PDA

View Full Version : No Impact Project curriculum

Melissa541
07-21-2010, 02:33 PM
http://noimpactproject.org/educators-middle-high-school-environment-curriculum-html/

We just watched a very interesting documentary, No Impact Man, about a family who tries for a year to have no negative impact on the earth (no trash, eating only locally grown food, no electricity, no cars, etc). I looked up their site, noimpactproject.org & found they offer a free curriculum. It says it's made for grades 6-12, but can be adapted for younger children. It looks really interesting, so I thought I'd share.

I know several of you have Netflix; this documentary is available on the instant streaming thingy. There were just a couple of bad words in it, so if you're sensitive to that, you may want to watch it before the kiddos & be prepared to mute at the appropriate spots. :)

inmom
07-21-2010, 05:53 PM
Very interesting! Thanks!

DDuckie
07-22-2010, 12:51 PM
We watched it a few months ago. Our oldest especially has been very green for a long time, so this might be something that appeals to him. Thanks!

hockeymom
07-24-2010, 09:29 AM
I've seen the video at Blockbuster but haven't watched it yet. This curriculum looks amazing, and very easy to adapt to a younger student. DS has always been very environmentally aware and this would appeal to him immensely. I love the idea of taking a camera around (the curriculum says around school, but could as easily be around town or whatever) to document various advertising. DS has recently started watching more TV (usually Discovery but also sports channels) and thus more commercials, which he hates and is amazed by. Not amazed by all the stuff, but by the ways that advertisers try to get us to buy useless junk. Even a 7 year old is well tuned to their tricks! Thanks for this link--I can't wait to put together a study unit incorporating some of the ideas.

Sarbare0704
07-24-2010, 11:46 AM
That is cool! We also watched this a couple moths ago.

adlib77
07-26-2010, 12:19 AM
Sweet! This is great! Thank you! I loved the documentary and this is one of those things our family is working toward (well, not impact-free, but significantly less impact).