PDA

View Full Version : Algebra 1 in 7th grade

squiremouse
08-04-2013, 09:00 AM
I am bringing my boy home. Last year in PS wasn't a good fit especially after being hs'd his entire life.

So he is starting Algebra 1 in 7th grade. Nothing I have found has said how to count it for High school credit when it is only 7th grade. Can it be done? How do I document it? Does he need to repeat it next year for credit. I am using Mathhelper.com.

Thanks-
Mia

Teri
08-04-2013, 09:11 AM
I think this will depend on how you report to your state or if you have to.
My 10 year old is doing Algebra I. I am going to put it on the transcript with 9th grade next to it without a year.
We don't have to report anything to the state. This will be only for purposes of college applications.

inmom
08-04-2013, 09:18 AM
My son completed 4 years of high school math before officially hitting 9th grade. I simply have a section near the beginning of his (on-going) transcript titled "High School courses completed before 9th grade" that contains those classes and a geology course he took in 8th grade. For college apps, just make sure you show progression in math through the high school years. This can be tricky depending on where you live. We're lucky in that we have a campus of Purdue nearby, so ds will have 6 semesters of college math there also. (I'm teaching him Discrete Math this year. He'd run through all the math courses at the college w/o me doing this as a fill-in.)

farrarwilliams
08-04-2013, 09:49 AM
I've seen several discussions about this "over there" (aka on the WTM forum) and what I got from them was it depends on your state. So I'd ask on a local list if you have one. Apparently this is not allowed in some states and is allowed in others. If you're planning to homeschool all the way through, it matters less because you can write it up on his transcript however you want. However, if there's a set number of high school credits that you need, even as a homeschooler, in your state, then it will matter more again.

hockeymom
08-04-2013, 10:31 AM
DS will be doing algebra next year (6 th grade by ps standards). My plan right now is to start keeping more official records beginning this year (start of middle school at home). Whether he goes to the public high school for grade 9, stays home, or takes classes at either the community college or our local liberal arts college, I'll start his high school transcripts starting where he is at that point. I guess if you are taking calculus, it's pretty clear that you've already mastered the things that precede it.

dbmamaz
08-04-2013, 11:51 AM
Yeah, i actually skipped algebra 1 between 7th and 8th, but the private school I was in did a combined approach with algebra 2 and geometry after algebra 1, so I started w geometry in 9th grade when i went back to public school. so algebra 1 was not on my transcript at all. My high school transcripts just had geometry, algebra 2, pre-calc and calc.

but i know that here in VA, you need a certain number of 'verified' math credits to graduate high school, meaning that you've passed the state standards test, and my daughter passed the state standard algebra 1 test in 8th grade, and that did count towards her diploma.

my older son will be graduating from homeschool, and going to community college, and i'm just not worried at that level. they make all kids take a math pre-test and they place them from that.

My rising 5th grader is doing weird math, but im pretty sure he'll be doing algebra 1 in 7th at the latest - i'm hoping to get him in to a math and science specialty center for high school. So again, he'll still have 4 years of math during high school.

So yes, either you can mention it was done before high school, or just accept that you have plenty of math on the high school transcript and its obvious, as Hockey said, that if you've done calc and stat, you obviously mastered algebra 1.

sdvelochick
08-04-2013, 12:49 PM
I did Algebra in 7th grade in public school and then went through Calc 2. As long as your continue math, I don't see it being an issue. You just need the 4 years. If Calc 2 is of no interest to your child, they can always do statistics.

squiremouse
08-04-2013, 05:29 PM
I'm in MD, in one of the looser counties from what I have heard. Boyo will make the choice about high school in a couple years but I have the distinct feeling he wants to be home the whole way through. He is very small for his age and rather introverted in groups, plus it doesn't help that he has a bit of a speech problem and he sounds even younger than he is.

Thanks for he advice about how to work his transcript. Could coursera courses count as high school?

Mia

BarbaraH
08-06-2013, 10:03 PM
Many schools offer algebra 1 to some 7th graders. So, it is not unheard of. If he plans to go back to public school for high school it will depend on your local requirements. It is no guarentee that he will get credit for it, but keep his homework, a copy of the topics covered (such as a photocopy of the table of contents of the book he uses) and graded tests that show his work.

One thing that is happening in my area is that public school students who take and pass algebra I, still need to take a placement test before beginning algebra II in 9th grade.

farrarwilliams
08-06-2013, 10:59 PM
My understanding from teaching middle school at a private school in MD awhile back is that algebra I in middle school can count as a high school credit in MD, but I don't know the specifics. I'd ask on a local list... There are tons around me and lots of Baltimore lists as well.

kohlby
08-11-2013, 11:08 PM
I'd worry about it later. If it needs to go on a transcript, then list in a before 9th grade section. We haven't figured out if my child will be skipped any grades, go to the governor's school for 11th and 12th, do dual enrollment, or just do a beefed up high school curriculum. So, I'm writing it all down and will worry about transcripts later. He took Algebra I in 4th grade. (Actually did some of MUS Alg I in 3rd grade but that wasn't a good fit for him so switched to the much more challenging Art of Problem Solving). Keep in mind that an advanced student may run into math maturity issues at some point too. You may need to slow down. You may need to repeat. I would pick the most challenging curriculum you can for an advanced child, even if it means more than one year of Alg I. There's lots more math classes than the traditional list. After Alg I, my son took Intro to Number Theory. He'll be doing Alg II this year, in 5th grade. Then Geometry if he's ready. If not, then he'll do Intro to Probability. I haven't a clue what his upper high school or college plans look like, so we're just figuring it out as we go and writing up transcripts later - not until we need to.

kohlby
08-11-2013, 11:09 PM
About Alg I counting, I used to teach Alg I to 8th graders and it did count as high school credit. It may depend on the school's program. Since it was a high school class and counted for credit, I had to be high school certified to teach. The same was true for the English I class that the 8th graders took. This is in SC.