaning. I wished we spent more time making great big messes, art, science, playing in leaf piles, & etc. I luckily have a second chance... and beyond safety and health, housework is low on the list.

Jana, thank you so much for sharing this. None of my friends homeschool and many have immaculate homes. It's good to be reminded by those who have finished some chapters of their homeschool journey that the time spent making messes is never regretted and my choice to leave the house a little, okay very, messy is perfectly okay.

Melyssa
07-22-2010, 06:42 PM
I learned a long time ago to just lower my expectations. LOL It's gotten easier now that my daughter is older though and for the most part my house is not embarrassing. It's not always exactly deep cleaned but presentable enough. Then again, I'm a compulsive picker-upper so clutter here isn't too common. All that means is that my house seems cleaner than it really is. LOL

wild_destiny
07-22-2010, 07:06 PM
When I was in high school, our interior decorating class went to some very nice homes in OKC for a field trip on decorating styles. The first house where we went was a nice enough house, but the reason our teacher took us there was to see the way the lady of the house decorated. Her entire house was full--and I do mean FULL--of expensive, mostly glass, small figurines. These covered every surface in sight and it was really a dizzying sight. The house was pristine and super clean, no small feat with all those knick knacks everywhere. But what I remember the most (and that was over 20 years ago) was that the lady said she spent 3 hours every morning just in dusting the knick knacks. It blew me away that someone would spend that amount of time each and every day in something that frivolous. A clean house is one thing, but 3 hours a day just to keep up with dusting seems like a strange use of time. So I guess it is about priorities. Clearly, having well tended figurines was important to her. I would rather have something more substantial to show for my time (like watching tv--ha, ha). Most homeschoolers that I have met have reasonably clean homes, but they also have projects and books and signs of intelligent life in progress, which a super tidy neat home all too often negates. (Still, I envy that lady with her super clean neat and tidy house! Go figure!! :) )

Melissa541
07-22-2010, 08:15 PM
Oh boy, I can't wait to come back & read this one! I have to go tidy the kitchen while the girls eat dinner, collect the dry clothes from the line & put the wet ones out, scoop some cat poop, cajole a kid or two into taking care of the giant pile of books that need to be shelved, then put dried dishes away. THEN I'm going to come back & read everyone's responses. :D

Wilma
07-22-2010, 09:04 PM
I have nothing witty to contribute because I am too type A!:(

I've lowered my expectations. We DO live in our house, it isn't a model home! However, clutter and dirt bother me. And I feel like homeschooling naturally causes accumulation around here. I have Teaching Tanks in the kitchen, so I need the rest of the room to look somewhat put together. I do Sidetracked Home Executives, which is a card system of daily, weekly and monthly/seasonal chores. When you start it, it is a whittling down process and after a couple of months, things are under control. My youngest dd loves to pull the cards out every day and divide them up. I made plastic envelope things from photo laminating sleeves, so they keep them with them during the day and do a chore when they get a chance. My kids do not get an allowance and they are expected to contribute to the housework because they live here. However, some of the bigger jobs are paying jobs, like weeding, cleaning woodwork, organizing the spice cabinet. We are teaching the older 2 to run the lawn mower. I know a lot of people don't agree, but we feel they need to equate earning money with hard work. When people ask about character training, I point out working around the house here. My kids were sorting and doing basic laundry when they were 5 (sorting is a math exercise!) I feel like doing housework is also a way to help them learn to organize their time. If they have an evening activity and are dinner helper, they need to make sure the salad is made before they leave the house.

StartingOver
07-22-2010, 09:36 PM

LMAOOOOOOOO Oh the things you find in a homeschoolers house !! My brother is a realtor and he loves things like this, but also suggests putting them away.

StartingOver
07-22-2010, 09:39 PM
Jana, thank you so much for sharing this. None of my friends homeschool and many have immaculate homes. It's good to be reminded by those who have finished some chapters of their homeschool journey that the time spent making messes is never regretted and my choice to leave the house a little, okay very, messy is perfectly okay.

I am glad it helped !! I actually shovel most of the mess into the playroom - schoolroom just before hubby walks in the door. He knows though that as soon as he is in, the mess will migrate back out as the children must show him everything they did for the day !!

