PDA

View Full Version : NPR Reading List for 9-14s

Overhere
08-06-2013, 05:20 PM
The Ultimate Backseat Bookshelf: 100 Must-Reads For Kids 9-14 : NPR (http://www.npr.org/2013/08/05/207315023/the-ultimate-backseat-bookshelf-100-must-reads-for-kids-9-14)

This list makes me wish I was 11 and had about a year of free time to re-read the ones I have read and to fill in all the gaps. The All Of A Kind Family! (Man, I sometimes miss being 11.)

Posting here because people have mentioned wanting quality reading lists.

MrsLOLcat
08-06-2013, 06:48 PM
Nice! DS and I just went through it... he's read almost half of them so far. I'm bookmarking this for later. Awesome.

WindSong
08-06-2013, 06:58 PM
Great list! I didn't realize that NPR had a kid's book club. We are excited to check that out. Thanks for posting.

farrarwilliams
08-06-2013, 07:40 PM
Yeah, I saw this posted the other day and I liked it. A month from turning 9 yo, my kids are a third of them down, mostly as read alouds, though several as independent reads. And a lot of those are on the required reading list that I had made for fourth grade. I liked that light page turners like Wimpy Kid and Ember were on it with more meaty kid fare like Earthsea and One Crazy Summer. And I liked that there were classics and newer books. I thought a few of them were on the upper end of the age range, but most of them are great books for the younger end too.

mamaraby
08-06-2013, 09:34 PM
Love this list! Thanks for sharing! :0)

jess97
08-07-2013, 09:24 AM
Wow! This is great! Thank you!

Teri
08-07-2013, 09:48 AM
I think this list was taken from nominations by listeners and then "professionals" culled it down. I bookmarked it the other day. I think my kids have read over half of them (some for school, some on their own).

SimplyTheGoodLife
08-07-2013, 10:11 AM
Thanks for posting. I'll be hanging on to the list in case my DD9 complains that she can't find anything to read.

Stella M
08-08-2013, 08:05 PM
The only one I'd take off that list is the Kate DiCamillo book. I find her books so twee. And also really depressing.

SolsticeDreamer
08-08-2013, 08:37 PM
Thank you. What a good selection.

bibiche
08-08-2013, 09:25 PM
Thanks for posting this. DS has read a number of them, but there are lots more that he hasn't read. He asked me to add "he will read all of the books on the NPR list" to this year's education plan.

jess
08-08-2013, 09:43 PM
I wish they'd separated out the ages a little more. There are several on the list that I'm not sure I'd want a 9-11 year old reading, though I'd be ok with a 13 or 14 year old. And that makes me wonder about the content in the ones I'm not familiar with.

Maybe I'm just overprotective.

Stella M
08-08-2013, 09:54 PM
No, there are books on that list that a 9 year old could read perfectly well, but might get more out of as an older reader. And then there are other books that would be perfectly fine for 4 or 5 year olds to listen to.

jess
08-08-2013, 11:12 PM
I don't like sexual assault in books aimed at pre/young teens. I'd rather it have plain old consensual sex content, and even that, not for preteens unless it's very minor.

Pet peeve.

farrarwilliams
08-09-2013, 01:29 AM
Yeah, there were maybe half a dozen or so books on that list I wouldn't give a 9 or 10 yo. And the list led with some of them, which was an interesting choice.

jess
08-09-2013, 02:49 PM
I'm reading the comments now, and it looks like those people are all complaining about the maturity, too (or else complaining because their particular favorite wasn't included. Geez people, they can't include every book ever written!).

It wouldn't bother me so much if they had a warning that all books might not be suitable for the whole age range, but I can totally see people finding an expert-approved list from a trusted source for a particular age range and telling their kid to read these books without realizing that the content may not be what they expect.

SimplyTheGoodLife
08-10-2013, 04:31 PM
I'm not certain exactly how helpful it will be, but I searched for some of the titles on CommonSense Media (http://www.commonsensemedia.org/reviews) and found several. I'm sure some of the titles are not listed, but it's a place to start looking for content ratings. For a couple of the titles, I didn't find the book listed in the system, but I did find ratings for movies based on the book.

farrarwilliams
08-10-2013, 05:04 PM
Common Sense can be a decent place to start, but I really dislike that they're homophobic in their ratings. A chaste same sex kiss or a same sex relationship that has nothing happen (such as a character having two moms or something in a children's or YA book) gets a higher warning label than the same content in about a non-same sex couple. It's the main place I see their Christian values come out strong.

Stella M
08-10-2013, 08:02 PM
Ds uses CM to self-guide his media consumption :) But he will also take into account the parent/kid ratings in the comments, which tend to be a little looser. I'm glad to know about the homophobic stuff. That's something to keep an eye on.

SimplyTheGoodLife
08-13-2013, 09:56 AM
Thanks for mentioning the homophobic tendencies. I hadn't encountered that yet; but now know to watch out for it.