PDA

View Full Version : Gettysburg?

hockeymom
08-08-2013, 08:53 AM
We will be driving through the vicinity of Gettysburg and have the option of staying in the area for a half day or so. O wise and local ones, is there any point in going there just for a few hours? Or is it better saved for when we have more time (although truthfully, we probably wouldn't get there otherwise)? Any recommendations for what to see/do in such a limited time?

Thanks!

Mum
08-08-2013, 09:31 AM
For your little guy in particular, I'd say find the section that covers horse and buggies and other pre-car modes of transportation. ;)

Pilgrim
08-08-2013, 11:53 AM
We visited last year, staying only a few hours. While it could easily take a whole day, a short visit is good, too. Our kids really enoyed the Cyclorama. We saw the film, walked through the museum, and walked the grounds. We didn't have time to walk the cemetery or go on a tour. It is definitely worth a visit.

crazymama
08-08-2013, 12:03 PM
Definitely the visitors center mentioned above, we haven't ever done the movie, but I have littler kids yet who wouldn't sit through it, but the museum is GREAT! If you ask at the desk there is a scavenger hunt type question list that can be done through the museum... it's in a booklet that you can grab for free (from what I heard... we saw someone doing it last time we were there). Also, in the bookstore at the visitors center you can get a set of cds (actually, there are several options, we chose the 3 cd, 3 hour audio drama set) that guides you on a tour. We all really enjoyed this, surprisingly. If you had more time, I would suggest getting the Boy Scout guide (also available at the visitors center bookstore.. and it's cheap), and doing the 3 mile hike (it takes 4 hours), there are also other parts to that book and you can order a really cool patch set.. but one part is a 10 mile hike! You don't have to be a Boy Scout to buy the book, and it looks like pretty much anyone can order the patch set if you complete it. My family really has enjoyed working through the book... even my littles liked the 3 mile hike!