It is easier as they get older.

Sarbare0704
07-22-2010, 09:48 PM

I always keep this in mind with everything...when there is a conflict with my "what should I do with my time" which would I regret doing/not doing more? Putting my kid and family and even fun first keeps me fulfilled. The house is clean enough to be healthy and we have clean clothes. Good enough for me.

I love that way of thinking! I also stick to the idea that your dishes will still be there and your babies just keep growing before we know it they will be all independent i like to enjoy this while it lasts!

SherryZoned
07-22-2010, 10:29 PM
My kids clean..seriously at least twice a day they have to clean up. Now if the 2 1/2 year old would clean the house would not be bad at all lol. He is the main culprit. I do the laundry, but they have to help fold. The oldest sweeps the kitchen and dining room, cleans the table and sometimes loads or unloads the dishwasher. The 5 year old has to clean the living room and hallway but I vaccum. They all help cook which is a disaster in itself but we won't talk about mmy kitchen. You can eat it in the kitchen. It is not dirty it just looks like it because I hate cleaning the kitchen...Soon my little minions will clean the whole house HAHHHAHAH LOL j/k

who cares what your house looks like. If the people who don't come over are bothered by it then you did not want them there anyway.

Busygoddess
07-23-2010, 12:02 AM
I don't clean the house for other people, I do it for my own sanity. The kids start helping as toddlers. We do chores at least 3 times a day - a round in the morning, one in the afternoon, and one in the evening. We have daily chores such as dishes, a load of laundry, general straightening up, and sweeping the kitchen & whichever room(s) we eat in. Each room in the house is scheduled for a deep cleaning at least once a week. Each room has a person or pair of people assigned to clean it. That way, the chores are more evenly distributed.
Dea helps wash laundry; both kids fold & put away their laundry. Both kids help with dishes, loading & unloading the dishwasher, and Dea sometimes helps wash by hand. They are responsible for their own bedrooms, the stairs, the upstairs hall, and the dining room. I refuse to clean the bathroom, so hubby & Dea do that room. Hubby does litter boxes, cleans the basement, does most of the yardwork, and does his laundry. I do the kitchen, the office, the living room, master bedroom, some yardwork, some laundry, and decide who does what when we do general straightening.
Since we break the cleaning up into 3 rounds per day, it doesn't really seem like that much work, but allows us to get a lot done. For example, here's what we did today:
dining room - picked up mess, dirty laundry, school papers, books, swept floor, straightened closet
1 load of laundry - washed, dried, folded, & put away
dishes - dishwasher & by hand
kitchen - washed counters, island, chest freezer, stove, microwave (inside & out), cleaned out & washed fridge, garbage & recycling taken out
litter boxes
general picking up in living room & office - pick up dirty laundry (yes hubby & the kids seem to get their laundry everywhere), papers, school stuff, arts & crafts stuff, books, other misc. items
general pick up in bathroom - laundry, empty containers, fill soap container, wash out sink
kids bedrooms - laundry, toys, books, garbage

All that's left is doing the kitchen floor, which I don't do until everyone else is in bed.

All of that might look like a lot, but it really didn't take that much time. We had plenty of time for their schoolwork, they played outside (in the morning & after lunch) and inside, we watched some tv, read, prepared & ate meals, etc. When everyone stays on schedule, this works wonderfully for us. If someone gets sick or injured (especially me) and can't do their chores for a day or two, it takes weeks to get the place back in shape & everyone on schedule again. All 4 of us have ADHD & I'm the only one who really has any organizational skills (I'm teaching the kids organization & time management, but it's a long road). If it was up to the 3 of them, we'd live in squalor. I know some people think I'm crazy & that I need to ease up, let things slide, lower my standards, and I don't judge or look down on those who do that. My sanity simply wouldn't permit me to do it, though. I grew up in a disorganized family. Our house was a disaster & it was the job of the children (my sister & me) to clean pretty much all of it, plus take care of the pets, & do the yardwork. Even now as adults, my mom will call us to come clean her house if she's having people over. She'll volunteer her house for parties for our kids or for holidays, so that she can have us come clean for her. Then, she complains regularly about how much cleaning she does every day, as if she really does any. Dealing with a chronically disorganized & perpetually tardy family, combined with natural perfectionism, & having to learn to deal with my ADHD on my own, made me uberorganized, and rather OCD about certain things.

