PDA

View Full Version : Pre-engineering Lego class?

Paula
08-10-2013, 09:53 AM
There is a new class available in our area: Pre-engineering Lego Design. My almost 8yo has only recently become interested in Legos (within the last 5 months or so). He doesn't really spend a lot of time with Legos but claims to like them. When I told him about this class, he seemed genuinely excited to try it.

I'm just wondering, for those of you whose kids have tried this sort of class, how did they like it? What can I expect? What sort of things do they do?

I appreciate any and all insight!

Teri
08-10-2013, 09:55 AM
We have done several legos classes. They are always very well thought out and implemented. Lego has an entire educational division. My kids loved the robotics classes they did.

They typically given a problem to solve using legos. For robotics, that involved building it and programming it.

Take2
08-10-2013, 02:35 PM
Are you near a Bricks4Kidz franchise? My son is 8 and is also a "late" lego user. We attended a Bricks4Kids "class" and both my kids really liked it. I thought it was well-run and the kids did seem to learn some stuff. They also got to come home with a Lego Minifig (a bonus!). He also attended a Robotics Camp this summer which utilized the Lego WeDo robotics system - it was GREAT! A little expensive, but worth it.

farrarwilliams
08-10-2013, 04:07 PM
I've heard different things about different outfits near us - there are a lot of these companies now. When we were at Brickfair, we saw two different booths for companies that do this and I'm aware of at least two more in our area alone. So I would ask around locally. But generally, good stuff.

sbweldon
08-13-2013, 10:56 AM
Our son did a Lego class last year and loved it. The one he did focused on simple machines. They would have a different concept each week where the kids would work in teams on a specific challenge. We initially signed him up just for the fun factor and were pleasantly surprised when we realized he was learning physics and engineering concepts while he was playing. After we saw how well it worked for him we started using Legos for a lot of subjects at home too.