wild_destiny
07-23-2010, 11:22 AM
Brandi, glad the organizational skills you have are being put to good use. Still, though, it was a shock to read how your mother expects you to clean her house and that she will go to the extent of scheduling events at her house just so you will clean it. Must be frustrating.

jab300
07-23-2010, 11:59 AM
Dishes and laundry are the most important in our house so that's what I make sure and do everyday (and with 6 people in the house it seems like I do them all day lol!) I try and do cleaning in the afternoon, after lunch and errand running but before dh gets home from work and dinner gets started. Having a specific place for all the toys and books helps...when I say, "I'm coming through with the vacuum" the boys know to stop what they are doing and pick everything up off the floors. Since they know where it all goes it goes quickly. And those Lysol disinfecting wipes are my best friend...they make wiping kitchen counters and tables and bathroom cleaning quick and easy. :)

Jadzia66
07-24-2010, 02:16 AM
We try to get the kids to help and what is sad is that my 2 year old will help pick up but I can't get my 8 year old to do it without having a huge tantrum and by huge I mean HUGE. What really gets me is that she gets an allowance for helping. She doesn't get one for picking up her own messes because everyone in the house is responsible for their own mess but she gets an allowance for helping to pick up other type of messes... mostly the livingroom and diningroom every night. These are just toys too that Katie has gotten out. Sometimes she'll go for weeks without getting an allowance because we can't get her to help no matter what we do. Hubby does help out when he can but he works 12 hour swing shifts plus mandatory overtime and he usually walks around sleep deprived because of it. Even so, he does all the yard work when he's home (or snow blowing if it's winter and believe me, around here that can take up to 2 hours to get done.) I'm playing catch up right now since it's summer and doing some of the extra things that I didn't have time to due during the school year, like clean and organize our pantry for example. I don't know, some days I feel overwhelmed with housework and schooling and taking care of the kids and pets because sometimes the pets can be as much work as the kids. I want to work out a schedule of some sort while doing school too. I do have the rest of the summer to figure this out so hopefully I can come up with something!

dbmamaz
07-24-2010, 09:40 PM
I find that having an enforced routine helps - but my house is a disaster. i need to improve my routine. but the boys know, for example, that at the beginning of school day, we clean the dining room table. If anyone refuses to do the chore when I say, they are in time out until they are ready to do that chore. I will gladly stand over them in the time out, so they know I'm serious. I've never had to stand over anyone for more than 2 minutes - my kids are too adhd to out-wait me. Tantrums fall on deaf ears. But our chores are REALLY easy.

I've agreed to teach chemistry in a newly forming co-op, and i'll probably suggest that I teach at my house - since we are splitting in to 2 groups and the co-op founder's house is 2 miles from mine. OMG I NEED TO CLEAN! lol! Hopefully that pressure will push me back in to a good cleaning routine.

if you havent, check out flylady. Sometimes it works for me and sometimes it doesnt, but at least it makes it seem more achievable.

Busygoddess
07-25-2010, 01:55 AM
Brandi, glad the organizational skills you have are being put to good use. Still, though, it was a shock to read how your mother expects you to clean her house and that she will go to the extent of scheduling events at her house just so you will clean it. Must be frustrating.

Frustrating would be a mild way to explain dealing with my mom. She's the kind of person who is convinced that she's never wrong (even when presented with concrete evidence that she's wrong), a total control freak, blames everyone else for her problems, etc. The cleaning thing hasn't been so bad for the last year or so, ever since my mom & my sis moved in together. My sis, her boyfriend, and her kids do most of the house & yard work, now. Although, the living situation will be changing soon. My mom will be getting an apartment, so she won't really have room to have parties & big get-togethers. So, hopefully that means that the days of her calling to ask me to come clean are gone for good.

Whenever she would go away & ask either my sis or me to take care of the animals, we'd end up cleaning while we were there. Her house was so dirty (and so filled with pet hair) that we couldn't spend any time in that house without cleaning. My sis is allergic to cats & I have a sinus condition & asthma, so neither of us could breathe in her house until we cleaned it.